Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 14,255 times

Advertisements

My husband, I and 2 very small children will be moving to Reno the end of May. I have a few questions. I've spent most of my life in Phoenix, Las Vegas and the last few months in Waco (dallas) Texas. The last time I lived in snow I was 10yrs old (Philla) and I can remember is that I hated it, no matter how many layers of clothing I wore I was always wet and cold, I couldn't move in my snowsuit and there were several times the door locks froze! And the only driving experience in snow was while in flagstaff and fishtailed on some black ice, in phoenix if it rained you just waited 15 minutes and the sun was out again, I never really had to drive in it. Whats it like to live in the snow? Do I need snow tires? What things should I purchase to live there? Clothing, car items, how do you dress your kids for that kind of weather? Do they make classes, websites, books for dummies on how to deal with living in weather? Any input or link would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippilada View Post
My husband, I and 2 very small children will be moving to Reno the end of May. I have a few questions. I've spent most of my life in Phoenix, Las Vegas and the last few months in Waco (dallas) Texas. The last time I lived in snow I was 10yrs old (Philla) and I can remember is that I hated it, no matter how many layers of clothing I wore I was always wet and cold, I couldn't move in my snowsuit and there were several times the door locks froze! And the only driving experience in snow was while in flagstaff and fishtailed on some black ice, in phoenix if it rained you just waited 15 minutes and the sun was out again, I never really had to drive in it. Whats it like to live in the snow? Do I need snow tires? What things should I purchase to live there? Clothing, car items, how do you dress your kids for that kind of weather? Do they make classes, websites, books for dummies on how to deal with living in weather? Any input or link would be appreciated!

From reading your message, you will absolutely hate living in Reno. I also was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. I decided to move to Reno. Even though I moved in April, it was cold and it snowed a few times that month. I also found that the job market is also much worse than Vegas or Phoenix. By the end of the month, I decided to try Vegas. I have stayed here now for three years and I love it. I would suggest going back to Phoenix or Vegas and forget Reno all together.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 PM

173 posts, read 979,584 times
I read your post and all I can think is... you will not like it here. You'll be cold and miserable and will be paranoid to go out at all should it rain/snow. It isn't extreme here at all, but I still think you'd do better farther south.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM

60 posts, read 234,560 times
Well, I think you could get used to it. They make much better (and lighter!) snow jackets/clothing than they did when you were growing up. If you have the right clothing/equipment you will be comfortable.

Most people have all terrain tires. You can keep them on year-round unlike snow tires which have to be taken off come spring/summer.

Driving can be nerve wracking the first few years if you are not used to snow. But we don't get the piles of snow that some areas do and if you have a 4-wheel drive that will really help.

Lake Tahoe and the Sierra's are beautful and I would choose it any day over Las Vegas, especially if you have children. There are some good public schools (Jessie Beck Elementary, etc.) and good private ones too. The summers here are great - hiking, fishing, a huge waterpark in Sparks.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 AM

14 posts, read 74,510 times
Default Come on - it's not that bad!

Funny, we just had snow not too long ago - just a brief flurry, then it was as if it had never snowed. Since you are already on your way there is no sense listening to the posters who told you not to come. You will do fine; snow clothing IS way different than years ago and yes, you WILL need a four-wheel-drive vehicle. My brother gets by with a front wheel drive compact and swears he just drives very slowly in the winter, but if you are nervous at all, be sure to drive something built for mud and snow; it will give you confidence to drive carefully. They plow the streets and kids ride school buses through the snow. Cross country skiing or snowshoeing is awesome with your family and you don't get cold because you're moving all the time. In Reno, if there is a huge storm there are warnings early and often; people do stay home if they are afraid to drive in it. It isn't as if you get snowed in for days. We haven't lost power in years due to the weather - at least not in our part of town. In the last five years we had only one winter that had feet of serious snow in the yard. Of course, then it flooded when it all melted My husband hates Phoenix and he has to travel there often - he says Reno is nicer by far and you can actually be outdoors in the summer; your kids will love it!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,691 times
Default Its NOT that BAD

Well, I moved here from Arizona 5 yrs ago and it happened to be one of the worse winters when we moved here, I dont know, but its not as bad as these people are making it out to be. Yes. If you prefer the 120 degree heat...Then stay in Phoenix!! But the summers here get pretty hot too, you are closer to sun here and will burn. I have an older car and not once have I had to use chains or snow tires. Reno is beautiful, I traded in the heat for the gorgeous seasons that you get to see in full bloom every year! Nothing dies, it just goes dormat. Sure I miss Az. and I miss the monsoon rains and the smell of rain on the dry desert. But I DO NOT miss the Heat! My daughters eczema is under control here as well as her asthma.

As for the employment issue, come on, where isn't it bad? Nevada was the first of the states to fall under this economic crisis. There are jobs to be found-You just need to WORK at looking for one!

Give Reno a Try, you just might like it. I Did.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM

33 posts, read 63,109 times
I'm from Las Vegas, and lived in Reno for 6 years. Reno gets cold for a few months, but it's not as bad as some of these other posters make it out to be. Cold in Reno is only teens and 20's, which is bearable as opposed to many other parts of the country. Reno is also a dry area, so while it does snow here and there, there's not a whole lot of precipitation overall, which means that you aren't going to get bombarded day after day.

Coming from Phoenix, you will be in for some shock, but you may learn to like having some seasonal weather, and Reno still gets hot in the summer.

Driving will be scary at first, and I would recommend 4-wheel drive if you can get it. I was stuck in a rear-wheel pick-up with no weight in the back, and I did have a couple harrowing moments my first winter. Just remember to drive slow, keep lots of distance in front of you, and go easy on the brakes. Also keep in mind that there's maybe only 10-20 days all year that you will need to worry about it, so get a ride from a friend or co-worker those days if you don't feel comfortable.

Good luck

Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,695 times
Like Pippilada, My family and I to are planning to move to Reno by August. We are from Chicago, and I don't think Reno's winter isn't anything like Chicago.

Are there any links I can check out for Reno?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Haha, live in the snow? I didn't know Reno was part of Alaska. The only time you need a 4x4 in Reno is if you live in the hills or you want to go over the passes. If you are in the flat valley just go slowly and nothing happens. There aren't any ice storms for the most part so if it is snowing that is plenty of traction for street driving.

But you will think you are going to freeze to death a few times in January and at those times you will be wishing for snow because that would warm things up. Nothing like walking out in a 15 degree night with a stiff breeze...

Old 05-24-2009, 04:50 PM

170 posts, read 270,884 times
Driving in the snow is not that bad, it depends on what part of Reno you move to. If you move to the North Valleys the snow drive can be bad, only one way into town the further north you live. The roads can get icy further north and the snow does last longer than in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area