Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 PM

38 posts, read 199,848 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are trying to move from the San Francisco Bay Area to NW Reno. We have been watching the local Electrical union, and now the SF & Reno locals are in the same slow down.

I work F/T from home, so as long as I have internet access & have a job. I was thinking of getting a P/T job at Northstar at Tahoe for the winter in order to have some more money while DH looks for work (until the union picks up).

Is it fairly easy to get to Truckee from Reno for most of the season? I have a sedan and was going to buy cables for it so I could commute in the snow when needed. I don't want to buy a 4x4, this vehicle isn't paid off yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,590 times
well, you'll be using those chains a lot. We're talking snow storms here, where sometimes the roads are closed due to inclement weather. You may want to reconsider an SUV or awd vehicle.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:11 PM

162 posts, read 466,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed57 View Post
well, you'll be using those chains a lot. We're talking snow storms here, where sometimes the roads are closed due to inclement weather. You may want to reconsider an SUV or awd vehicle.
Very true. Some storms you have to have either 4WD and AWD with snow tires in order to be allowed to pass; meaning you wont even be allowed to drive up... definitely not the BEST idea, but you could probably work it...

A friend of mine had a Front-wheel-drive Mitsubishi Mirage, but he took one of the AWD(All-wheel-drive) badge off of his old Subaru, super-glued it on, so whenever the road safety guys would try to stop him he'd just say "No, its cool, its All-Wheel-Drive" and point to the badges. haha It always works for him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area