Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 PM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times

Advertisements

ok i've been told the new people upstairs have been warned to watch their tub/shower curtain and make sure its not hanging outside the tub and also dont let the tub over flow because it'll rain in my bathroom below.......

landlord says go up there if theres any water trouble and notify them.

so i just did and its obvious they're home. so i gave two thick hearty police style knocks and all of a sudden the noise they had (tv radios) all stopped until i got back to my apartment because they never answered the door?

rude or just scared of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Probably scared of you, just like your landlord is scared of them. I'm all in favor of talking to your neighbors over problems like this, but your landlord should really be addressing this.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Probably scared of you, just like your landlord is scared of them. I'm all in favor of talking to your neighbors over problems like this, but your landlord should really be addressing this.

i 100% agree. but the landlord lives like 25 minutes away so i doubt he's scared of them. probably a case of people being hard headed

i just dont see the point of getting water all over the place and not thinking that it wont cause a problem when you're on the upstairs floor.

who'd be liable for damages?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
i 100% agree. but the landlord lives like 25 minutes away so i doubt he's scared of them. probably a case of people being hard headed

i just dont see the point of getting water all over the place and not thinking that it wont cause a problem when you're on the upstairs floor.

who'd be liable for damages?
had your landlord heard of the phone.. ?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
had your landlord heard of the phone.. ?

he's been here lately doing alot of major work so i'll just tell him then instead of calling him at 9pm over something small. its not like its raining in my bathroom but at the same time its water none the less

Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Why is water so easily coming in to your apartment? Something doesn't seem right.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:15 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Instead of beating on your neighbors door, send a letter to your landlored requesting he makes the the repairs needed so it doesnt rain in your bathroom.

Who's liable? Your landlord. He owns the building. I hope you have rental insurance that will cover any damage to your personal belongings.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
ok i've been told the new people upstairs have been warned to watch their tub/shower curtain and make sure its not hanging outside the tub and also dont let the tub over flow because it'll rain in my bathroom below.......

landlord says go up there if theres any water trouble and notify them.

so i just did and its obvious they're home. so i gave two thick hearty police style knocks and all of a sudden the noise they had (tv radios) all stopped until i got back to my apartment because they never answered the door?

rude or just scared of me?
You landlord is an idiot. Water from the shower upstairs should not come into your apt!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
This is where things start to cross the line between "Well, my landlord's a busy guy, and this really doesn't bother me THAT much, so I'm going to be nice and cut him some slack" and "certified letter".

Don't get me wrong - it is commendable that you're speaking to your neighbor about this. I've said it before and I'll say it again: 90% of the problems on this board could be eliminated if people would just talk to one another. So going upstairs and addressing the problem is great!

However, your landlord should have your back more on this. If your landlord warned you, then it's obviously been a problem for some time and he's obviously aware of it. Given both of those facts, he needs to deal with the tenants. If water is soaking through to your apartment, it IS causing damage, and it's in his best interest to get the upstairs tenant into line. Maybe that's his intention; maybe he's already given them their final warning about the shower. Maybe they're weird folks who don't close the shower curtain (I actually know someone who does this). Or maybe they only have an exterior, non-waterproof curtain.

Whatever the problem, it shouldn't be yours. I'm glad you seem to be on the right track, but at the same time, I know that if I went to my LL with a complaint about someone's water leaking into my apartment, they'd deal with it pronto. One way or another.

Of course, never having problems with my upstairs neighbors is one of the advantages of living in a penthouse, but still.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Instead of beating on your neighbors door, send a letter to your landlored requesting he makes the the repairs needed so it doesnt rain in your bathroom.

Who's liable? Your landlord. He owns the building. I hope you have rental insurance that will cover any damage to your personal belongings.

ok so you'd call your landlord and just sit there and listen to water flood your bathroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting