U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2010, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,896 times
Default Extremely dirty house!

I had my first tenants leave my first rental property and it is a complete mess! Always seemed to be good tenants, house was always well kept when i stopped by, but for some reason for the last two months of their lease they let it all go- left pets indoors for who knows how long, let utilities get shut off, left food to rot in the fridge and it is a WRECK. i need to get it cleaned asap but i cannot do it (i am no longer in the area due to work). Who do you even get ahold of to take care of serious cleaning like this? They are gone but i have the security deposit and i need to get this done asap.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM

14,794 posts, read 17,229,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCurrie68 View Post
I had my first tenants leave my first rental property and it is a complete mess! Always seemed to be good tenants, house was always well kept when i stopped by, but for some reason for the last two months of their lease they let it all go- left pets indoors for who knows how long, let utilities get shut off, left food to rot in the fridge and it is a WRECK. i need to get it cleaned asap but i cannot do it (i am no longer in the area due to work). Who do you even get ahold of to take care of serious cleaning like this? They are gone but i have the security deposit and i need to get this done asap.

Thanks for any help.
Get used to it.

You might contact a company that deals with disaster cleaning. They will have the names of reputable people in the business who can clean the house up. Make sure whomever you hire to do this has A BUSINESS LICENSE and INSURANCE. You don't want to hire "Effie's Cleaning Service", because they won't be able to handle the filth level.

I've been a landlord for many years, and it doesn't get any easier or better. If you are going to continue to rent this property out, you might want to establish a relationship with a company that will do the cleaning and light repairs for you. Or make a trip to do it yourself.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 PM

21,477 posts, read 35,351,953 times
Default In my neck of the woods...

...many firefighters / paramedics either did this as a side job or would refer to friends who did this. I think they have a good schedule and are Ok with the "unattended death" level of grossness so nothing phases these guys.

Be prepared to pay about $50/hr with a 4 hr minimum for the full pet mess / science experiment kitchen and then hire "regular" maid service type company to sanitize, dust the place and swab out the toilets afterwards, these are separate services. If the mold and such in the fridge has permeated the seals just get a new one...

Hopefully your security deposit / cleaning fees are all safely in the bank. Sometimes renters just give up on stuff when they realize that life is not going the way they hoped. One of the worst parts of being a landlord...

Old 08-19-2010, 04:41 PM

410 posts, read 389,217 times
A good cleaning service.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM

21,477 posts, read 35,351,953 times
Default MerryMaids won't cut it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
A good cleaning service.

Dog poop and fridge that looks like something from a low budget horror movie are not the kind of things that nice ladies with dust mops will handle ...

Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM

17,022 posts, read 10,071,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCurrie68 View Post
I had my first tenants leave my first rental property and it is a complete mess! Always seemed to be good tenants, house was always well kept when i stopped by, but for some reason for the last two months of their lease they let it all go- left pets indoors for who knows how long, let utilities get shut off, left food to rot in the fridge and it is a WRECK. i need to get it cleaned asap but i cannot do it (i am no longer in the area due to work). Who do you even get a hold of to take care of serious cleaning like this? They are gone but i have the security deposit and i need to get this done asap.

Thanks for any help.
I'm sorry to read you have had this experience. I am a renter and I would never dream of leaving a property like that which makes it bad for me as a renter possibly coming behind someone who left such a mess.

The best place to start is a cleaning service however, be honest with them and tell them the exact condition of the property so they are not shocked when they show up and find the mess. If that company won't do it for you ask them if they know a company that will. Good luck and I hope your next renters are much better humans.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,280,416 times
Call an insurance company or two in that area and ask for referrals for cleaning services that do 'serious' clean-up (like for fires/floods/murders)....they will be able to recommend the real professionals. We buy and sell repo's/HUD's and they are ALWAYS nasty so you have my condolences, but it's amazing what a good professional cleaning crew with the right equipment can do in one day.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
A place like service master would probably do it.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 PM

3,350 posts, read 10,057,078 times
I recently had a tenant who left such a bad mess, a forensic clean up crew would not have touched it. I had the refrigerator duct tape closed and sealed in plastic and taken out whole.
I did find a crew to clean and empty the unit by looking on Craig's List. I did warn any prospective cleaner about the seriousness of the mess. I finally found a crew and paid 175.00 to clean and empty the unit, including the refrigerator(gone). Painting and make ready were additional. I keep thier number on speed dial. I'm sure it will happen again. Learn from me and maybe you will not be so surprised the next time it happens.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 PM

13,776 posts, read 25,160,968 times
Your local Rental Property Association will have a list of firms that specialize in rental turn overs... sometimes called "Make Ready"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting