U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:04 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,398,803 times

Advertisements

I never stated you grew pot, you gave a very vague question and based off of your vagueness, one can only figure it was due to no good. Why didnt you just explain the situation to begin with? Without a copy of the bill, I wouldnt pay a dime.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-24-2010, 01:39 PM

16,836 posts, read 15,467,018 times
How much exactly is this extremely high bill ?

I would request she show you the last 2 months , that shows you what previous charges were and of course it being Summertime you understand the bill will be much higher.

If you don't want to give the amount of the bill, can you say how much higher it was than the last ?

Summer could increase a bill by as much as $ 100 if the air is running full time. Its a heat wave almost everywhere right now

I understood you to say you are hardly there....

Old 07-24-2010, 02:13 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,919,945 times
Perhaps I am lost but the solution seems easy, refuse to pay unless you are shown the bill. That seems fair.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:29 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,256,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Perhaps I am lost but the solution seems easy, refuse to pay unless you are shown the bill. That seems fair.
I agree. And if she threatens to take you to court, good. A judge will want to see a copy of the bill.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 PM

621 posts, read 1,139,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I agree. And if she threatens to take you to court, good. A judge will want to see a copy of the bill.
Good answer - I agree.

540_804, this person you sublet from may have been a nice cordial person, as you said, when you moved in - but right now she doesn't sound like she's being a very honest one.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,097,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
LoL..i think the last two posters got it completely wrong. I don't grow pot in my apartment..lol.

I'm actually hoping they have access to such information.

Here's the short of the story:

I sublet a place from someone and now, almost a full month after I vacated the place, she sends me a text saying I owe $XXX for the electric bill. We agreed to keep the utilities in her name and I agreed that I would pay all charges incurred while I was there. I have no problem paying the bill but its several times MORE than I expected it to be, which seems odd because I worked 10 hours shifts and was only there to sleep and cook, never used the AC and was very conservative with usage. The bill was multiple times higher than what she quoted me as the highest bill she ever paid at the place (in the coldest of winter with 2 people staying there).

The problem is, when I asked her to see the bill she refused. Also the utility co. won't let me pay it w/out the acct number and last 4 digits of SSN. She expects me to blindly hand her $XXX w/out seeing the bill. I don't want to be a jerk about it because I absolutely WILL take full responsibility for paying the bill and I would NEVER flake out on an agreement to pay...that would be just wrong. But I also don't want to be taken advantage of (I have a suspicion in the back of my mind that she may be trying to get me to pay some back-owed charges on her bill). I was hoping I could talk to the LL and figure out exactly how much is owed for the month I stayed there and pay ONLY that.
I"ve called and electric companies and said I was a prospective tenant trying to rent an apartment what was the bill for the last 3 or 4 months. I don't believe the companies are restricted from giving out that information.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,557,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
How much exactly is this extremely high bill ?

I would request she show you the last 2 months , that shows you what previous charges were and of course it being Summertime you understand the bill will be much higher.

If you don't want to give the amount of the bill, can you say how much higher it was than the last ?

Summer could increase a bill by as much as $ 100 if the air is running full time. Its a heat wave almost everywhere right now

I understood you to say you are hardly there....
The amount she's asking from me is about 3.5-4x the amount she told me was her average bill. About 2x more than the amount she said was her highest bill ever since occupying the unit (which occurred during an abnormally cold winter with 2 occupants in the unit).

And you're correct I did say I was hardly there. I would generally wake up at anywhere between 8am and 9am and head out for a late breakfast with friends before going to work at noon. After work (til 8 or 9pm) I would usually hang out with friends for a bit before heading home ~11pm. Then fix dinner, surf the net for an hour and go to bed. That was pretty much my daily schedule 6-7 days/week. It was basically a summer pied-a-terre used so that I could take a summer job.

Note: The apartment was interesting in that it had NO overhead lighting except in kitchen and bathrooms. The only other light I had in the apartment was a floor lamp in my bedroom. I had no TV. AC was rarely on as I was never there. When I had the AC on, the thermostat was set to 83 degrees (hot by some standards, but I walked to work everyday in 90-100 degree heat so 83 was pleasant). Obviously I didn't use any heat.

The only thing I can see that really would have consumed energy on a constant basis is the fridge. I would say I used the oven and microwave an average of 3minutes a day. I charged my cell phone and laptop every night but I wouldn't figure they could consume that much electricity.

I'll definitely take the advice given in this thread to call the utility company posing as a future resident. If it turns out that the bill is as high as she says for the month that I occupied, then of course I'll pay it... If there are some discrepancies between the two figures, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,557,769 times
BTW, thanks for all of the replies/advice/suggestions.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM

3,114 posts, read 7,980,454 times
You know, there could be another reason it was so high - I don't know where you live, but sometimes in San Diego the electric company doesn't actually read the meter - they estimate usage - and then when they finally do make it out to read the actual meter, if their estimates were off, the bill can suddenly jump way up or way down - which can be a huge pain, if you suddenly get a much larger bill to make up for the previously too small bills.

Hopefully that's not the case in your situation!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 PM

16,836 posts, read 15,467,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
The amount she's asking from me is about 3.5-4x the amount she told me was her average bill. About 2x more than the amount she said was her highest bill ever since occupying the unit (which occurred during an abnormally cold winter with 2 occupants in the unit).

And you're correct I did say I was hardly there. I would generally wake up at anywhere between 8am and 9am and head out for a late breakfast with friends before going to work at noon. After work (til 8 or 9pm) I would usually hang out with friends for a bit before heading home ~11pm. Then fix dinner, surf the net for an hour and go to bed. That was pretty much my daily schedule 6-7 days/week. It was basically a summer pied-a-terre used so that I could take a summer job.

Note: The apartment was interesting in that it had NO overhead lighting except in kitchen and bathrooms. The only other light I had in the apartment was a floor lamp in my bedroom. I had no TV. AC was rarely on as I was never there. When I had the AC on, the thermostat was set to 83 degrees (hot by some standards, but I walked to work everyday in 90-100 degree heat so 83 was pleasant). Obviously I didn't use any heat.

The only thing I can see that really would have consumed energy on a constant basis is the fridge. I would say I used the oven and microwave an average of 3minutes a day. I charged my cell phone and laptop every night but I wouldn't figure they could consume that much electricity.

I'll definitely take the advice given in this thread to call the utility company posing as a future resident. If it turns out that the bill is as high as she says for the month that I occupied, then of course I'll pay it... If there are some discrepancies between the two figures, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

It is true that you can call the electric company and ask them " How much was the electric bill for this place during the summer , or last summer months ? " I did that and she told me the exact amount for whatever I wanted to know.

Your electric use is generated by 3 factors : , heating , cooling and light usage. :
You were hardly ever home . You hardly ran the air.
Computers and fridge do not account for huge electric bills.
Cooling and Heating do.

If she will not show you the bill and since she wants you to pay it refuse to do so like the other posters suggested.

I estimate from what you said that your electric bill should be no higher than $ 50.00 based on higher thermastat setting , and not being home to use these utilities .

Is it possible she is fishing for extra cash ? Do you know why she is acting this way ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>