U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,427 times
Default Average Utility Expenses in Reno

Hi all,
I relocated to Reno about 4 months ago and have been living in a 3/2 house in the northwest part of town with my girlfriend and another couple. I recently became employed and have begun to search for a place for just my girlfriend and I. We settled on a 1500 sq ft, tri level 2/2.5 unit in the Rancho San Rafael Neighborhood on North Virginia St., just past Mcarran. The unit has primarily electric appliances, aside from the range.

I have been trying to find out if the average utility bill for this unit is or .
From my research, here is what I have found:
The actual unit's 6 month average (July-Dec) was $170
A similar unit with, I believe, 3 people, was about $156 this past month.
A 3 bedroom 3 bathroom tri level unit with 4 people was $280 for last month.

I have looked at houses and townhouses in other areas and most report an average around $100-$120, which makes this unit comparable if winter utilities are about $160. I plan on calling the power company tomorrow to see what they say.

In the meantime, could you all provide me with some examples of your average utilities for comparison? I would hate to move into a unit that has exorbitant utilities that would significantly lower my cost of living. There are plenty of other places in town that I could consider.

Thanks,
Michael
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,740,045 times
Wink Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtragash View Post
Hi all,
I relocated to Reno about 4 months ago and have been living in a 3/2 house in the northwest part of town with my girlfriend and another couple. I recently became employed and have begun to search for a place for just my girlfriend and I. We settled on a 1500 sq ft, tri level 2/2.5 unit in the Rancho San Rafael Neighborhood on North Virginia St., just past Mcarran. The unit has primarily electric appliances, aside from the range.

I have been trying to find out if the average utility bill for this unit is or .
From my research, here is what I have found:
The actual unit's 6 month average (July-Dec) was $170
A similar unit with, I believe, 3 people, was about $156 this past month.
A 3 bedroom 3 bathroom tri level unit with 4 people was $280 for last month.

I have looked at houses and townhouses in other areas and most report an average around $100-$120, which makes this unit comparable if winter utilities are about $160. I plan on calling the power company tomorrow to see what they say.

In the meantime, could you all provide me with some examples of your average utilities for comparison? I would hate to move into a unit that has exorbitant utilities that would significantly lower my cost of living. There are plenty of other places in town that I could consider.

Thanks,
Michael
Good Luck with your call to the power company, I've dealt with them recently and they are totally non-user friendly. Took me 4 months to finally get to somebody that cared, they were over charging me 1000 times more for the universal energy fee. After I paid a visit to the building and still had to get on a telephone to contact them and had an employee come down to get something out of the vending machine did I finally get it squared away. By the time I was done they owed me $575.00 of overcharges for a four month period. So good luck and be patient.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: