U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 AM

14,143 posts, read 11,579,370 times

Advertisements

I am a lifelong born and bred N Nevadan. In all my time here I've never seen domestic animals get fleas. However we do have them in profusion. I had this argument with my ex BIL with him claiming there are no fleas in NV. I told him OK. Gimme bout a half hour. I'm gonna go bust a jack rabbit, bag it up, bring it to your house and throw it on your bed. When you go to sleep that night then tell me we ain't got fleas.

The rabbits just crawl with them. Ticks to. But even our barn cats never got them, or the dogs. Kinda weird. The rabbits seem to be the only critters who get them. I've never seen them on the coyotes I've brought down either. And they live in the same digs as the rabbits and ...interact...quite closely with the latter. It's strange but that's the way it is. However we do have fleas here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,933 times
So I thought as well! No fleas in Reno.. Well there are Now! I took the specimens to a pest control company, they too thought Fleas. However later in the week I was informed the techs decided they were Tick?! Not even.. Ticks dont jump, total different body typenot to mention, dint ticks burrow in your skin? They daid they sent the specimen to the agricultural unit in Reno. Haven't heard anything back as of yet.. I thought they we're gone. No bites or trace of them in almost 2 weeks. Unfortunately I was awoken lastnight with the horrible itching and sure enough found 3 in my bed!!! Great,.. p.s. one of my cats keeps bringing mice in the house??🐀🐜😣😡

Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 4,933 times
Tnx NVplumber. We have a big field in our backyard "open " with lots of bunnys ect.. I know they are fleas.!! My cats roll im the dirt also like I said, the 1 brings them in the house a playd with them till we catch her and release them back to the outside?? I'll take the new fleas to a different bug control company. See what they come up with? Flipping cats!!!

Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM

14,143 posts, read 11,579,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkel View Post
Tnx NVplumber. We have a big field in our backyard "open " with lots of bunnys ect.. I know they are fleas.!! My cats roll im the dirt also like I said, the 1 brings them in the house a playd with them till we catch her and release them back to the outside?? I'll take the new fleas to a different bug control company. See what they come up with? Flipping cats!!!

I used to hunt a lot. Cottontail rabbits were a favored prey. BUT, I never hunted rabbit until there was good snow on the ground and it was really cold. That cut down on the number of fleas on the rabbits. Even so after bringing one down I didn't touch it for at least 20 minutes. As the body cools the fleas jump off. In warm weather the fur just crawls. You can see it move as the fleas evacuate.

I used to immediately take my bag and pack the critter under snow. Kill the fleas. It's the rabbits, especially the jacks, that have the parasites. Ticks and fleas. The jacks get the ticks on their ears. It's pretty nasty to see. Just covered. Like I said, I never had any problems with fleas or ticks on my animals. Even the barn cats stayed clear and they hunted the sagebrush all the time.

Now, above the timber line, we pick up ticks. Down in the flats in the sagebrush never but up in the trees and heavy brush in the mountains we do. Have to check our horses and herd dogs over good after chasing strays out of the elderberries in the high country. But only ticks. No fleas. The fleas seem to be an issue mainly with the rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area