Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 49,697 times

Advertisements

For those of you whose views are a little rough when it comes to knowing Reno, here's the first thing you should know. It's NOT SMALL ANYMORE, people need to get that through their heads, with a metro of 420K people all within a very close proximity, you could call Reno a pretty big city, it's not LA, Vegas or Sacramento even by any means, well, maybe close to Sacramento but just the city only, it's not Idaho Falls Idaho! Second, with all the growth in the past and upcoming growth pending the future, the city and area's amenities are expanding, we've got more shopping than ever before, like for example the Legends in Sparks, bringing in 48 new tenants to the area this summer, if you're a shopper, we have it all. If you're young single or not, this is a city for you. It's got a great quality of life, TONS of workplaces, specifically in South Meadows, a suburb of Reno. IGT is based here along with major outposts consisting of Microsoft and Amazon.Com. Gaming is here, Reno's got a great nightlife, the 60th busiest airport in the nation, tons of flights, want to hook up here? You can, there's been votes on the best places to meet people. The future bodes well for Reno again pending the economy, the city has plans that are grand, including a major skyline transformation that could include the project Tessera, located downtown bringing in Class A office space, a 202 room luxury non gaming hotel, shopping and dining as well. How about sports? Reno's got TWO semi pro teams, the NBA D-Leauge Bighorns and Triple AAA Pacific Coast Leauge Reno Aces, dining? Every major chain is located in Reno, and more are coming. Cheesecake Factory and Il Mulino New York and Ruth's Chris all have land picked out for Reno. So basically what I'm saying is Reno isin't Kansas anymore, this is blossoming into a major metropolitan area, EMBRACE it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM

154 posts, read 991,808 times
Not the most meaningful contribution, but.....

I love Cheesecake Factory. Do you know where they're planning to build? I assume they'll wait for the economy to pick back up before starting construction. I think they'll do really well here.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM

I'm not entirely sure, I just know they're coming. I would assume they'll built in West Reno, South Meaodows or Spanish Springs. I love them too

Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,488 times
Question Thank you

I have not even read all of your bolg, but it seems to me that you have lived there for some time.

We are a couple of seniors looking for a lower tax state than wa. state.

I lived in Nevada in the early 80"s and loved the sate. I don't know how much things have changed.

My husband has never been to Nevada except border land from clubs.

How much have things changed in Carson City and the surraounding areas. Would Carson City be a place that we should look at?

Donna L

Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattorchowski View Post
For those of you whose views are a little rough when it comes to knowing Reno, here's the first thing you should know. It's NOT SMALL ANYMORE, people need to get that through their heads, with a metro of 420K people all within a very close proximity, you could call Reno a pretty big city, it's not LA, Vegas or Sacramento even by any means, well, maybe close to Sacramento but just the city only, it's not Idaho Falls Idaho! Second, with all the growth in the past and upcoming growth pending the future, the city and area's amenities are expanding, we've got more shopping than ever before, like for example the Legends in Sparks, bringing in 48 new tenants to the area this summer, if you're a shopper, we have it all. If you're young single or not, this is a city for you. It's got a great quality of life, TONS of workplaces, specifically in South Meadows, a suburb of Reno. IGT is based here along with major outposts consisting of Microsoft and Amazon.Com. Gaming is here, Reno's got a great nightlife, the 60th busiest airport in the nation, tons of flights, want to hook up here? You can, there's been votes on the best places to meet people. The future bodes well for Reno again pending the economy, the city has plans that are grand, including a major skyline transformation that could include the project Tessera, located downtown bringing in Class A office space, a 202 room luxury non gaming hotel, shopping and dining as well. How about sports? Reno's got TWO semi pro teams, the NBA D-Leauge Bighorns and Triple AAA Pacific Coast Leauge Reno Aces, dining? Every major chain is located in Reno, and more are coming. Cheesecake Factory and Il Mulino New York and Ruth's Chris all have land picked out for Reno. So basically what I'm saying is Reno isin't Kansas anymore, this is blossoming into a major metropolitan area, EMBRACE it.
It depends on where you are coming from. I moved from Phoenix, Arizona to Reno a few years back. I found it to be very small, and much harder to find a job than Phoenix, more like downright impossible. I ended up leaving after only a month. I do think Reno is a beautiful city, and I found the people there to be quite pleasant, but it did not work out for me. However, I do think it would be a great place to retire, and I would consider living there again if I had a retirement income. Retirement is a long time away for me though.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
Reno is not close nor does it resemble sacramento by any means. Reno is more like stockton or fresno.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Reno is bigger than Boise ID

Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM

154 posts, read 991,808 times
We're barely bigger than Boise. Reno is still very much a secondary market and a small-medium size city. For me that's a good thing (I like big city amenities, but hate the traffic that comes w/ it). The biggest city I would consider living in is Portland.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:31 PM

True, but Reno will be a big city someday. Just look around

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM

I wouldn't call it small-medium, just medium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area