U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 PM

17 posts, read 107,014 times

Advertisements

Olecapt has no idea what he is talking about. I don't care what the numbers say. I've lived in South Tahoe, Gardnerville/Minden, and Reno. They are all MUCH/HUGE better then Las Vegas. Las Vegas is HORRIBLE in my opinion. Why don't you just throw your kids on the streets and say here you go. I am back in Ohio where I was born and raised, but I hope to relocate back to Gardnerville/Minden in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 10:29 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,817,160 times
Ole Capt, comparing as you did, Nevada and Palo Alto is pretty silly. My children would be great students in whatever city they lived in, because of my involvement. That can be extrapolated out for most families. I teach in one of the poorest schools in Nevada. Our students do nearly as well as the students at the richest school in Reno. They do that because we expect that from them.

Cream rises to the top.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:05 PM

1,755 posts, read 4,896,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey2227 View Post
Olecapt has no idea what he is talking about. I don't care what the numbers say. I've lived in South Tahoe, Gardnerville/Minden, and Reno. They are all MUCH/HUGE better then Las Vegas. Las Vegas is HORRIBLE in my opinion. Why don't you just throw your kids on the streets and say here you go. I am back in Ohio where I was born and raised, but I hope to relocate back to Gardnerville/Minden in the near future.
You got it right, Bailey.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:58 AM

15,756 posts, read 33,364,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey2227 View Post
Olecapt said...

"There is also Gardnerville and Minden which are very nice. Reasonably expinsive housing. A little cooler than Reno and in the green Carson Valley. The schools are comparable to Reno and Las Vegas. "

Hmmm...so you don't agree that Gardnerville and Minden are very nice?

If you can pay for a house there though you can afford a nice suburban part of Las Vegas...which is also very nice. Douglas High School is roughly comparable to the better standard high schools in Las Vegas. It is not as good as say ATech.

I certainly like Gardnerville Minden and that whole valley. I would likely go there if I had need to live in northern Nevada.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Ole Capt, comparing as you did, Nevada and Palo Alto is pretty silly. My children would be great students in whatever city they lived in, because of my involvement. That can be extrapolated out for most families. I teach in one of the poorest schools in Nevada. Our students do nearly as well as the students at the richest school in Reno. They do that because we expect that from them.

Cream rises to the top.
Exceptional parents get exceptional results. In general you don't even need a school involved.

Palo Alto merely demonstrates that...given a small city of the top demographic... the children achieve great things. How can a city of under a 100,000 people outscore a state well past two million? Got to have something to do with the parents and children involved I would think.

One can also get off into the criteria for a great teacher. Is it to achieve outstanding results with outstanding students? or to achieve a high outcome with poor students? I know which one I think the more difficult.

I would think that Reno High School would be in the same range as the better regular high schools in Las Vegas. Douglas would be similar. Good high schools but not out of keeping with the standard.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,835,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcckj View Post
My family has lived in the las vegas area for the last 11 years. My kids are ages 6 and 3 and the schools around here our not very good. Each year,of course,the traffic and crime get worse... I am just wondering if things are better in reno or just the same... Anyone that can advise thank you
I've lived in both Reno and Las Vegas. I have no way to compare the schools in Reno with the schools in Las Vegas, but from what I have seen, I'd hate to send a kid to any public school in any city in the country. In fact I'm sorry I sent my son to public school. My daughter is older so she did all right, but by the time he got there the schools were really working overtime to ruin our kids. However, when I lived in Reno it seemed more middle class and parents seemed to be more involved with their kids. I agree with olecapt that the other kids play a more significant role in our kids lives than we'd like to admit. They seem to have more of an influence than the parents do. They feed off each others paranoia about adults. And if you listen to kids talking to each other they are paranoid if only because they don't really know what life is about yet. Anyway, if you like Nevada but don't like Las Vegas, Reno is a very good place to live and you still have "Nevada style" although on a much smaller scale. I lived in Reno in the late 70's and it hasn't really grown all that much. In fact North Las Vegas and Henderson passed Reno/Sparks in population a long time ago. But it is a comfortable sized town with all the amenities of a larger city while it still maintains a small town feel. Very nice weather too, and if you are in to the great outdoors it's paradise. And it has always had the lowest unemployment rate in the state. Good luck finding a place to live though. Housing has always been tight.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 22,082 times
Default get out

I'd suggest moving out of the state. Go to northern arizona, or california. those would be my two suggestions if you wanna stay close to nevada

Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 PM

52 posts, read 198,830 times
Default Reno is 100% Better than Las Vegas

Reno is better in many ways and I know both well. My neice and nephew were raised in Vegas and spent most of there time living with an Aunt to get out of there (schools and crime were bad in the 80's too).
Here is why Reno is Better:

Big but small (biggest little city in the world) easy to get around, homey
Weather is nicer (cooler in summer)
Near Lake Tahoe (sports, beaches, fun)
Schools are much better (careful about the neighborhood you choose)
Good Jobs
Friendly People (better than Vegas)
Things for kids to do (sports, water park, movies, ice skating etc)
Crime is lower (keep the better neighborhoods)
Real Estate is slighly higher but you can still find some that compare
Lots of shopping
So Easy to get around, nicer drivers, anywhere in 15 mins.
Slower Pace of Life
You can have animals (horses, dogs, goats, in many areas)
Great youth clubs here.

Let me know if I can give you info on the best neighborhoods. My hubby is a Broker here.
Sharon

Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Where do you folk get it from?

Reno/Sparks is a nice place. It is very different from Las Vegas. It is not nicer or better in any detectible way.

Crime is in fact higher in Reno than in Vegas. It is virtually identical with Metro and greater than the combination of Metro, Henderson and NLV. It is alomost 60% greater than that of Henderson, which is a larger city.

Schools in Reno and Las Vegas run the gamut from bad to reasonably good. Reno High School for instance is virtually identical to any of the 6 or 8 top regular high schools. It is not nearly as good as the magnets such as ATech.

Reno housing prices have fallen from vastly greater than Las Vegas to only a little greater.

Reno has nicer summers and much worse winters. Dealers choice.

You are of course welcome to your subjective advantages. We would likely claim the same ones for Las Vegas.

I actually find it difficult to believe that Reno and Las Vegas would appeal to the same demographic...I would suggest they are sufficiently different that it is unlikely any one person would be torn between them. Reno is small, high and has winter. It is very outdoor oriented and much greener than Las Vegas.

Vegas is a large city. It is hot and has no significant winter. It is located in the middle of miles of stark desert with surrounding peaks. It is much more oriented to the urban.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 26,620 times
Default Absolutely!

I live in Northern Nevada and it has less crime, beautiful scenery, and nicer people! a greatplace to live andraise kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area