U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 16,112 times

Advertisements

This question of two leases at the same time was pointed out on another thread. Hopefully its worthy of its own discussion.

My girlfriend signed a lease for a house with me listed as an occupant. After two years it went month to month. Landlord comes into town from overseas. I sign a new lease. My girlfriend isn't on it at all, though still lives in the house.

To add to it. my girlfriend got her deposit back from the property manager before I signed a new lease. I paid a new deposit.

Do we have two leases for the same property? Is her lease still valid, no 30 notice was given by her or the landlord.

Is my lease null and void?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 06:59 PM

22,567 posts, read 27,275,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia92116 View Post
This question of two leases at the same time was pointed out on another thread. Hopefully its worthy of its own discussion.

My girlfriend signed a lease for a house with me listed as an occupant. After two years it went month to month. Landlord comes into town from overseas. I sign a new lease. My girlfriend isn't on it at all, though still lives in the house.

To add to it. my girlfriend got her deposit back from the property manager before I signed a new lease. I paid a new deposit.

Do we have two leases for the same property? Is her lease still valid, no 30 notice was given by her or the landlord.

Is my lease null and void?

Thank you for your thoughts.
You said in your other thread (why you need a new thread on the same subject is beyond me) that your gf's lease became month to month and her security deposit was subsequently returned to her. Her lease and the continuation of same under the month to month agreement is over and done with. You signed a lease for which you alone are responsible. Your gf does not have any further agreement with the LL, you do. There's nothing complicated about this at all. Your lease is not null and void but since you have broken the no pet clause in the lease your LL is perfectly entitled to evict you since you appear unwilling to compromise and remove the bevy of animals from the property. Hope that helps. If you doubt, seek the help of an attorney.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:25 AM

12,187 posts, read 12,693,068 times
Posters asked you the very same questions that you yourself clarified in the last thread. Scrammble this up as many ways as you wish, the bad news is you were evicted, accept it move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia92116 View Post
This is the way its done. Nothing illegal has occured.
EDIT:
I'll add to clarify, in bewtween the time where her lease ended and your lease began, she (gf) is considered hold-over with the lanldords approval and still responsible for rental payments.

Last edited by virgode; 08-29-2010 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 51,920 times
Can there be 2 separate lease agreements for the same property for the same period of time? I unknowning signed a "lease agreement" to hold the apartment for my son until the apt. management sent him the lease to sign - he and his girlfriend signed the lease when they received it and moved into the property. They lived there for 6 months and moved out. Did the lease agreement I signed before them become null and void after they signed theirs and moved into the apartment? 2 separate leases were signed.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM

3,362 posts, read 10,487,910 times
It sounds like the management sent your son a new lease to sign with his and her name on it. That would end your lease for the same people at the same time. If you did not pay any rent on the lease, then it is a no foul. If you were both paying rent, then the management company is in big trouble.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Default Oh oh...

Unfortunately neither one had a bank account and I paid the rent with my checks. Does that change things?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 PM

3,362 posts, read 10,487,910 times
There is only a problem is if both parties paid rent for the same apartment at the same time on different leases. That is double dipping for the LL. Illegal. If only one person paid rent, no harm,no foul.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM

49 posts, read 95,898 times
Cam,

To directly answer your question. No, there cannot be two leases, at least not the way you have described them. That said, I would need to see the terms of the lease that you signed to see if it was in effect when the Landlord signed the lease with your son.

If it was in effect, that makes the lease your son sign void, as the Landlord did not have the right to lease the space to someone else (unless specifically allowed for in your lease).

My guess would be that you signed a temporary lease that included language wherein it was null and void once a long term lease was signed.

You may want to consult an attorney, but if you attach the lease you signed we can get you a better answer.

Shane,

Cam's lease would only end if the language of the lease called for it to terminate upon execution of a long term lease.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM

I appreciate your feedback. I will need to get a copy of the lease agreement that I signed as I was never given one. All I know is that it is an exact copy of the one my son/girlfriend signed and they moved into the apartment and lived there for 6 months. Had the utility bill in her name; any and all complex writings were sent to them. They moved out before the lease was up and the girlfriend signed a "termination fee agreement" in which she was to pay the amount of $1300 over a period of time. But I got a letter in the mail, addressed to me, stating that $2400 was due and owing. Mmmm, small claims here I come?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:42 PM

The LL/complex knew that I would not be the tenant and that I was a home owner in the vacinity. The complex Manager lead me to believe that I was signing a "mock" lease in order to hold the apartment for them until their signed lease was received from the apartment. She stated that if their application/background check did not go through that I would not be liable for the "lease" that I signed. I am hoping that since they are the ones that signed the lease afterwards and actually moved into the building that mine will be null and void and I will not have to pay whatever money they say is due and owing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting