Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,892 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have 3 children. They are advanced academically and we are looking for the right school. Does any one have any feed back as to the more friendly and more challenging elementary and christian high schools availabe in the area?
We will be moving into the area and searching out properties in Reno this week. We are hoping to live close to the schools they would be attending.

Thanks,

Trying to find the right schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:52 PM

36 posts, read 102,386 times
We are relocating there this summer and I have been doing a fair amount of research into the schools. (We also have academically advanced students.) The three that looked best to me (middle/high level) were Coral, Reno High, and Davidson. I keep hearing that "the best" high schools (charters aside) are Reno, Galena, McQueen, and Bishop Minogue. (Of these, only Bishop Minogue is specifically Christian.) The IB program at Wooster is also frequently mentioned as worth looking into, but my soon-to-be high schooler has no interrest in IB, so we didn't check it out. I've also heard some good things about Brookfield School, which is private and goes through 8th grade.

Good luck in your research!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 PM

412 posts, read 963,613 times
Reno High is the best high school. 126 years and counting. Also the best Jr ROTC unit, one of the oldest in the nation, 92 years and counting. ask for Mr. Potter for math classes. He was an engineer in the private sector and can teach calculus to a rock.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 AM

36 posts, read 102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
Reno High is the best high school. 126 years and counting. Also the best Jr ROTC unit, one of the oldest in the nation, 92 years and counting. ask for Mr. Potter for math classes. He was an engineer in the private sector and can teach calculus to a rock.
When we were there to visit, the JROTC teacher told me he felt it was the best high school in the state . Here's hoping!

Thanks for the teacher rec. My DS is pretty whizzy in that area, although it sounds like I could use a class or two with Mr. Potter. (In calculus, I might be asking the rock to share his notes. )

Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,499,508 times
Quote:
've also heard some good things about Brookfield School, which is private and goes through 8th grade.
You want to keep in mind that private schools typically pay about half what private schools do, and a teacher does not need a credential.

You have to ask yourself who would work at a job that pays half what the same job down the street pays.

And, does not require the employee to know what they are doing.

religious based schools will often get teachers that are ideologically motivated, but secular school often get teachers that can't get a job in the public school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area