U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 PM

16 posts, read 72,782 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to Reno next summer (2009). We have a 7 month old son and two large dogs. I will be attending graduate school at UNR. I was wondering what areas we should look in for housing. We would like a nice safe neighborhood, that is good for kids. Also if anyone knows any good childcare facilities. Thank you for any suggestions.

Brittney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:02 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,949 times
I would say either NW Reno or in the southern area. NW would be an easy commute to UNR.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:05 AM

2 posts, read 15,819 times
Depends on how far your able/willing to drive for school. Sparks is great. Washoe County is not known for great schools, parent involvement in a MUST here. There are severl good schools in the area, feel free to email me once you decide on location and I will give you some info on schools in the area faithispossiblenoteasy@yahoo.com. Housing is fair 3bd looking at 800-1100 in good areas. Child care is all over, between public and private care givers check out craigslist.com for childcare and rental info. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM

40 posts, read 115,765 times
Big dave is spot on, We just moved here from NYC 6 mos. ago and did a lot of research and spent time here before moving here. My wife actually secured employment here before our move as the job market here is not the best, there are jobs but payscale out of sync with price of homes.
The NW and South are the only places we considered as the schools in those communities are best, as Nevada ranks poorly nationwide this was a huge consideration. Be careful driving here, I drove for 30 yrs in NYC and did not witness or encounter as may rude or selfish drivers as I have in the past 6 mos.
People seem really nice here, until some get in their cars.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM

171 posts, read 701,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickboxer View Post
Big dave is spot on, We just moved here from NYC 6 mos. ago and did a lot of research and spent time here before moving here. My wife actually secured employment here before our move as the job market here is not the best, there are jobs but payscale out of sync with price of homes.
The NW and South are the only places we considered as the schools in those communities are best, as Nevada ranks poorly nationwide this was a huge consideration. Be careful driving here, I drove for 30 yrs in NYC and did not witness or encounter as may rude or selfish drivers as I have in the past 6 mos.
People seem really nice here, until some get in their cars.
That comes from the Bay Area transplants. They cannot drive.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:45 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,634,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizrade View Post
That comes from the Bay Area transplants. They cannot drive.
Thats a fact! You can tell who the real native Nevadans are ....their the ones that show you courtesy on the road. Us lifers are getting to be an endangered species and those of us left are longing for the Once Ways. As to housing Sparks has some good neighborhoods on the East side of McCarran and as it's been said NW and South are pretty decent to. Golden Valleys' not bad and parts of Lemmon Valley But steer clear of Central Sun Valley and Panther Valley. Pretty rough there and not good places for Kids.Do your homework on neighborhoods. There are a lot of places you don't want to even go near. Neil road north of Pekham and the Hug High school area north of Oddie blvd are wayyy rough( Sutro /Montello area in specific) Good luck

Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 14,483 times
NW is a great bet for you... nice neighborhoods, slightly cheaper to live, and best schools. mcqueen hs is the best in reno

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 AM

171 posts, read 701,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Thats a fact! You can tell who the real native Nevadans are ....their the ones that show you courtesy on the road. Us lifers are getting to be an endangered species and those of us left are longing for the Once Ways.
Well I am an 8th generation Native Californian/Nevadan, and my family has been the the Reno, VC, Carson, Tahoe, Sierra County and Nevada County region since before it was America. I know what you are missing, I miss it as well. It is all but gone across the state line, and vanishing here as well.

I remember going to VC for bday parties when I was young, and having a traffic jam on Old 395 south of McCarren. Bunch of Cattle got out and were just standing around on the road.

I also remember people carrying rifles in the pickups, and nobody stealing them or caring.

Gone like the wind.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 13,822 times
Default moving to reno too...

hello everyone, we also moving to reno this summer. I've been looking at the steads area. we are coming from florida and don't know much about the area. I've been looking at alot of places off hwy395 in exteme NW reno. they look nice on the internet but its just hard to tell with out being there. any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 05-30-2009, 07:38 PM

72 posts, read 263,824 times
I've lived in the Reno-Tahoe area for over 30 years. The area you refer to off of 395 are called the North Valleys.
Stead is cheap, but its not very nice, and you have to drive a long ways to get to a decent restaurant, a nice store, a theatre, any cultural venue, or just about anything that makes this area so nice.
All of the areas in the North Valleys range from so-so to mediocre.
The best areas in the Reno are, in order: the Old Southwest, the rest of the Southwest, and the South Suburban. House prices and rents have crashed here the last few years, so if you look you can find reasonably priced homes and reasonable rents. Not sure if you are interested in buying, but if you are NOW IS THE TIME, prices here have dropped 40% or more from their peaks in late 2005 - early 2006.
Check out the June edition of Men's Journal Magazine. It rated the Old Southwest as one of the 30 best neighborhoods in the United States.
Not sure what area of Florida you are from, but Reno prices are similar to a lot of coastal towns in Florida, and less then some.
Re crime, most areas are safe. However, there are a few areas to avoid: the Neil Road area, Northeast Reno, Sun Valley, and the some of the areas immediately to the west of downtown. Once you are south of the Truckee River you get to the nice areas I refer to in my 4th paragraph above.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area