Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The lease probably doesn't expressly forbid goats either if it's silent about animals. Doesn't mean goats are are allowed.
Goats are classified as livestock in most places. It's hardly the same thing as getting a dog when the lease does not forbid pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
They have bad breath.
Maybe find somebody else to make out with!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Quote:
they have bad breath.

lol ~~~~

Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterblog View Post
I moved into a new place last month, a duplex. I found it via Craigslist, the landlord seems super nice, and the guy that lived in the duplex was just moving to the other side of it (he's the handyman) -- the last tentants RUINED it, and made a massive mess. So he moved to the other side to take care of it and stay in that side and I moved into the other side. It's incredible, and I love it.

Since he was there, the landlord had him show me the place, and had me sign the lease she had there, and I gave the deposit and rent checks to him. All is well, I absolutely love living there.
Were your checks cashed? What did the endorsement read? Are you sure that you are renting from someone who has a legal right to rent to you? Because here is how I see this: You have never actually met the LL, and have signed a lease with and given money to a neighbor. This sounds suspicious to me.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Were your checks cashed? What did the endorsement read? Are you sure that you are renting from someone who has a legal right to rent to you? Because here is how I see this: You have never actually met the LL, and have signed a lease with and given money to a neighbor. This sounds suspicious to me.
The one page rinky dink lease and call-a-cell phone or text only method of communication with the "landlord" raised a red flag with me too. I would be very, very concerned if you "text" the landlord and they tell you to continue giving the rent checks to this "handyman" who will pass them on.

Call me a cynic but there have been many scams like the one described in the OP pulled on people via craigslist and other rental sites.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The one page rinky dink lease and call-a-cell phone or text only method of communication with the "landlord" raised a red flag with me too. I would be very, very concerned if you "text" the landlord and they tell you to continue giving the rent checks to this "handyman" who will pass them on.

Call me a cynic but there have been many scams like the one described in the OP pulled on people via craigslist and other rental sites.
Most Counties have public records where the owner, owner's address, and other details are available for lookup.

steve

Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
She needs a copy of the lease signed by both the LL and herself.

Last edited by virgode; 07-30-2010 at 02:28 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 05:19 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Most Counties have public records where the owner, owner's address, and other details are available for lookup.

steve
Yes they do. And I'd be sure to do a lookup and contact the landlord ASAP.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Sounds like you've got an inexperience landlord. Like our political system, things will have to be worked out as you go. As long as you are ready to pay, and ready to move the pup to other premises on demand, you should be fine.

Best wishes.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 19,019 times
I have a copy of the lease signed by both the LL and I, and no, I am not paying my rent to the handyman. The landlord notified me as soon as she got the checks, which was the same night I gave them to the handyman. I have followed up with my LL, who got back with me about how to handle rent (and it's not given to the handyman, it's send directly to her....they just didn't let me know that at first )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting