U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 39,177 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm headed back to Nevada after living in Florida for 10 years. I grew up in Gardnerville, and recently realized how much I miss it. I will be headed back out to the area but will be attending college at Univ. of Nevada Reno. So I've been looking for apartments, and can't seem to find more than say 2 that allow dogs over 25 lbs!!!! I have a 30lb hound mix that I refuse to part with, and I can't believe it's this hard to find an apartment that will allow him. Here in FL there are hardly ever weight restrictions, and if there are, its like 50 lbs.

I would be interested in an apartment anywhere in the area, Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Gardnerville, Minden, anywhere in that area. Looking under 700 a month.

Any ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 19,493 times
Try going to http://www.forrent.com and search the reno metro area. I did it quickly and found 8 that said they would take pets in the 500 - 750 price range. Don't give up your dog, he wouldn't give you up

Also check with UNR's Student Union about housing. I think property owners list "student" friendly housing with them.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 62,942 times
I just had to say it's really nice to see someone who wont give up their dog because they are moving.

You wouldnt believe how many dogs (and cats) get put to sleep because their owners moved & didnt care enough to find a place that allowed pets.

Good luck to you on your move

Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 39,177 times
thanks for the link, i found quite a few on there. And yeah, there's no way I could give up my dog, he's like my child. I don't understand how people can just give them away after years of ownership. I saved his life, I got him from a kill shelter the day before he was to be euthanized, and in a way he saved my life too, I was going through depression after losing my mother and grandmother and he helped me through it.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 PM

54 posts, read 383,352 times
Pet friendly but rather expensive would be South Meadows Vintage Apartments, and maybe the Lake Ridge apartments. South Meadows has a pond in the back of the complex where you can walk and toss a ball or stick in the pond : )
Make sure to negotiate rental rate with them. Also great dog kennel/camp to help while hunting is Honey Bears Kennel in Lemmon Valley.
Hope this helps!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 24,647 times
Default Dog Friendly!

Brookside Villas in Reno! I moved in with 2 dogs 40 & 75 lbs. I could not part with them either!!!! Rent is 600 aprox for a one bedroom. Across street is Idlewild park (dog friendly) near Truckee river where I take my dogs to play in the water!
Brookside Villas (775) 322-9005 : 1850 Idlewild Dr, Reno, NV
Tell her KC in "A" building sent you.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 18,813 times
Default Idle Wild Apt.

I really appreciate this forum. I have an extremely sweet 55 lb. dog and also experiencing difficulty finding a 2 bdrm I called the apartment across from Idle Wild park and they said that the dogs must be less than 45 lbs. Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM

54 posts, read 383,352 times
Default suggestion reno ap

Scraps Pet food and bakery
3892 Mayberry Dr
Reno, NV 89519
(775) 787-3647

I would recommend calling our favorite pet store for their ideas (see above). Also the vet next door, Alpine Vet is great and very helpful. Some apartment search engines could help Rent.com etc. The new Humane society might even have a list of pet friendly apartments. I didn't like renting at the Vintage at South Meadows, expensive BUT they did rent to larger dogs and that big pond is a great place for them to swim and cool off.
Other suggestion: Craigslist
I found Reno to be very pet friendly.
Best of luck!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 18,813 times
Great ideas, thanks so much!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,403 times
Default Update

Know this is an old thread, but have what I think is a relevant update. We are thinking of relocating to Reno, closer to family and love Tahoe. We want to rent while we figure out where we want to buy. Situation is complicated as we have two greyhounds (females so on the smaller side, 60 and 45 lb) and a little 11 lb mix. Called Vintage at South Meadows, was originally told no problem. In about an hour I received an email saying they don't take greyhounds.

While I recognize the apartment manager has the right to make this call, it is misguided, the typical greyhound isa well-behaved smart dog, does well in an apartment with a couple of 15 minute walks a day, can't ask for a better dog. The more insidious issue is it may discourage adoption of rescue greys, an important part of dealing with the damage the greyhound racing industry wreaks on these animals. So for this reason, even if you don't have a greyhound, would urge you to look elsewhere if you have a pet (or even if you don't have a pet, but sympathize with the greyhound rescue effort). Luckily appears we have found a more understanding apartment manager in Renowho will take us and our brood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or