U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,505,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
ok, i'm sorry chichappens but you are really making yourself look ignorant. Deserts by definition are not humid at all. Humidity is moisture in the air, which creates green, lush environments. The exact opposite of a desert. And reno gets very little snow. There is a lot of snow nearby in the sierra's, but i believe that reno only gets 1-2 feet per year.
ONE TO TWO FEET OH SNOW IS A LOT OF SNOW

WHAT DO YOU CALL THIS SNOW AND LOADS OF IT http://renotahoe.about.com/b/2009/12...uries-reno.htm AND WHAT DO YOU CALL THIS HUMIDITY AND LOADS OF IT IN THE MORNING Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

also the summer of 2007 and 2008 were considered to be very humid...........i guess the weather center is lying again.

NEXT YOU WILL SAY THE ECONOMY IS GREAT AND THERE ARE LOADS OF JOBS..........AGAIN WHICH RENO ARE IN ? RENO OH, RENO PA OR RENO NV?

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM

433 posts, read 1,411,031 times
I would say go with Reno and UNR>UNLV, it's a fact.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM

199 posts, read 464,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
ONE TO TWO FEET OH SNOW IS A LOT OF SNOW

WHAT DO YOU CALL THIS SNOW AND LOADS OF IT Snow Storm Buries Reno AND WHAT DO YOU CALL THIS HUMIDITY AND LOADS OF IT IN THE MORNINGModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

also the summer of 2007 and 2008 were considered to be very humid...........i guess the weather center is lying again.

NEXT YOU WILL SAY THE ECONOMY IS GREAT AND THERE ARE LOADS OF JOBS..........AGAIN WHICH RENO ARE IN ? RENO OH, RENO PA OR RENO NV?
Not much snow compared to Upstate NY., where I live currently.
This month feels like a heatwave, temps at, or slightly above 32 F.
Per Climate Zone.com, February is Reno's most humid month, averaging
63%; nothing, want humid? Go to Florida.
I'd chose Reno over Vegas simply for the crime rate. Us mortals cannot
predict snow or humidity, just do a little research on the climate patterns.

Climate Information for Reno*-*Nevada*-*West*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

Las Vegas Drunk is correct on the crime; the FBI stats back this up also; Reno is safer. What is "safe" anymore? A June Cleaver type with the husband working while she is supposed to keep house all day? Gag me with a soup ladle.... Different people can have different ideas of what is safe. As I learned before moving here, a visit doesn't always give one a feeling for living in a city, but it really helps.

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,505,776 times
I'd say the crime rate Reno Vs. Las Vegas is SERIOUS issue....I am sure Vegas has a lot more crime because it is a bigger city and has more tourists and is known for its wild nite life....My fav in LV is The Hard Rock Hotel...Check in and only leave when its time to depart they have everything I need and no need to pound the pavement...lol for more entertainment

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,347,829 times
Crime rate is a dull issue.

All SW cities are similar.

Don't compare Reno to Las Vegas. Compare it to Henderson.

You may swiftly find out that Reno is simply smaller which helps...But Henderson is similar and gives nothing to Reno.

Note that the crime rate outside the central area is a factor of ten less than in it.

Don't live in the center city.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,672,246 times
I live in Reno but I wish I lived in Las Vegas. Is Las Vegas significantly sunnier than Reno, particularly in the winter? I've been to Vegas dozens of times but have never lived there continuously. This winter in Reno has been the gloomiest winter I have ever experienced my whole life. I was completely caught off guard. I'm from Denver and it seems like so far Denver has more pure sunshine in the winter, although Reno may be sunnier and drier in the summer.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 AM

29 posts, read 108,124 times
I wouldn't mind Reno, nor snow in winter. Kind of breaks up the monotony of the same weather constantly. I live in Nebraska and would love to live where I could still see snow, but not be buried by it!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 PM

369 posts, read 970,677 times
Oh VP Honey, I told you this winter has been bad and it is not usually NOT sunny in the winter here in Reno.. of all the ones I've experienced here this is the worst in terms of gloominess... but think about how bad the winters have been everywhere you know? remember the NE getting POUNDED with snow? remember all those torrid rains in Southern/Central CA? (lol, remember like it wasn't just a few weeks ago...) it's just been bad, dont judge it on the 1 winter you've spent here! However, living in Vegas is much different from visiting Vegas... and if you can stand the 3 horrible summer months, maybe you would be better off there, if you are going by weather alone?

Old 03-13-2010, 12:39 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,672,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
Oh VP Honey, I told you this winter has been bad and it is not usually NOT sunny in the winter here in Reno.. of all the ones I've experienced here this is the worst in terms of gloominess... but think about how bad the winters have been everywhere you know? remember the NE getting POUNDED with snow? remember all those torrid rains in Southern/Central CA? (lol, remember like it wasn't just a few weeks ago...) it's just been bad, dont judge it on the 1 winter you've spent here! However, living in Vegas is much different from visiting Vegas... and if you can stand the 3 horrible summer months, maybe you would be better off there, if you are going by weather alone?
Point taken... I believe you that the weather this year is an anomaly, and you are right, visiting Las Vegas (or anywhere) isn't the same as living there. Although when I go to Vegas I'm not really doing much stereotypical "tourist" stuff anyway.

For me personally, here's how I see the comparative advantages of each:

Las Vegas-- weather (for most of the year, minus the summer, that is), overall landscape/scenery/vegetation/built environment/look and feel, being a major airport hub with direct connections all over the country, being more centrally located to my favorite places I like to visit on vacation (the desert southwest/ Rocky Mountains/ southern California), more diversity, more population (for me this is a plus, I'm starting to realize I'm more of a "big city" type of person), more of a "world class," "exciting" feel, having some family there plus way more family & friends who would come visit me in Vegas versus Reno, better food, more cultural offerings, larger job market (in a normal economy, that is).

Reno-- better summer weather (even when it's still very hot, much easier to head to higher elevation to cool off), better skiing (my favorite sport-- so this is a huge advantage in Reno's favor), more high elevation alpine mountain environments to explore, proximity to some really neat places in northern California, beautiful semi-rural properties and neighborhoods instead of being 100% gridded out high density, less traffic congestion.

I do like Reno-- honestly-- but I don't "love" it. It just doesn't feel like "home" to me and unless if I end up meeting the love of my life here, probably never will. I came here for a job opportunity-- after months of being unemployed, I didn't want to spend any more time shopping around, and I felt Reno would be a good fit for me, even though not my ideal place. Half a year later, I still think I made the right decision. There's really only a small handful of cities that I can definitively say I like better than Reno. When I think of all of the crappy places I applied to jobs where I could have ended up, I am very lucky that I am living in Reno right now.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 AM

141 posts, read 589,597 times
Well yeah Reno's going to be cloudier in the winter than a place like Vegas since its basically on the edge of two climate zones whereas Vegas is a true desert, personally I had been liking some of the sunny days during the winter when I first moved up here and thought it would stay that way but it seems there has been a lot of gloom the last few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area