Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you allow the installation of an antenna on your property's roof?
No, absolutely not, for aesthetic reasons 2 10.00%
No, absolutely not, but for other reasons 10 50.00%
Yes, as long as it was small (under 40 inches) 2 10.00%
Yes, as long as it is under medium sized (under 100 inches) 1 5.00%
Yes, as long as it is not long (under 200 inches) 0 0%
Yes, whatever my properties' roof will accomodate, I'm in! 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The FTC rules are pretty clear about a renter's rights where installation of satellite dishes and antennae are concerned and cover all contingencies. So, yes, JS1's sweeping generalization does indeed give entirely the wrong impression of those rules and does seem to wrongly imply that a LL has no say at all on the subject.

Satellite dishes and antennae are getting smaller and smaller and many can now be easily installed on part of the leased property such as a balcony and with no drilled holes on the common structure necessary. The technology is changing all the time.
Give me a break, the question was a sweeping generalization, and I stand by my sweeping generalization of a response. The question was so generic, it didn't even say if this was an apartment or a house, where it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
I've had tenants install them on roofs - sometimes they just drill a hole directly into the roof for the cable! The results are leaks and water damage. Then the tenant complains and brings up 'mold'!

Last edited by Lakewooder; 06-23-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
We got a satellite dish (small one) but asked the LL's permission and he said fine, no problem as long as it's "discreet" - ie. not perched out the front of the building. He was fine with it being on the roof at the back of the duplex and the company used the existing cable outlets to feed their cables through.

If I was a LL I'd be the same way, but I don't think I'd go along with a ham radio antenna on the roof.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 974 times
I'm a renter ham and I was originally told by the (then - 4 years ago) Building Manager that I could have my antennas, PROVIDED they weren't "permanently attached to the building". She gave me VERBAL permission. Now, 4 years later, the landlord's BoD is saying she wasn't supposed to do that, that my lease specifically says that I needed to obtain WRITTEN permission from the BoD to put up any antennas at all, permanently attached or not. I was able to explain to them that even though most of the time, this is a hobby, there is also the potential benefit of having communications during an emergency situation or other disaster. Being able to practice the craft as a hobby can then help me to better help if a disaster happens.

I can (kind of) agree with jambo101 in that it's their building, so they set the rules. Fortunately for me, they're letting me keep the antennas (a vertical for VHF/UHF and two dipoles for HF, vertical on one side of the building, on a mast [I live on the 2nd floor] securely clamped to the corner post of my balcony railing and the HF dipoles are on a separate mast on the opposite side of the building) provided none of the other tenants complain about TVI or RFI (most of them have cable and flat screen TVs).

I live in a 14 unit complex built specifically for (formerly) homeless Veterans; 10 Studio units in one building and 4 one bedroom units in my building. The local Men's Homeless Shelter (next-door to our complex) is our landlord, so we have to comply with (nearly) all of the same rules that the homeless residents there do (specifically, no drugs/alcohol).

Last edited by W1DGL; 10-02-2018 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Better visibility

Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 974 times
Question Interference with other devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Unfortunately, ham radios bleed through TV's & Stereos.
Actually, that's the TV or Stereo's fault, not the ham radio's.
If you read the Part 15 sticker on it, it says that the unit will not cause harmful interference, but will accept interference.
Most (but not all) hams will try to work with the person getting the interference (it's also part of the FCC regulations regarding ham radio) to try to either minimize or eliminate the problem.

Last edited by W1DGL; 10-02-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 03:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1DGL View Post
...my lease specifically says that I needed to obtain WRITTEN permission from the BoD
to put up any antennas at all, permanently attached or not.
...they're letting me keep the antennas securely clamped to the corner post
Good for you.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:55 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
My tenants had better not attach antennas to my roof and damage the integrity of the roof. Antennas can be attached to the facia, the fence, or to a pole or post.

There is no reason to put holes in my roof and to cause leaks, except that the installers are too lazy to do the job correctly.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
As a Renter ...since you asked about Renters. I have No Say my LL owns the building they can put on it what they want .... Even a Cell Phone Tower! Yes they did!!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:01 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,824 times
land lord can not say no but his rules on how and the area they can be put can make it impossible.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:03 AM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times
It seems there would be a solution to mount an antenna to something on the roof that wouldn't risk causing a leak. Easier than it sounds but this is a very common thing to have, especially for Asians and Latinos, TV Sport junkies etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting