U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM

68 posts, read 114,073 times
Default Carson City LGBT community

My partner and I are considering moving to CC but we'd like to know a bit about what it's like. We are "out" as a couple, and respectful of people around us, and expect others to be respectful as well. We will own a small business in CC. I'd like to know if there is animosity toward gays, if there are areas to avoid, is there a gay community that socializes together, are there gay friendly businesses? We are coming for a visit very soon to check it out. Any info in this regard would be great.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 PM

186 posts, read 370,350 times
As far as I know there are no gay areas on Carson City or Reno. Nor are there any anti-gay areas. I really thing people in Nevada judge you by how you treat others. If you are honest and hard working, they will not care about the gay thing. If you are a crook and cheat they also will not care about the gay thing but just might attribute your dishonesty to being gay. You would hurt yourself and the entire gay community in general that way. (On the other hand, there are a few businesses in Carson City where I would not walk in and start speaking Spanish, expecting the owner to understand you. That just might bet you thrown out fast.)

Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 PM

228 posts, read 442,052 times
I've been in Carson City a few years and know very few openly gay people (as opposed to all my friends in the Bay Area). Country bars, biker bars, but I know of no gay bars. I tend to feel it's not that open of a scene as it could be, but there's hope for the future. I would be more concerned about starting a business in this horrible economy.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM

1,016 posts, read 376,258 times
I know of only one gay guy in Minden. He is VERY open and cool and never heard of him having a issue with anyone about it in Carson/Tahoe/Reno.

I think there is a gay bath house/bar/club in Reno. Some of the Gay community also go to the nudist area in lake Tahoe from what I hear there is a gay zone.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
As far as I know there are no gay areas on Carson City or Reno. Nor are there any anti-gay areas. I really thing people in Nevada judge you by how you treat others. If you are honest and hard working, they will not care about the gay thing. If you are a crook and cheat they also will not care about the gay thing but just might attribute your dishonesty to being gay. You would hurt yourself and the entire gay community in general that way. (On the other hand, there are a few businesses in Carson City where I would not walk in and start speaking Spanish, expecting the owner to understand you. That just might bet you thrown out fast.)

DAVIDDDDDDDDD....I have NEVER heard of anyone kicking a person out for speaking spanish in ANY OF THE CARSON CITY SHOPS...They may not understand spanish but, they will NOT KICK YOU OUT!.. There is a VERY large Hispanic mostly mexican community in Carson and I never heard of any of them having problems with store owners and never seen this in the news......BY now it would have made it in the news it thus was true.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM

What type of business are you planning to open? Paul Schat, Super Borritto, China Bistro just opened in the past few months and they are doing VERY well. Trader Joes Sales have gone up this year...there are some stores that are doing Very well....Walmart and Target are not. They are ordering too much seasonal stock and not able to sell it.. Easter Season for Target and Walmart in Carson City/Carson Valley was a VERY VERY BAD! They are still selling marked down baskets and candy from 2 weeks ago. Burlington Coat Factory that took over Myrvyns may close within the year do to low sales volumes...Not sure how the JC Penny Is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area