U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,044 times

Advertisements

we are originally from southern cal, and moved here in louisville ky 17 months ago..now my husband was offered to move to reno nv, with same company, and we are so excited, since the rest of our famiy and friends are in l.a. and san fran. His office is located at 89511 zipcode.. He would want to live near his work, but if this is not a safe and good area, commute is not a problem, since we have a 5 yr old, 3, and 14 mos old, all girls..He's used to a 35 mile drive when we were in l.a.and when we moved here, he opted to drive the same distance, since his office is in an industrial location and not conducive for kids, so we ended up living in northeast wc is very nice, upscale (but still cheap compared to cali), and safe...
Is it safe to live at the 89511 zip code, we saw the Alexandria, and the the View which is reallly nice...any suggestions of nice and safe neighborhoods/ zip codes in reno...? thanks very much!!! We are sooo looking forward to moving there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM

369 posts, read 970,494 times
Reno Nevada ZIP Code Map - HipCodes.com

As you can see by this map, a lot of Reno's area codes are very large sections, and you can find shady places and nice places in the same area code, so it's more on actual streets or communities that I would be looking rather than area codes. For instance, I live in the 89506 area code... but I would stick to the "North Valleys" area and not "Stead"... I have lived in 89523 in the Northwest, beautiful, Loved it, close to everything... my sister lives in 89521, off south meadows (another real nice area). But there are gorgeous areas off Mr. Rose Hwy... hidden valley... all over Reno there are nice spots. I would just stay away from Downtown, normally in any city that is not the best places to try to look to live.
Are you planning a visit out here before moving?

Places here are still cheap compared to Cali as well, even with all the california transplants moving in (Im one of them actually...!) I love it here and hope you do too. I enjoy the proximity to Sacramento and San Francisco (2 hours and 3 hours respectively)...
good luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,331 times
I have no choice but to move to Reno this summer and was wondering what areas are to be stayed away from. Looks like my kids are going to Galena High and Pine Middle..are these good and safe schools? How about jobs? Are the streets roaming with cops? I currently live in Washington and feel totally safe and I'm glad to see cops in the area just 'patrolling' to make sure our streets are safe. Please advise.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,431 times
Default feel your pain

I'm moving in June with a 5th grader, and am scared about schools, and safety as well. If you find any info please let me know!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,835,642 times
Very safe.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM

265 posts, read 534,700 times
My wife and I are extremely disappointed with the schools here. We purposely moved into a good area (Caughlin Ranch) expecting good schools which we have found are very poor. No communication with parents (parent/teacher meetings) and our child cannot take books home so we have no way to help guide him with his homework. In addition, most of the communication we have are solicitations for fund rasing. It sucks! We came from central Florida which is not high on the list of good schools.. Well, Reno is the absolute worst we have seen compared to where we came from. We are looking into Home Schooling or the material to supplement our child's education. It's very sad here.

In addition, we find most of the people here are not nice, bordering on rude. Very aggressive drivers on the road so there's no feeling of relaxation when going out.

The only thing we do like about the area is getting out and going somewhere else (SF, SAC, anywhere else). Even Carson City is nicer to drive in than Reno.

We are thinking of moving back to Florida. We'd love to move to Socal but can't afford it at this time.

HTH,

Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM

15 posts, read 23,484 times
I, too, will be moving to Reno next year and am trying to find info about the northern areas as they seem to be more in my price range (150K is comfortable, 200K is stretching). We are retired. Could anyone critique the area between Panther Valley and Northeast Reno between N. Virginia St and MLK. I see a few nice homes in this area. What would be the pros and cons of that area. And what other advice for a retired couple with modest means? I am also looking at Cold Springs and Spanish Springs and everything inbetween except perhaps Sun Valley because of all the negative posts. The first area I mentioned seems very close to everything.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 PM

197 posts, read 446,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old4gold View Post
I, too, will be moving to Reno next year and am trying to find info about the northern areas as they seem to be more in my price range (150K is comfortable, 200K is stretching). We are retired. Could anyone critique the area between Panther Valley and Northeast Reno between N. Virginia St and MLK. I see a few nice homes in this area. What would be the pros and cons of that area. And what other advice for a retired couple with modest means? I am also looking at Cold Springs and Spanish Springs and everything inbetween except perhaps Sun Valley because of all the negative posts. The first area I mentioned seems very close to everything.
You will be more than able to find something in your price range and probably without stretching too much.

Keep in mind Northeast locations are about fifteen-twenty minutes from downtown Reno and are more rural in nature. There are great areas and I think once you get here and look around you will be able to more adequately choose the location that is perfect for you.

Spanish Springs is a completely different area and about fifteen-twenty minutes from downtown Reno....and is also more rural...but there are some shopping areas out there and a Costco Walmart about ten minutes from Spanish Springs homes.....

Sounds like you are doing good research, exciting times!!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 AM

83 posts, read 186,455 times
Stead is nice too and cheap

Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM

148 posts, read 467,642 times
Galena is a very nice school but Pine is in the middle of the "ghetto" of Reno with some of the lowest income families in the city. SERIOUSLY. You might want to move a little further south or join the PTA or something and try to get a new middle school build near Galena or put your middle school kids in private school until high school. Pine is GHETTO. Not like the Bronx or Compton, but still, pretty bad. You live in a very nice neighborhood, some of the richest folks in Reno live there, like the 90210 of Reno, but that's south of McCarran. Just north of McCarran is Neil Rd where some of the poorest people live and where Pine Middle School sits. You can also move to Spanish Springs for Yvonne Shaw MS north of Sparks or far NE Sparks for Mendive MS or far NW Reno for Billinghurst MS or Demonte Ranch in the south for Demonte Ranch Middle School. If you hate your children, Pine MS is just fine or if you want them to develop a sensitivity and empathy for ghetto children and children who can't speak English. I'm not being closed minded. I grew up ghetto and see no reason why others have to endure what I endured. I excelled none-the-less, but I also have violent tendencies and drunkeness so it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area