Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,525 times

Advertisements

It would be my luck that we found a house to rent, and submitted the application on a Friday of a holiday weekend.

So, soothe my nerves please, or keep me from getting my hopes up.

Hubby and I have 'okay' credit. A few late payments on credit cards (no missed payments, just late). Pretty high balances.

But... no criminal or legal issues. Solid rental history, him for about 3-4 years, me for over 15, but my long-term landlord from years ago will most likely refuse to even fill out a request (slumlords, totally). I'm moving to an area with no job lined up yet, but hubby will have a job paying weekly, about 92% of the monthly rent. He works for the federal government, we're a family of four, and looking for a long term lease, which is apparently attractive to the landlord.

Will the less than stellar credit cost us the rental? Would you rent to us with the above info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 06:59 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
Will the less than stellar credit cost us the rental? Would you rent to us with the above info?
Depends on the home. We have 2 standard rental homes that we understand attract folks like you that might have a few credit issues and we take the risk.

But I also have my sons very nice home we lease while he's out of state. I'm much more selective in who I rent that home too, you would be marginal for this home.

So for the average rental home you are probably good to go.

Best of luck.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:31 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Most landlords are seeing bad credit on a regular basis in this economy. You mentioned that you have "okay" credit so it should not be a problem.

What most landlords look for are problem tenants (evictions, late payers, people who consistently miss their obligations). Those are the ones that get rejected.

Do not be shy about discussing your situation with the landlord/property manager. They hate when you hide problems.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
For most of our rentals you would qualify. For the high end rentals you won't...but that is probably not what you are looking for, so the answer would be "yes'.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Hey, come to Dallas and I will rent to you one of my places! I think you will be fine......

Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Depends on the home. We have 2 standard rental homes that we understand attract folks like you that might have a few credit issues and we take the risk.

But I also have my sons very nice home we lease while he's out of state. I'm much more selective in who I rent that home too, you would be marginal for this home.

So for the average rental home you are probably good to go.

Best of luck.
Hello, I'm currently in search of a new apartment. I have two lined up to see tomorrow morning. One is a Co-Op and the other is just a regular apartment in apt. complex. They're both for $1000/mnth. I'm 21 years old, work full-time as a Certified Dental Asst. I make a little less than $20,000/yr. My boyfriend makes a little less than $22,000/yr, his credit score is 602 I believe, no outstanding debt, pays his bills on time. My credit score is 692(considered med. risk), I have $3,000 outstanding debt, only as of this year due to car problems, but I make all my payments on time. I don't want to waste my time or money filling out applications to these places if my current debt will disapprove me. Do you think we would be approved? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting