Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times

Advertisements

I have posted on here earlier about this ongoing melodrama. I am in the process of paying off a judgement on my credit, and then will be able to move. Well today I receive a letter and statement from the rental office here stating that I owe $241 on a deposit installment that was set up by the prior manager. I had most of the deposit paid, which was $1000, but there was about $600 left, so I made payments and then came all the problems with maintenance etc, so the former manager told me that I did not have to pay the balance. I stopped paying it. I payed about $350 of it and have receipts. The problem is that there is not record of the other manager stating this in writing. Now the new manager wants the balance by this Friday or they will take legal action the statement says! I am/have still dealing with various maintenance problems like the inoperable oven, which they told code enforcement they fixed three weeks ago I discovered. This is not true. I am wondering if he can sue me for this balance and if i should just pay it, even though I have all these various maintenance issues galore. I keep my apartment in good condition and am on section 8. I have notified everyone and their mother including the City Council and HUD, but somehow nothing is being done. The CE here is known to be a bit corrupt. I am stressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,917 times
I would work something out with the new owners and NOT let them take me to court.
I believe if living on section 8 and you have a judgement against you, they can remove you?
Even, I believe, paying a small amount can keep you out of court as long as you stay current.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
If it is NOT in writing, it does not matter. You will have to go with what is in writing as far as what is owed. The verbal instructions from the former manager does not apply. If it is not in writing, it did not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting