Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

How about not letting them in? Tell them you have work to do and can't be distracted. Have you tried that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I pay rent, but I don't OWN it. So I don't have a lot of say about it.

Our maintenance people have their own key. No knock necessary.

There are generally accepted practices, some backed up by statute, that require LL's to give 24 or 48 hours notice for non-emergency inspections, scheduled repairs etc. These are for the protection of the tenant's rights as a tenant - comparing this situation to an owner's status is apples to oranges.

I agree w/ the OP, if it was happening to me I would be annoyed! And I'm a property manager!!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How about not letting them in? Tell them you have work to do and can't be distracted. Have you tried that?
The OP mentioned that she works from home and does lots of conference calls, so she has to interrupt that to check the door.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 AM

166 posts, read 442,803 times
TKramer are you a landlord/owner pretending to be a renter? Because your attitude is that of "it's mine, I can do what I want". Really, everywhere I read there you are "It's not my home, the owners can come and go a they please. they have a key so let them come in anytime 'cause I don't care." You are a rather bizarre person that has no real value to offer this forum as far as rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants. *smh*

Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The OP mentioned that she works from home and does lots of conference calls, so she has to interrupt that to check the door.
Well, anyone can knock on a door. Or the next door neighbor can decide to play loud music. Or the complex can be jackhammering outside. Working from home in an apartment complex comes with certain distractions.

Answer door, tell them no, close door. Seems a hell of a lot better than answer door, let them in, be distracted for however long they take.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Default Or, you could read the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I pay rent, but I don't OWN it. So I don't have a lot of say about it.

Our maintenance people have their own key. No knock necessary.
True, they don't necessarily have to knock. But they do have to provide advanced notice, and the maintenance must be at a reasonable time. The times and definition of "reasonable" are clearly stated.

Although Florida law is linked below (for the benefit of TKramar, who could use a refresher), most states laws are similar.

One would think that the OP and the property management company could work out the problem, but perhaps that's not possible, for whatever reason.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2009->Ch0083->Section 53 : flsenate.gov

Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
Quote:
Well, anyone can knock on a door. Or the next door neighbor can decide to play loud music. Or the complex can be jackhammering outside. Working from home in an apartment complex comes with certain distractions.

Answer door, tell them no, close door. Seems a hell of a lot better than answer door, let them in, be distracted for however long they take.
So it's all or nothing? Either install a moat around your house, or put up with nonstop distractions?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
So it's all or nothing? Either install a moat around your house, or put up with nonstop distractions?
Exactly. You can't stop everyone from knocking on the door, but the complex personnel have been made aware of the issue and for whatever reason, continue to ignore the OP's request.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
So tell me exactly what a renter should do in regards to the distractions I mentioned?

Keep in mind your answer can't include being distracted for even a minute as apparently answering the door and saying you can't come in is too much of a distraction.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So tell me exactly what a renter should do in regards to the distractions I mentioned?
The OP has apparently already informed the complex of the issue and they have ignored her.

Personally, I'd say it's time to get tough with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting