U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,343,681 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, my landlord sent a worker over to deal with a problem we've been having. He was completely unannounced. The worker told me that he wasn't given any contact information for me to coordinate entrance. The LL lives around the corner and has been clear that he can always let someone in if we're not home, but he hasnt been very respectful of our privacy. Yesterday, my husband has just gotten home from surgery and my son was napping when the man got here. It was a really bad time. When I told him it wasn't a good time he said he'd come back next month!! Our bathroom is unusable so this isnt really an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:26 PM

2,785 posts, read 3,785,283 times
Usually 24hrs minimum is required. He's breaking the law and sounds like he is a sleezeball to boot.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM

8,673 posts, read 19,338,666 times
It depends on your lease, but in an emergency situation, they do not have to give notice.

It was inconvenient, but you probably should have let him do the job.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:21 PM

We told him on Monday that someone needed to come work on the bathroom. He didn't get anyone there until Thursday. So, even though I thought it was an emergency, he obviously didn't. Given the time frame there was plenty of time to schedule a visit. Anytime before Thursday would have been fine.

I am specifically asking for laws pertaining to the state of NC.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 PM

214 posts, read 654,290 times
I would research landlord/tenant rights in NC

Here's a place to start:

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/...ordHandout.pdf

Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM

15,704 posts, read 21,126,214 times
Batroom isn't an emergency unless there is flooding or you only have one bathroom and the toilet isn't working. We usally have someone out within 24 hours.

The other day a lady called with all kind of complains and if we could fix it...We had someone within 24 hrs checking on everything and 2 weeks later we still have nothing fixed because everytime the handymand tried to schedule an appointment she canceled so now we told her...call us when you have time and it is mor then a week ago and she hasn't called...perhaps she is complaining elsewhere...but she isn't helping her situation by not willing to help out with oepning her home to get it fixed...this is another side of property management...

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,407,707 times
Actually, since you called in a problem, it could be implied that you knew someone was going to come in and fix it. It is not like the LL chose to show up out of the blue, you basically invited the repair person in by calling the LL.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,188,730 times
First, check your lease. Does it say anything about when people can enter. Second, be happy someone came to fix the problem you comlained about.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 AM

3,362 posts, read 10,460,211 times
The repairman did not enter your property without an invitation. You notified the LL of a problem that needed to be addressed. The worker showed up, apparently when you were home to make repairs or at least assess the situation for repairs. That is not entering your property. That is a case of showing up to make repairs without an appointment. You need to be glad someone showed up to make the repairs. Becasue it was not a good time for you is the problem.
As previously stated, be glad the LL addressed the problem in a timely manner.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Actually, since you called in a problem, it could be implied that you knew someone was going to come in and fix it. It is not like the LL chose to show up out of the blue, you basically invited the repair person in by calling the LL.
Yes, but they came 4 days later! I just don't understand this way of thinking. This is the first time I've ever rented a house. I've been a homeowner until this point in my life. I've never had a problem with a company coming to fix anything or scheduling at least a range of time that they may be there. (i.e. between 8am and 12 noon) on such and such a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting