Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM

10 posts, read 49,233 times

Advertisements

Thinking about retiring in the Reno area. Just wondering why swimming pools aren't very common compared to Calif. It gets almost as hot in the summer. Maybe the season is slightly shorter in Reno but in the Sacramento area I bet there are probably 10 times the number of backyard pools. Also I love thunderstorms. Does Reno get very many during the summer? Even if it's not directly overhead (I.E. you see lightning over the Sierras or towards the east at night).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 90,466 times
We don't get very many thunderstorms here in Reno. This year it rained for the first few weeks of June, but that was extremely unusual. For the most part the summers here are hot and dry (it is a desert after all). We'll have the occasional summer thunderstorm that we all enjoy, but not as many as other areas.

I can't tell you why there aren't more pools - perhaps because most people around here prefer to just go up to Lake Tahoe when the weather is warm. It gets hot here in the summer, though. Today's high is about 100 degrees, and it will be all week. To cool off, people to go Tahoe, the Sparks Marina, Wild Island, or one of the other nearby lakes.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies16 View Post
We don't get very many thunderstorms here in Reno. This year it rained for the first few weeks of June, but that was extremely unusual. For the most part the summers here are hot and dry (it is a desert after all). We'll have the occasional summer thunderstorm that we all enjoy, but not as many as other areas.

I can't tell you why there aren't more pools - perhaps because most people around here prefer to just go up to Lake Tahoe when the weather is warm. It gets hot here in the summer, though. Today's high is about 100 degrees, and it will be all week. To cool off, people to go Tahoe, the Sparks Marina, Wild Island, or one of the other nearby lakes.
Thanks for the reply. I grew up in the hot So. Cal desert (Blythe). Summer thunderstorms were really fun as the streets would flood and we would cool off in the water.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 16,333 times
I just Moved to reno this past week and there has been a 5 0 clock thunderstorm everyday of the week since Tuesday.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 PM

22 posts, read 117,181 times
Yeah, the thunderstorms have been pretty cool. Although we on the west side only got dumped on Friday afternoon. The rest of the time it was light drizzles.

As for the pool issue, I imagine it has something to do with water being rather expensive out here. How many gallons does it take to fill up a pool? Then factor in evaporation causing you to constantly be topping it off, and I can see having a pool as being a rather pricey endeavour. And with the lakes and the river park nearby, why would someone bother unless they had money to burn.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks for thunderstorm report. We were actually there on Friday looking at houses in the Sommersett area and the dark clouds built up pretty fast.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 16,333 times
I didn't realize water was more expensive here in reno. Whats with those weird water valves some homes have, they look like pumps?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM

110 posts, read 374,839 times
Thumbs up Nice Afternoon Storm Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by J559to775 View Post
I just Moved to reno this past week and there has been a 5 0 clock thunderstorm everyday of the week since Tuesday.
When I was there in 2004 in the afternoon the sky turned a "moody blue" or brown/pewter color and you cold see the lightning up in the hills- with no or little accompanying rain. Nice to sit in our hotel after the day and watch before dinner.

Last edited by bethmarywhite; 08-12-2009 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Put original quote first :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area