Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you allow the installation of an antenna on your property's roof?
No, absolutely not, for aesthetic reasons 2 10.00%
No, absolutely not, but for other reasons 10 50.00%
Yes, as long as it was small (under 40 inches) 2 10.00%
Yes, as long as it is under medium sized (under 100 inches) 1 5.00%
Yes, as long as it is not long (under 200 inches) 0 0%
Yes, whatever my properties' roof will accomodate, I'm in! 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

Would you? I'm trying to see how open people are to ham radio and other antennas on their rental properties' roofs.

Assume that it is properly installed by a professional or with your oversight, and that it does not pose any risk to the tenants' health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
It's not relevant what the landlord thinks. You can have an antennae pursuant to FTC regulations.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'm living in a 1200 unit rental Apartment complex and putting up antennas or satellite dishes is definitely verboten,its written down in the lease agreement.
Although i'm not too happy about being denied satellite tv option i do understand that its his (Landlords)buildings and he sets the rules,
one of the cons of apartment renting i guess.
If the poll is aimed at the landlord i'd probably say you could put up your antenna but no drilling into external walls.
As a renter i dont have any say in whether antennas go up or not..

Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
It's not relevant what the landlord thinks. You can have an antennae pursuant to FTC regulations.
Really? Would that not be an alteration to the property?

If you substitute renter for landlord, then I agree with your statement

Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Really? Would that not be an alteration to the property?

If you substitute renter for landlord, then I agree with your statement
The FTC rules are pretty clear about a renter's rights where installation of satellite dishes and antennae are concerned and cover all contingencies. So, yes, JS1's sweeping generalization does indeed give entirely the wrong impression of those rules and does seem to wrongly imply that a LL has no say at all on the subject.

Satellite dishes and antennae are getting smaller and smaller and many can now be easily installed on part of the leased property such as a balcony and with no drilled holes on the common structure necessary. The technology is changing all the time.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Unfortunately, ham radios bleed through TV's & Stereos.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
This question is sort of weird. Was the title a typo and it was supposed to be asking how landlords felt about installing attennas on their property? As a renter I don't care if an antenna is installed on the roof, and even I did, I doubt I have any legal standing to prevent it.

My understanding of the FCC policy on satellite dishes in rentals is that it must be allowed unless installation would damage the property or was a safety concern. In my complexes the leases have always addressed this, saying that you may have a small dish so long as it is in your own unit (such as on your balcony) but not in the common areas (not protuding past the footprint of the balcony or up on the roof, etc.) and that it must be free-standing and self-supported, not attached to the building by mechanical fasteners like screws or bolts that leave holes in the exterior. You take it with you when you move. This means if your unit faces the right direction to pick up satellite feeds, you may have a satellite dish on a stand, but you may not have an installer mount it to the building the way they do for permanent installs. If your unit does not face the right direction, or that part of the sky is blocked from your angle, you are out of luck.

Last edited by tilli; 06-23-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: added thought

Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
The FCC overrides any landlord or HOA rules, and basically says that you have the right to have a small antenna (like a small satellite dish, it specifies the size and I think the type too) anywhere on the property that you have exclusive use of.

So if you live in an apartment or condo, you don't have exclusive use of the yard or the roof, and can't put one there without permission from the owner. You can put one on your balcony. If you are in a duplex, townhouse, or single family and have exclusive use of the dwelling and yard, you can put one anywhere. The owner/HOA can ask that it be in certain places (such as "screened from view from the road", or "on the rear side of the roof") but if service is only available by having the dish in the middle of the front lawn, and you have exclusive use of the front lawn, you have the right to put the dish there.

Last edited by Lacerta; 06-23-2010 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: FCC, not FTC, oops

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
I thought the FCC said the rules apply to antennas for receiving video, cellular type communications, and information services but does not apply to communications by ham or cb radio? The LL can't refuse satellite or tv antenna outright but they can refuse if it damages the property, cause an expense the tenant refuses to pay, or can cause problems to another tenant. They can also limit where it can be installed so long as it won't cause problems with reception.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Here is the link FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting