Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 11,634 times

Advertisements

Hello, we currently live in the state of Illinois and have no lease, meaning it's a month-to-month contract. According to the city we live in, it's listed as a single-family dwelling, and my city doesn't recognize that there's an apartment upstairs. I live in Cook County if that helps.

When we moved in the landlord agreed to pay half of the utilities since the house we live in, has an upstairs, and someone lives there. This is not in writing, just an oral agreement.

What our problem is, is that for the past 6 months, we have been responsible for paying the entire utilities, and he has not paid half of anything since March 2010. We pay gas, electricity, water, and cable. The only thing we haven't been responsible for the whole amount is the water bill, as it's in our landlord's name.

Now the man upstairs pays $680 a month in rent, and I guess his agreement with our landlord is that his utilities are included in his rent...plus cable TV. OUR cable TV. The cable company came over since we were having problems with our lines (cable, phone, and internet all in one bundle) and the cable guy told me that the upstairs house is wired using our lines and account. Not only did we not agree to this, but our landlord owns a body shop next door, and HE had a cable line running to his shop!! My landlord brought it upon himself to enter our basement without my knowledge to run cable lines. After I told Comcast to cut it, my landlord screamed at me since everyone else who was stealing our cable, and not paying for it, got cut off.

The same day the Comcast guy left, my neighbor was outside re-rigging the lines since he was upset his cable got cut. He took it upon himself to do it, so I called the police

But what I'm really upset about is that we're pretty behind on rent, and our utilities because of my landlords inability to pay the other half that he agreed orally to pay. He harasses us every Saturday morning for rent money, which 9 out of 10 times we have for him, but we now have a deferred payment on our electric bill, which accumulated to over $1000. Only because our landlord demanded we pay him every week. We are roughly behind on our rent the same amount since some weeks we didn't give him anything to pay these outrageous bills.

When we first moved in, it was totally "do-able" that we could afford our $750/month rent plus only half of the utilities. Our average electric bill in the summer was $300 and gas in the winter is about $300 as well...since we have a boiler. Gas in summer has been about $20-30, and electric in the winter has been about $100 or so.

Not to mention that at the beginning of March, the blower for our boiler was broken and we were out of heat...a total for about a week and a half. He fixed it, but then broke and had to order a new part, which took a week for him to get and install. He didn't offer to get us any space heaters or to relocate us temporarily. And on top of that, he didn't even inform of the neighbor upstairs that the heat was broken, and he was using the oven constantly to heat his apartment. (Fire risk?) We had to borrow space heaters for the last few days that we were out of heat. But prior to that, we were cuddled up under lots of blankets with our dog, who was also freezing cold. It was actually warmer in our fridge, than it was everywhere else in the house.

Our landlord's inability to work with us with our utilities has us increasing debt day by day. And he still demands that we pay him every week (getting sick and tired and stressing us both out over it) and we just can't pay these utilities that the man upstairs has basically been getting for free. Plus, stealing our cable on top of it.

Thank you to anyone who has read this Your response as to what we can do is GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by jayosworld; 09-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:51 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Either move or cancel your cable.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Either move or cancel your cable.
Canceling the cable wouldn't be a viable option...since our internet and phone are all on the same package.

And if we were to move out, would we still have to pay the rent that we owe him?

Old 09-11-2010, 02:51 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
You do not have anything in writing. No lease, not a leg to stand on. If it is all verbal agreements on the rents, utilities etc., then it becomes a he said/she said. The best you can do is move out. If the LL owes you half the utilities, put that in writing to the LL. Send it certified return receipt. The LL can charge that you owe back rent and unpaid utilities. You are the one in a bad spot. The best thing you can do is move.
Also, when you do move, get a lease..in writing in the new place. Even if it means moving into a smaller cheaper apartment. All arrangements and agreements are to be in writing. NEVER go with a verbal agreement. You have alrady experienced what happens with people's word.
Move out and then sort out the details of your current situation before it gets worse.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You do not have anything in writing. No lease, not a leg to stand on. If it is all verbal agreements on the rents, utilities etc., then it becomes a he said/she said. The best you can do is move out. If the LL owes you half the utilities, put that in writing to the LL. Send it certified return receipt. The LL can charge that you owe back rent and unpaid utilities. You are the one in a bad spot. The best thing you can do is move.
Also, when you do move, get a lease..in writing in the new place. Even if it means moving into a smaller cheaper apartment. All arrangements and agreements are to be in writing. NEVER go with a verbal agreement. You have alrady experienced what happens with people's word.
Move out and then sort out the details of your current situation before it gets worse.
The utilities other than the water are in our name(s).

But since we have nothing in writing...does that also mean my LL doesn't have a leg to stand on either?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 PM

I may add that we had talked about moving out, giving our LL the 30 days notice as required. But I don't think my LL has leg to stand on since he's operating this piece of property illegally (as I found out about a month ago). But thanks for your advice Shane It was definitely appreciated.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:53 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Are you packing yet? Move out and get a decent home with some accompanying paperwork.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Move out. Let your LL go to court and try and collect rent from an illegal apartment. Get all your utilities shut off ASAP.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
You definitely need to move out immediately and cancel all the utilities including the cable. I don't believe your landlord will want to go to court especially if you can document (take pictures) of the cable stealing, etc.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
You definitely need to move out immediately and cancel all the utilities including the cable. I don't believe your landlord will want to go to court especially if you can document (take pictures) of the cable stealing, etc.
I can definitely take pictures of the cable stealing...since the line going to his shop, from his basement, is still there...it's cut now....but still visible as to where it is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting