U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,044 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

As a landlord myself, I am pleased to see some residents taking responsibility for the condition of their carpet and flooring and understanding that they can't trash something and expect the LL to take care of it. I often see this and I am amazed at how people leave their homes and how they don't think they have to keep their carpets cleaned and maintain them while they are livingt there. While we have some responsibility residents, we also have those those that paint their walls blue, red and orange and have even glued magazines all over the walls. There are roaches every where, because they never clean their dishes and they live like pigs.... These people will argue their deposits, but thank goodness we photograph this stuff and you are right, writing on the walls is not normal wear and tear! Neither is infestation of coch roaches because you never clean your dishes and have food crumbs scattered everywhere, piles of clothing and your living conditions are unsanitary because you dont clean up after yourself. People think because they rent something, they dont have to take care of it! amazing..... there are those of you who have ethics and are great renters and I thank you for being responsible and caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 AM
 
Location: The not so Wild West
947 posts, read 1,650,791 times
Reputation: 1348
So let me see if I understand the OP. You let your kids write on the walls? And you have trashed the carpet? Should I assume by not cleaning it in the past 5 years. You know with kids you need to clean carpet every few months. Did you do that? When your kids write on the walls you need to clean it off.

I would ask your landlord if YOU could repaint the walls or pay to have it done by the LL's crew. And I would offer to split the cost of new carpet or (smarter I think) laminate flooring if you plan to stay there for awhile.

In most places there are no laws requiring a LL to repaint or carpet other than possibly at lease end. Usually if you want to remain in a place and you want it nicer it's on your dime. Otherwise the LL will just wait till you move, renovate and jack the rent up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,192 posts, read 3,429,173 times
Reputation: 2293
I agree with everyone here -- you can paint the walls yourself with your LL's permission, or pay to have it done, but the LL should not have to come in and paint because your kids wrote on the walls. I have a 4 year old and there was a dinosaur mural on the back of his door done in sharpie pen. I used Magic Eraser, plus we got permission to paint that whole room anyway before he did that because it was so gross. I'm glad I hadn't gotten to the door before he did that.

Same with the carpet -- what condition was it when you moved in? Have you had it professionally cleaned since you moved in? What do you mean by "trashed"? If it is due to fruit punch and dirty shoes, etc, the LL does not need to replace it IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,594 times
Reputation: 10
There is a fine line between normal wear and tear and damage. However, a carpet (if not replaced regularly) can be harmful to a person's health. Allergens such as dust, pet dander and certain mold get trapped in both the carpet and the lining.
I have been living in my apt. for over 7 years and my LL has never changed the carpet. I have not only repainted the walls but I even offered to replace the heating/ cooling unit in return for cheaper rent for the following years that I have lived here.
I feel that if a tenant is loyal, the LL should return the favor. After all, do tenants ever recieve all of their deposit when they leave anyway? LL are always looking for ways to weasil their way out of their obligations, and some should never own property in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 AM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,322 posts, read 3,250,985 times
Reputation: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannpancheri View Post
Neither is infestation of coch roaches because you never clean your dishes and have food crumbs scattered everywhere, piles of clothing and your living conditions are unsanitary because you dont clean up after yourself.
Not everyone that has ever had cockroaches is their fault. I got them before when the neighbour moved out. Their place was INFESTED with bugs, and the bugs moved to my place after they were evicted. It was NASTY!

So keep in mind, not all tenants are nasty if they end up getting bugs in their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent660 View Post
After all, do tenants ever recieve all of their deposit when they leave anyway?
I have on all but one property, and I ended up having to sue the LL for that mess and ended up getting the deposit plus 3 months of rent awarded to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM
 
4,730 posts, read 6,143,345 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent660 View Post
There is a fine line between normal wear and tear and damage. However, a carpet (if not replaced regularly) can be harmful to a person's health. Allergens such as dust, pet dander and certain mold get trapped in both the carpet and the lining.
I have been living in my apt. for over 7 years and my LL has never changed the carpet. I have not only repainted the walls but I even offered to replace the heating/ cooling unit in return for cheaper rent for the following years that I have lived here.
I feel that if a tenant is loyal, the LL should return the favor. After all, do tenants ever recieve all of their deposit when they leave anyway? LL are always looking for ways to weasil their way out of their obligations, and some should never own property in the first place.

wrong. A carpet not properly maintained can be harmful to a person's health.


To the OP::

It is up to the tenant to vacuum their carpet on a regular basis and it's also up the tenant to make sure their kids dont' trash the carpet. Some landlords will give a free carpet cleaning upon lease renewal, if your's doesn't, then it's up to YOU to have it cleaned at least once a yr..more if you're lazy and can't be bothered to watch your kids.

As for painting the walls that your children colored on....you're on your own. Wash the walls first and then talk to the landlord about what kind of paint he wants YOU to buy so YOU can paint the walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
14,448 posts, read 20,882,661 times
Reputation: 6448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent660 View Post
There is a fine line between normal wear and tear and damage. However, a carpet (if not replaced regularly) can be harmful to a person's health. Allergens such as dust, pet dander and certain mold get trapped in both the carpet and the lining.
I have been living in my apt. for over 7 years and my LL has never changed the carpet. I have not only repainted the walls but I even offered to replace the heating/ cooling unit in return for cheaper rent for the following years that I have lived here.
I feel that if a tenant is loyal, the LL should return the favor. After all, do tenants ever recieve all of their deposit when they leave anyway? LL are always looking for ways to weasil their way out of their obligations, and some should never own property in the first place.
If you take care of things, carpet should last for 8-10 years and paint should last for 15 years with an occasional touch up for scratches. See this website How Long Do Things Last? What's The Life Expectancy Of Home Components?

Funny how many tenants are always looking for ways to weasel out of paying for the damage they do to a property and expect all of their security deposit back even though they took lousy care of the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 AM
 
4,730 posts, read 6,143,345 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If you take care of things, carpet should last for 8-10 years and paint should last for 15 years with an occasional touch up for scratches. See this website How Long Do Things Last? What's The Life Expectancy Of Home Components?

Funny how many tenants are always looking for ways to weasel out of paying for the damage they do to a property and expect all of their security deposit back even though they took lousy care of the place.

good quality paint should last that long, cheap contractor grade on the other hand won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Boise, ID
5,511 posts, read 10,727,891 times
Reputation: 4897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent660 View Post
There is a fine line between normal wear and tear and damage. However, a carpet (if not replaced regularly) can be harmful to a person's health. Allergens such as dust, pet dander and certain mold get trapped in both the carpet and the lining.
I have been living in my apt. for over 7 years and my LL has never changed the carpet. I have not only repainted the walls but I even offered to replace the heating/ cooling unit in return for cheaper rent for the following years that I have lived here.
I feel that if a tenant is loyal, the LL should return the favor. After all, do tenants ever recieve all of their deposit when they leave anyway? LL are always looking for ways to weasil their way out of their obligations, and some should never own property in the first place.

I would say somewhere around 75% of our tenants get all of their deposit back, or all less a carpet cleaning expense, if they don't opt to have our person do that instead of having it done themselves.

Probably 20% get some back.

The last 5% get a bill because they did damage in excess of their deposit. We had a bad run this month, and 4 of the 5 tenants we had move out got a bill (the 5th one got every penny back), ranging from $80 to $2000 above and beyond their deposit, but that is totally not normal.


I find it funny that people think carpet needs to be replaced so often. When I was a baby, my parents bought a house. It had horrible long (shag?) carpet in awful colors (puke green, fire red, white, gray, every room was different). Assuming it was original to the house, it was already 6 years old at that time. My mom let us do everything, including roller skating, in the house, hoping something would happen to the carpet to justify replacing it. When I was 12, they sold the house, and had to replace the still perfectly good carpet because it was so ugly. We then built another house, which they lived in for 12 years, and the carpet in it was still perfectly good as well when they sold it. Neither house was ever repainted during the time we owned it. I have been in my house for 9 years this month, and see no need to replace my perfectly good carpet, or to repaint, anytime soon. And we put the same exact quality of carpet and paint in our rentals as I have in my house.

If you take proper care of your carpets, they can last a long time. And we've never had any sort of chronic health problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Northwest Indiana
689 posts, read 1,271,468 times
Reputation: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post


I find it funny that people think carpet needs to be replaced so often. When I was a baby, my parents bought a house. It had horrible long (shag?) carpet in awful colors (puke green, fire red, white, gray, every room was different). Assuming it was original to the house, it was already 6 years old at that time. My mom let us do everything, including roller skating, in the house, hoping something would happen to the carpet to justify replacing it. When I was 12, they sold the house, and had to replace the still perfectly good carpet because it was so ugly. We then built another house, which they lived in for 12 years, and the carpet in it was still perfectly good as well when they sold it. Neither house was ever repainted during the time we owned it. I have been in my house for 9 years this month, and see no need to replace my perfectly good carpet, or to repaint, anytime soon. And we put the same exact quality of carpet and paint in our rentals as I have in my house.

If you take proper care of your carpets, they can last a long time. And we've never had any sort of chronic health problems.
I have a client who has never changed a carpet out in one of her apartment building. All of it dates to the mid 1970's, its ugly but in decent shape. She has no plans to change it out anytime soon. The building is maintained enough to keep it safe and clean.

The rents are low (mostly low wage working people and fixed income tenants) and the long time renters are OK with the way the building is. They realize that new carpet etc, would mean no more inexpensive rent.

When a property doesn't generate much in the way of income, you have to stick with maintaining what you have, there isn't a business case to upgrade without increasing rents. She doesn't have high expenses on the building so she is OK with keeping the rents on the low side, and she isn't getting rich on this building. Only two of the units ever have turnover (out of ten units), largely people who don't (or won't) understand how the economics work on cheap apartment buildings. Ironically (or maybe not) the people who would tell her she needed to remodel were tenants who didn't work, took welfare, or had section 8. She no longer does section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top