Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:16 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

I'm getting discouraged. Also, perhaps we should re-think leasing at all. that would make it even more difficult to sell later, with a renter occupying it, difficult to show. And we've sunk $10,000 into fixing it up, it will never look better than it does right now.

The selling season is just about voer here now. It starts around March-April, peaks about June, people like to get settled in July because school starts in august.

The agent keeps telling us there's still a good chance to rent, but I doubt that. A 5 bdr only appeals to families with children, children who will be in school, if they settled by now they aren't looking in the first place.

We needed to move out, anyways, just to show it, regardless of for rent or sale. We're just not the type of family that can live always at the ready to show. My kids are born slobs, and I'm disabled, not able to be constantly cleaning, picking up, etc. The only way to fix up the place was to move. we had it painted, before we moved the kids caused so much damage (in about 2 weeks) we had to have it touched up again. Big mistake, we should have completely cleared out, then painted, etc.

But be that as it may, kids are hard on homes. Another tennant family would probably tear it up even more than my kids did, then there we are, with another round of fixing it up. Perhaps just bite the bullet and try to sell, even in the off season. Interest does pick up around Christmas, its another block of time for people to move. Its just that with the mortgage market being what it is, its hard to find a qualified buyer. Plenty of interested buyers, just not qualified. That's why every house in our neighborhood that's available is for lease, not for sale, people have realized that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
When you rent then sell, you're right, lots of issues. You have to cover your butt and make sure that it is in the lease that they will agree to keep the house in good shape & picked up for showings and that they will agree to show the house with 24 hour notice. Some renters do not let agents in because it's their stuff that could be stolen or they don't want the hassle.

I say just list it for sale. Do it now & you might get lucky.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
When you rent then sell, you're right, lots of issues. You have to cover your butt and make sure that it is in the lease that they will agree to keep the house in good shape & picked up for showings and that they will agree to show the house with 24 hour notice. Some renters do not let agents in because it's their stuff that could be stolen or they don't want the hassle.

I say just list it for sale. Do it now & you might get lucky.
If there's no renter by tomorrow, I will re list it for sale. If there's o renter by now, there won't be anytime soon, anyways. We've sunk too much into it to let a renter tear it up then re do it to sell.

meanwhile, we're renting a home the owner couldn't sell. We're hoping perhaps to buy it, so, the sooner we sell our home, the sooner we can make an offer on this home.

The owners are "lucky" to have found us. We treat the house as if itw were our own, because it might be soon. also, we just want to do right and not tear their place up. Its a beautiful house, immaculate condition, we want to keep it that way!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 720 times
I am currently looking for a home to rent. Is there any way to view the property if you have not rented or sold it yet? And what is the rent amount I saw you mentioned that the cost of utilities was $300. Please get in contact with me. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I didn't read the entire post, sorry...

My advise, try your self first by using many websites and be creative.

If that doesn't work hire a management company/realtor, but check if the realtor doesn't have conflicting interest. Check the property appraisers website....My experience is that a realtor who ownes many properties him self will try to rent his own before he will rent yours. He/she will try to get traffic for your properties by stating things like...I have a nother one that is real nice, great area, nice rent amount, etc..." meanwhile yours will stay empty until he has all his own properties rented out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting