U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 18,941 times

Advertisements

Okay,here is the deal,I was originally going to relocate to Las Vegas(and some day hopefully I will) but your city and you folks in Reno have seduced me otherwise LOL.A few reasons are I have always lived in a big city and want a smaller city atmosphere,I enjoy dry weather,I love cold weather, I read that Reno is the friendliest town in Nevada,and since this is the first time living on my own I thought a place like Reno would be more of a rational choice than "Tubo Speed" Las Vegas which might be a little too fast and expensive for me.Anyway I have a few quick questions for you guys:1)Is the Greyhound Bus station located in a bad area of town?2)What is the main grocery store in Reno?3)Any suggestions for a resonably priced extended stay hotel?4)Finally,what in your guys opinion,is the dangerous area of town,if any?Be honest,Im gonna find out when I get there so its just easier that I find out now.Thanks for your replies.Im pumped to becoming a Nevadan/Nevadian or however it should be pronounced.Peace.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 01:42 PM

40 posts, read 115,563 times
I find most folks here very friendly, until they get behind the wheel of their cars,as a native NYer I am familiar with traffic, etc.,but this town more than its fair share of rude and less than courteous drivers than I have witnessed in my 34 years of driving, it also amazes me to see people driving in rain and snow with so little regard for safety.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,460 times
Default Too late to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by night music View Post
Okay,here is the deal,I was originally going to relocate to Las Vegas(and some day hopefully I will) but your city and you folks in Reno have seduced me otherwise LOL.A few reasons are I have always lived in a big city and want a smaller city atmosphere,I enjoy dry weather,I love cold weather, I read that Reno is the friendliest town in Nevada,and since this is the first time living on my own I thought a place like Reno would be more of a rational choice than "Tubo Speed" Las Vegas which might be a little too fast and expensive for me.Anyway I have a few quick questions for you guys:1)Is the Greyhound Bus station located in a bad area of town?2)What is the main grocery store in Reno?3)Any suggestions for a resonably priced extended stay hotel?4)Finally,what in your guys opinion,is the dangerous area of town,if any?Be honest,Im gonna find out when I get there so its just easier that I find out now.Thanks for your replies.Im pumped to becoming a Nevadan/Nevadian or however it should be pronounced.Peace.........
I don't know if you have already moved out here are not, but I have lived in Reno for 13 years, so I can give you some info. I moved out here in my late teens, and now I am in my early 30's. I don't know what age group you are in, but I think that has alot to do with wetaher or not you like the place you live. I know I would not have wanted to grow up here! Anyway Reno live everyplace has the good the bad and the ugly. To answer some of your questions.
The Greyhound Bus Staion is downtown. And downtown is full of drunks and druggies, and gamblers who lost it all, so I would say it is in a bad part of town. I HATE downtown, I avoid it like the plauge!
Bad areas of town are downtown, NorthEast Reno, South East Reno, Older Sparks. The West side of town is the good area (South West or North West). The East side of town (North East or South East) there are too many gangs etc. Hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:06 PM

154 posts, read 902,330 times
I loathe Suburbanite NIMBYs who think Downtown is nothing but a cesspool. You really need to expand your horizons and realize downtown has a lot going for it (e.g. Performing arts, museums, the river, the ice rink, nice shops on CalAve, AAA baseball & West Street Market coming soon, NBA D-League, tons of festivals held in the warmer months such as Artown, HAN, Italian Festival, etc.). Sure, it could be better, but it's improved leaps and bounds in the last 5 years alone. I don't get why people are soooooo scared of downtown. I've lived in Reno my whole life and I've also traveled quite a bit. Downtown Reno isn't that noticeably scarier than any of the cities I have visited. There are panhandlers and druggies in every city. I'd love to see how you'd get by in a city like New York or San Francisco. Reno's homeless population is quite mellow and passive by comparison to some of the people I've encountered in San Fran & Seattle (they get right in your face and demand money).

Old 12-01-2008, 04:43 PM

171 posts, read 700,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
I loathe Suburbanite NIMBYs who think Downtown is nothing but a cesspool. You really need to expand your horizons and realize downtown has a lot going for it (e.g. Performing arts, museums, the river, the ice rink, nice shops on CalAve, AAA baseball & West Street Market coming soon, NBA D-League, tons of festivals held in the warmer months such as Artown, HAN, Italian Festival, etc.). Sure, it could be better, but it's improved leaps and bounds in the last 5 years alone. I don't get why people are soooooo scared of downtown. I've lived in Reno my whole life and I've also traveled quite a bit. Downtown Reno isn't that noticeably scarier than any of the cities I have visited. There are panhandlers and druggies in every city. I'd love to see how you'd get by in a city like New York or San Francisco. Reno's homeless population is quite mellow and passive by comparison to some of the people I've encountered in San Fran & Seattle (they get right in your face and demand money).
Agreed.

Reno is TAME.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,332,959 times
I also agree, downtown is really coming together.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 PM

173 posts, read 866,432 times
I get a kick out of downtown. Have a nice coffee, people watch, walk along the river, watch the kayakers, check out their ice skate rink.. it's been warm so haven't been able to do that yet, but soon! I often run the river path, and have never had a problem. I have met some cool people down there. Artown was so much fun, I spent a ton of time down there, enjoying beautiful peaceful days and fantastic music. The other night a guy had a telescope set up, and was encouraging folks to view Jupiter... how cool is that. That's just in that one spot down there. Reno has so much to offer. The whole area is rich in some seriously cool stuff.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:40 AM

19 posts, read 61,303 times
Default Downtown

Agree...downtown is a tame dump.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 18,941 times
Default thanks for all your help

appreciate all your info guys.as soon as I gather a little more cash im buying a one way bus ticket to Reno.this will be my first time living in a city that has less than 1,000,000 people!but i love cold weather,mountains,dry heat,and the Western US.im just a simple boy from the big city and soon ill be a simple boy from out of Reno

Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,986,865 times
Good luck to you, keep a positive view and all will work out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area