Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I moved to this apartment which apparently had a court case settled between previous tenants and the neighbor downstairs due to "noise" level complaints.

My Real Estate Agent never told me anything about this even though she was aware that I had 2 small kids (3 & 5 years old.) After 2-3 months, my neighbor from downstairs apparently wrote 4-5 complaint letters to the management (a lot of false accusations) and even "life-threatening" allegations (apparently I threatened his life) (that family is mental)

So I am kind of tired of this crap at this point, so my landlord told me that we were told to move out by the management.

- If I move out, can I legally request the broker fee ($2050) to be refunded since my real estate agent did not disclose the previous legal issue with the apartment? My landlord has stated that she has notified the broker about the court case and telling me that she knew about the crazy neighbors and the case...

So I am not sure,

I don't see the point of living here since I don't wanna waste my time with all the "complaint" letters and the biased management's BS so moving out is 1 option, but I want to know whether I can get a refund...

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 04:33 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
If it were me, I'd write a letter back to the landlord categorically denying everything you are accused of that isn't true, and tell the landlord you would like to file a complaint for defamation of character and harassment by the downstairs neighbor.

I would then go on to tell them that you are willing to move if your deposit AND your broker fee are refunded in full immediately, since you entered into the lease in good faith and have done nothing wrong. Leave it up to the landlord to collect from the agent.

You said "my landlord told me that we were told to move out by management". Is this true? If you move without a written agreement, then you could be held liable for any remaining term of your lease and/or a lease break penalty.

Of course you are legally entitled to "request" a refund directly from the broker. Whether they have any obligation to comply is the question. My area doesn't use brokers to place tenants, so I have no idea on that one.

Personally, I wouldn't move if the landlord/property manager wasn't willing to sign a no fault termination of lease and give a full refund. Unless there is more to the story that you aren't telling here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting