U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM

44 posts, read 98,450 times

Advertisements

Wanda, your list is similar to what we were looking for. Check out Summit Ridge website. We buit a Sierra. Talk to Judy or Melinda and say keith and Laura sent you. We love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM

56 posts, read 167,869 times
Thank you Keith and Laura.

On my way to check out the Summit Ridge website!

I should have picked "Perfectly Clueless" for a user name. It would have been a better fit!

Again....thank you

Wanda

Old 05-12-2012, 01:17 PM

11 posts, read 44,001 times
"stay at the Monte Bleu in South Lake for 40 bucks a night and take advantage of their indoor pool in the winter... etc."

IS that a special rate?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 PM

944 posts, read 1,445,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirekool View Post
"stay at the Monte Bleu in South Lake for 40 bucks a night and take advantage of their indoor pool in the winter... etc."

IS that a special rate?
I WISH the moontebleu had 40 buck rooms a nite I stay more often

Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,120 times
I like Reno too. I've research, visited, and stayed in Reno for over 8 years before making a decision. Some are saying it's hard to get a job, but try living in Medford, Oregon - where retail and telemarketing are most of the options, and where I struggled for those same 8 years. I Love Tahoe, and Incline Village. The Lake in the summer is Paradise. Virginia City fascinates me. The wide open spaces give me room to think. I go to shows, there's outdoor events each month, and I like the older neighborhoods. And the weather is the same but fairer than Medford, Oregon. Plus no state taxes. Also in Southern Oregon, it's either way too cold, or way hot. No in between. One month of Spring and Fall. Winter starts the 1st of November and doesn't end until it wants too. I miss the trees and green of Oregon, but with all that just "up the hill" I'm very happy.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM

5,376 posts, read 3,266,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJPPark View Post
First a little background. My wife and I have lived collectively all over the country: San Diego, Spokane, Monterey, Chicago, St. Louis, LA, Philly Area... and now Reno.

I feel obligated to post this here because of all the misunderstandings about Reno.

Here are some of my thoughts a year in...

Early on I realized there are two types of people in Reno... those that look at the buildings around the city and hate it... and those who look at snow capped Mount Rose every day and just marvel at being located in one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

In short... you better like something outdoorsy to enjoy Reno. We do. From Camping to Skiing to Kayaking to going to Farmers Markets... etc... If you like these things... truly like them... you'll love it here. That simple. My wife and I head up to Tahoe at least once a month... usually more... we have done day trips to Sacramento (2 hours flat, and a pretty drive)... we have visited the Bay Area/Monterey/etc.

Basically if you are willing to "explore" it's a fantastic place to live.

The people who are not going to like Reno are those who fall into a routine specifically in Reno and then complain about the lack of variety. You are missing the blessing of living here if you don't do an occasional day up at the lake, a drive out to sactown, watch an aces game in downtown Reno, hit the slopes on a powder day, stay at the Monte Bleu in South Lake for 40 bucks a night and take advantage of their indoor pool in the winter... etc.

I mean is it possible to like Reno still if you're not into those things? Sure.. but you'll probably have a city you fit into better.

A few myths about Reno....
-Snowfall... Reno is a desert folks. People who talk about the Snow flat out haven't lived here, or in a place that actually gets snow. Reno is essentially home to a crazy weather reality. It is not uncommon for their to be 6+ inches of snow pouring down in the Sierras - but not even a drop of rain hits the valley.
My sister from LA never believed me when I told her this... you know when she finally did... Driving up here to visit she had to put on chains over the 80... finally got into Reno... and boom... no weather... The Sierras protect the valley. The average winters in Spokane, St. Louis, Chicago, and Philly had by FAR more snow then you get here. Really there were only two storms this year that actually had notable snow down in the valley.... Which is crazy seeing the Sierras themselves are experiencing one of their best snow years in the last couple of decades.

-Heat of the summer - Yes it gets hot here... you know for how long? A couple of hours a day. So yes does August get hot? Sure... up to 90 is a regular occurance... but it isn't humid... and it's only hot when the Sun is at its apex... once the sun sets behind the Sierras... the temps quickly drop. They keep cool until well into midmorning the next day. Essentially I could wear a leather jacket most nights in the summer - no problem.

-The myth of distance from the outdoor recreation of Tahoe. I see people all the time talking about how they might work in Reno and commute from Tahoe... lots of people do that here. Go for it... However if you live in Northwest (Verdi/Mogul/Sommerset) or if you live by Mount Rose Highway (Galena, Double Diamond areas, or Pleseant Valley) - you can be 20-35 mins from Ski Resorts... and 30-45 mins from taking a dip in Lake Tahoe. It's not a long drive. If you're on the fence of where to live between Tahoe and Reno because of such a situation... save yourself from having to shovel snow... etc.. .and just live in Galena for example (30 mins from the Lake - 20ish mins to Mount Rose). Having grown up by the Ocean... sometimes not having something fantastic as that in your backyard makes you appreciate it more when there...

-The concern of living in a Gambling city... You know when I remember I live in Nevada "The gaming state"... when I visit Safeway and see slot machines... I usually shop at Trader Joes or Costco for food... so literally its when I stop by Safeway I say to myself "Oh yeah I do live in Nevada". The Reno downtown I only see from the freeway... It's just buildings like everywhere else... but they have more lights. Honestly... I haven't met people who are local and avid gamblers. There is no dominating gambling culture here in terms of day to day life.

-Traffic... this town seems to think it has it... mainly those who have always lived in Reno... It doesn't... In terms of traffic... this town has very little of it... by far the least of any city I've ever lived in.

-----

one thing that isn't a myth about reno.

As a food town it's at best average. This isn't a Morton's, Lawry's, Ruth Chris town...

It's a Claim Jumper and Outback kind of town.

You're not going to find a Cheesecake Factory... etc... Basically every midlevel chain Resteraunt is here... none of the higher tiers are available... and for better then that you will have to drive up to Tahoe or venture into a hotel.

I would rate it well below cities like Chicago LA and San Diego as food towns... above Spokane... and below St. Louis and Monterey. This list might help some of you.

Of course every city has some local and hidden gems... but you'll have to seek them out. Reno doesn't have them on every corner like some cities.

----

quickly as a concert area... it's very good... even if they don't visit Reno... chances are the act or band you want to see will visit Sactown or South Lake Tahoe.

Also Reno has 3 malls: The high end one, the indoor one loaded with teenagers, and the outlet/deal mall... You'll quickly figure out which is which.

---

Quick summary. My wife and I love the outdoor lifestyle here. We both have decided it's the best place we've ever lived and want to settle down here. We just put in an offer on a house (in Northwest) after giving it a year trial - and couldn't be more excited.

I hope this helps some people,
Kevin

If you have any specific questions... feel free... I'll subscribe to the threads replies.
Thank you.

I live in the Reno/Sparks area as well. People tend to bash this town, but most likely they live in northern Sparks and Spanish Springs. Spanish Springs is nice but it just has houses and apartments with strip malls. Would never dream of living there. If I lived in Reno, it would be a different story.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Thank you.

I live in the Reno/Sparks area as well. People tend to bash this town, but most likely they live in northern Sparks and Spanish Springs. Spanish Springs is nice but it just has houses and apartments with strip malls. Would never dream of living there. If I lived in Reno, it would be a different story.

Great post and yeah we have a few on here who do nothing but bash Reno and N. NV and one of those posters does not even live here. Go figure....lol

Glad you are enjoying it.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM

25 posts, read 44,035 times
Default Great info!

First of all, thank you for the wonderful info about the facts and myths of Reno.
My family and I want to move to Reno in the summer of 2013 so we are able to get settled before our son starts kindergarten. My main concern is us being able to find jobs.
We are currently living in the south bay area of CA and we don't like it. It is too expensive and we are part Irish (meaning we burn easily) so we really don't like to go to the beach. We would all much rather live close to the snow but also, not too far away from the grandparents.
My mom moved all the way from S.W. PA to San Jose CA before I was born, so I didn't get to spend much time with my grandparents and I don't want that to happen with my children.
Anyway, Reno seems like a great fit for what we want and can comfortably afford.
If you have any tips for moving I would love to hear them!
We have some things worked out but I'm still not sure about what all needs to be done.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadFreddie View Post
First of all, thank you for the wonderful info about the facts and myths of Reno.
My family and I want to move to Reno in the summer of 2013 so we are able to get settled before our son starts kindergarten. My main concern is us being able to find jobs.
We are currently living in the south bay area of CA and we don't like it. It is too expensive and we are part Irish (meaning we burn easily) so we really don't like to go to the beach. We would all much rather live close to the snow but also, not too far away from the grandparents.
My mom moved all the way from S.W. PA to San Jose CA before I was born, so I didn't get to spend much time with my grandparents and I don't want that to happen with my children.
Anyway, Reno seems like a great fit for what we want and can comfortably afford.
If you have any tips for moving I would love to hear them!
We have some things worked out but I'm still not sure about what all needs to be done.

your going to burn and roast here .... fact we have had some very HOT HOT high 90 days already and I think a 100 day or day in May June. We call August, HOT AUGUST NIGHTS for a reason. If you don't have a job set up. I hate to break it to you but your not going to find it easy to find one unless your company is relocating you, or you have a unique skill that is in demand

Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
your going to burn and roast here .... fact we have had some very HOT HOT high 90 days already and I think a 100 day or day in May June. We call August, HOT AUGUST NIGHTS for a reason. If you don't have a job set up. I hate to break it to you but your not going to find it easy to find one unless your company is relocating you, or you have a unique skill that is in demand
I agree, in fact the elevation actually makes the sun more dangerous. However, the summers are short and it gets cold fast.
Also agree on the job outlook. Reno is dismal in the job dept. Housing is really cheap but there is very little work and I keep having friends who are being layed off etc. The area continues to slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area