Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 PM

7 posts, read 33,244 times

Advertisements

I've been in my current apartment for over a year now, and I'm ready to move into a slightly bigger place. I found, via Craigslist, a place that coincidentally my current apartment manager is trying to rent out. I went and looked at the place, and absolutely loved it, but when I asked to submit an application my manager denied that the apartment was available and simply said I could not apply.

Three more ads have been listed for this apartment within the past few days, so clearly the place is still available. My manager has to let me apply for the place, right?? I've never been late with rent, my apartment is spotless- I see no reason why he wouldn't want me to rent another one of his apartments (unless he doesn't want to bother with trying to rent my current place).
Any ideas as to what I should/can do???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoLA86 View Post
I've been in my current apartment for over a year now, and I'm ready to move into a slightly bigger place. I found, via Craigslist, a place that coincidentally my current apartment manager is trying to rent out. I went and looked at the place, and absolutely loved it, but when I asked to submit an application my manager denied that the apartment was available and simply said I could not apply.

Three more ads have been listed for this apartment within the past few days, so clearly the place is still available. My manager has to let me apply for the place, right?? I've never been late with rent, my apartment is spotless- I see no reason why he wouldn't want me to rent another one of his apartments (unless he doesn't want to bother with trying to rent my current place).
Any ideas as to what I should/can do???????
Have a friend call and make an appointment to see the building. Go with this friend. If the manager still refuses to let you rent it, take him to court.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,130 times
Lease status?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
The manager is not obligated to rent you the apartment. What is the status of your current lease? If your lease is still in effect, the manager does not have to allow you to transfer that lease. Have you tried to ask the manager why you can't rent the apartment?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 AM

475 posts, read 570,906 times
It's not a net gain for the manager if he loses a tenant in one and gains them in the other. Why would it be worthwhile to bother?

Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 33,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Lease status?
My lease ended a few months ago, so now I'm just on a month-to-month basis. I guess I understand the reasoning that he'll lose a tenant in one building so why bother, but to me it doesn't seem just nor fair, especially seeing as I will moving out of this place ASAP (it's very noisy), so he'd be gaining another year-lease from me instead of just losing me out right.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:57 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Your logic is right on, but what is the manager's logic? You need to get a discussion going with the manager.. I am a LL and have in the past allowed good tenants to move between uni ts if they need to up size or down size. Even in the middle of a lease. It's a win when it's a good tenant. The manager's reasons for not moving you to another unit is his to tell.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,944 times
To tell you that the place is no longer available is questionable. I don't know his reasoning. I don't think that the issue of going from one of his places to another would be an issue to him because if he knows your looking then he knows he will be moving out of your present place any how. If you have been consistently on the line in his opinion say with dirty apt, late rent, rowdy kids or complaints from neighbors then he may be looking at that. (I'm not saying you have these issues I'm saying if you do).
Since he already has your financial statement from the application for the unit your in now he may not think you will be able to afford the higher rent.
You may be looking at a fair housing issue and that can turn nasty at times. Refusal to sell or rent a dwelling to any person because of race, color, religion, family status, or national origin. But I would ask whether he has exhibited this type of actions in the past. The fact that you are in one of his places now tells me probably not, how ever maybe he sees "Class type" Neighborhoods. IE Older people live in the Neighborhood and you have kids, or its a Black area and your white. That kinda up to you to to determine. How ever you very rarely see fair Housing violations because the penalties are so high.
Also consider that he had someone to move in when he told you that it was gone and that deal fell through. There are allot of different reasons for his decision not to rent to you and to be honest if he doesn't want you there then you don't want to be there.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,401,305 times
What would it matter? He's still gaining rent from her moving into something managed by him anyway. She says her current place is spotless, all the better for the manager.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,130 times
If you really want to push the issue just tell him you will move out of your current unit if he doesn't let you into the new one. A good landlord would let you do this if you are a good tenant who pays on time. I'd think it'd make sense to have one unit occupied for sure than have 2 unoccupied.

Be prepared to go elsewhere if he doesn't allow it to happen. If he doesn't I'm not sure I'd want to stay anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting