Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,468,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anki6357 View Post
So, basically you guys are suggesting I should get my deposit back and forget about the pain I suffered.

Theres no magic wand that can be waved by the forum...only suggestions and since we can't influence the property manager or the other party, there are only so many remedies that can be suggested. Only one persons taking possesion of the apartment.

I can understand you really had your heart set on this particular unit, to find this out is a big disappointment, but at this point the pain and suffering aspect is getting a bit dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,638,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
None of which expenses usually hold up in court ...
Do you have some kind of empirical evidence for this, or is that what you've seen on Judge Judy?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,347,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The cost of another a hotel, a less favorable lease with another apartment moving. Wasted time in looking for another apartment. A more expensive(but offering similiar value) apartment that the OP was forced to rent because of the complexes breach. The list goes on and on...
What hotel?

A less favorable lease is not a monetary loss.

He does not have to take a more expensive place.

His time? If they had said it wasn't avaliable to begin with, he'd still have to spend the time looking for a new place.

Why would the apartment complex just hand this person money? I wouldn't give them a dime.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,468,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
What hotel?

A less favorable lease is not a monetary loss.

He does not have to take a more expensive place.

His time? If they had said it wasn't avaliable to begin with, he'd still have to spend the time looking for a new place.

Why would the apartment complex just hand this person money? I wouldn't give them a dime.
OP hasn't been back....I think she was successfully convinced small claims would cure her pain and suffering $$$$. Its really what she came to the forum to hear anyway.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,495,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Do you have some kind of empirical evidence for this, or is that what you've seen on Judge Judy?
Despite your sarcasm and for the sake of good order I've personally seen this kind of thing played out in court several times so the answer would be yes.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
What appliances are landlords responsible to provide to rent an apartment to a tenant? I live in an apartment that has had a broken stove since before we moved in. The landlord has been contacted with many phone calls and text messages and has still not provided a working stove. Is he required by law to provide me with a working stove? I have paid first, last, security as well as my monthly rent since June 1st, 2011. What are my legal rights as a renter. I have no signed lease in place. We know this guy and so far as a landlord he has ignored us completely. Please advise on how to proceed.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,495,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovebroken View Post
What appliances are landlords responsible to provide to rent an apartment to a tenant? I live in an apartment that has had a broken stove since before we moved in. The landlord has been contacted with many phone calls and text messages and has still not provided a working stove. Is he required by law to provide me with a working stove? I have paid first, last, security as well as my monthly rent since June 1st, 2011. What are my legal rights as a renter. I have no signed lease in place. We know this guy and so far as a landlord he has ignored us completely. Please advise on how to proceed.
Since you don't have a written lease agreement you're a month to month "at will" tenant and will have to google your state landlord tenant laws to see what is said about stoves. Most states require that a landlord provide a stove in good working order unless there's a lease clause contrary to that. The proper way to advise your LL of repairs is in writing by return receipt certified mail. When a LL doesn't make repairs in a reasonable time frame, many states allow tenants to have the necessary repairs made and deduct the amount from their rent payments. Good luck.

PS: Next time you have a question, start a new thread instead of dragging up an old one - it's often very confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting