U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM

5,278 posts, read 5,444,472 times
Default How often is carpet replaced?

And I'm blanking on the term....for you know....argh....when you periodically replace something on a schedule or when it reaches a certain condition....planned replacement?

Last edited by Giesela; 07-10-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM

8,987 posts, read 8,170,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
And I'm blanking on the term....for you know....argh....when you periodically replace something on a schedule or when it reaches a certain condition....planned replacement?

I do not think there is any formal schedule for replacing carpet. It will vary depending on the quality of the carpet and the wear it gets.

I put new carpet in my home several years ago, and it stills looks new. There are only two adults in the house and no pets. I do get visits from kids' dogs, but they are well behaved! I clean stains frequently, and I have my own rug cleaning machine. The only real dirt is in areas right inside outside entrances, where I wish I had tile instead of carpet. The house is 23 years old, and the original carpet, with two sons growing up in the house, lasted 17 years. We used a high quality carpet when we built the house.

Red fruit juices were not allowed in the house. The worst problem I had was when one son waved the cartridge from a ballpoint pen like a magic wand. I could NOT get the ink out of the carpet. I could not get the kids to take off shoes when they came inside, but that is a great way to keep carpet clean.

Maybe the term you are trying to think of is "preventative maintenance?" To me, that means taking care of little problems before they get bigger.

Depreciation schedules for property owners will specify when various items are depreciated for tax purposes, but that does not mean the item, such as carpet, will automatically be replaced at that interval.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 PM

I realize that carpet wear will vary, as will wear on other things like formica etc. but I think there is a business model term for the idea of replacing on some sort of "schedule" barring extremes.
I feel like I moved into this apt one renter before probable replacement. Since at 3 years I've been hear longer than most (I've had all new neighbors, bar one, twice) I would like to send a letter asking for new carpet. I also do not have the same (but still cheap kitchen cabinents shown in the office model. Those have off white formica like fronts with oak trim. I have the rather awful dark brown plastic fake wood grain. I can live with that. The carpet is driving me nuts.
I would like to use the right term in my request.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
It depnds on how well teh renters keep the carpet. in some cases it has to be repalced once a dirty oe move ;seriously. Other than tha it depds on the quilty fo teh carept. i have seen hoe have carpet that lasted 20 eyars with high wol content.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM

8,987 posts, read 8,170,900 times
I found this site when I was looking for information for landlords. (I am a reluctant landlord, owning one single family house.) I have seen the same question on other landlord/tenant boards.

The consensus is that there is no specific timetable for replacing carpet, and most do it when the apartment is readied for a new tenant.

Some landlords have suggested that the tenant ask the landlord --- nicely --- to replace the carpet. If you have been a good tenant who pays on time and plans to stay for a while, most of the landlords said they would consider replacing the carpet. How old is the carpet?

As far as the cabinets are concerned, it's amazing what a coat of paint will do, and laminate can be painted. I have seen painting of rentals discussed, and landlords do not like for tenants to do painting themselves, because many make a mess of it, such as painting over light switches and hardware. If you are willing to do it yourself and can convince the landlord you will do as good a job as his painter would, he may let you do it.

I probably would not ask about the carpet and the cabinets at the same time. though.

I still cannot find the term you are looking for.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 AM

This is a fairly large complex. The management company owns/runs this one, another one, and several college dorm complexes. My impression from a couple of other small requests are that they want it left the way it was found - i.e. no painting cabinets. I can paint the walls a neutral color and move and they wouldn't care but if I wanted color, accent walls etc. I would have to paint something neutral over them before I left. They do a quick cheap repaint between tenants and don't want to have to try to cover a color. Same with the lamp over where the dining room table goes - I asked if I could change it and they said sure as long as I put the old one back when I left. They sell the model so things need to be the same, although my apt is already not the model I also asked if I could buy my own fridge, same answer, I would have to store the one I have somewhere and put it back.
The only difference I've found is that in visiting a neighbor I saw they had ceiling fans and I don't. They said they used to have them but no longer replace them. If tenants put them up and leave them that is ok. So some apts might have them and some might not, they don't maintain them either way.
None of which you all cared to know! I guess I'm just saying bigger complexes are different to deal with than smaller ones or someone with a few houses. For one thing they have office staff whose job it is basically is to say "no". So I know I will be sending my letter directly to the corporation management office. They may kick it back down to the office staff I don't know. But I know what the office staff's answer will be so its my only shot.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 AM

146 posts, read 326,894 times
There's no law about replacing carpets, and you'll be hard pressed to find property managers who will do it for you unless they're exceptionally nice, or if the existing carpets pose some health hazard, such as mold, that's no fault of your own.

As someone else mentioned, you may be thinking of a depreciation schedule, which refers to how much you're liable to pay if the carpets need to be replaced, depending on the age of the carpet, which is typically understood to be 8 years. So let's say the carpet is 7 years old when you move out, but there's more damage than would be expected from typical wear and tear, and they decide to charge you with replacement. Well, they can only charge you 1/8th (for the one year of eight presumed to remain in the life of the carpet) of the replacement cost. If the carpet is over 8 years old, they can't charge you anything to replace it, regardless of its condition.

Carpets aren't changed on a schedule. There's nothing stopping a LL from renting out a property with carpets that are ten years old, or from renting an apartment out to someone for 15 years without ever replacing the carpet. LLs replace carpets to attract tenants, charge more rent, or because they pose a health risk, not because they have to.

All you can do is ask nicely on the basis that the carpets are really old, or request a different apartment in the complex.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backandforth83 View Post

As someone else mentioned, you may be thinking of a depreciation schedule,

All you can do is ask nicely on the basis that the carpets are really old, or request a different apartment in the complex.
No depreciation isn't what I'm thinking of.

Yes I know that. Although I'd probably move to a different complex if I move.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,038,347 times
When it needs it. Could be one year, could be 20.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 PM

The replies here are based on arbitrary application. I would think that a big management complex would have both (1) some sort of guideline on what constitutes acceptable wear and replacement to maintain the reputation of the complex. That their threshold for wear and replacement would depend on what market and rent level they are tgting and (2) some idea of an average when that typically happens so they can plug that into their business model and plan for budgeting.
Not just 'whenever they think'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting