Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
If there are other apartments in your dwelling you're getting all their waste water when it backs up too. That includes their toilet water when they flush, bath, kitchen waste water etc. It's a health hazard that should be cleaned up properly by professionals. Anything that's contaminated with waste water should be thrown out and the rest of the area should be sanitized.. and your landlord is responsible for all of it. My homeowners insurance covers cleanup, his may cover it too.

Sewer backups can happen from a clog inside the dwelling and/or they can also back up from the city sewer lines. Either way, it's not your responsibility. It's the landlords.
The only way you might be held responsible for any sewage backup is if you agreed to pay for backups in your lease. But that would be silly unless you're renting the entire dwelling and agreed to it in writing. I don't even think you could be held liable even if you signed an agreement since it was a preexisting condition anyway.

I'm speaking from experience as an owner of a plumbing business, and as a landlord. Sewer backups are nothing to mess with. Raw sewage carries all sorts of pathogens that can cause anything from skin conditions, breathing conditions to serious illness.. It's filled with bacteria, viruses, chemical toxins, parasites etc. If contaminated items are not properly cleaned and sanitized those microscopic particles from the dried sewage are still flying about the house and landing on anything in there.

You're a plumber *and* a landlord, and you don't hold think a tenant could *possibly* be responsible for a clogged sewer line?

The poster above lived in the home for nearly three years - you think the landlord stuffed something down the drain?

Other than a broken line, or tree roots, the tenant is responsible. That's pretty common lease language, I'd expect a landlord to know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
You're a plumber *and* a landlord, and you don't hold think a tenant could *possibly* be responsible for a clogged sewer line?

The poster above lived in the home for nearly three years - you think the landlord stuffed something down the drain?

Other than a broken line, or tree roots, the tenant is responsible. That's pretty common lease language, I'd expect a landlord to know that.
First of all, what's with the freakin' attitude?

secondly, you can not hold a tenant responsible for a known issue that was never corrected by the landlord in the first place. The plumbing is supposed to be in good working order. Since the landlord was warned that this would happen, he should have taken steps to insure that it didn't happen again.

You don't need to 'stuff' anything down a drain. Where does it say she 'stuffed' something down the drain? Mains get clogged with spagetti sized roots and grease all the time. The bottom line is the landlord should have dealt with this issue when the original plumber told him to.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
First of all, what's with the freakin' attitude?

secondly, you can not hold a tenant responsible for a known issue that was never corrected by the landlord in the first place. The plumbing is supposed to be in good working order. Since the landlord was warned that this would happen, he should have taken steps to insure that it didn't happen again.

You don't need to 'stuff' anything down a drain. Where does it say she 'stuffed' something down the drain? Mains get clogged with spagetti sized roots and grease all the time. The bottom line is the landlord should have dealt with this issue when the original plumber told him to.

Where does that post describe a "known issue" that the landlord would be responsible for?

Does it say "roots", "crushed line" or "improper slope" anywhere? Your post indicated that the tenant can't possibly be at fault, and I beg to differ -

your words...

" Sewer backups can happen from a clog inside the dwelling and/or they can also back up from the city sewer lines. Either way, it's not your responsibility. It's the landlords."

Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I am very fair when it comes to plumbing issues... the home I live in is much older then the rentals I managed and never had a clogged line... same thing goes for the home where I was raised.

Unless there is a root problem or collapsed/shifted pipe... the cause I find is something in the pipe that doesn't belong there.

Over the years, I have had lines clogged solid with grease, toys, feminine hygiene products, diapers, q-tips, etc cause floods and major blockage...

I take care of my responsibility and expect those I that live there to take care of theirs... my rental agreements are quite clear on this and the evidence speaks for itself.

Most recently, I had a tenant of nearly two years become very upset and demanding she get a new toilet... she said it never worked right and was not going to take it anymore... none of the previous tenants ever experienced problems...

I went over on a Saturday night and pulled the toilet finding what could be best described as a large plastic Easter egg at the floor outlet.

The tenant emphatically denied any responsibility till her 4 year old daughter came in the room and said... see Mommy, I told you my egg got flushed

I was prepared to let it go till the attitude started and was unrelenting... sent her a bill for weekend emergency plumbing to clear tenant caused blockage for $65 along with a picture of the removed item

My great rooter guy, old mike the German retired... he would clearly list his findings on invoices... roots, toys, grease, etc... more than a few times he was told by a resident that they were going to call his boss and get him fired... well, old Mike was a Owner-Operator and a one man company... he would just chuckle in his German accent and say lady... you are talking to the owner.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Where does that post describe a "known issue" that the landlord would be responsible for?

Does it say "roots", "crushed line" or "improper slope" anywhere? Your post indicated that the tenant can't possibly be at fault, and I beg to differ -

your words...

" Sewer backups can happen from a clog inside the dwelling and/or they can also back up from the city sewer lines. Either way, it's not your responsibility. It's the landlords."

Quote:
Diana Indelicato OK, This problem has been going for quite a while the sub pump was broke. The sewage was backed up into the PG&E box. When the toilet blew sewage came shooting out everywhere even the bathtub filled up. The Plumber had told me he warned the Landlord this would happen, the Landlord refused to fix the problem and would worry about that when it happens.
thats what I was referring to. It happened before and the LL refused to fix it.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
thats what I was referring to. It happened before and the LL refused to fix it.
Could be a very real problem and the Landlord was put on notice... especially, if the Plumber is willing to put it in writing...

It could also be a tradesman looking to drum up additional business... I don't know.

Did the plumber elaborate what exactly was needed to fix the problem and at what cost?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Could be a very real problem and the Landlord was put on notice... especially, if the Plumber is willing to put it in writing...

It could also be a tradesman looking to drum up additional business... I don't know.

Did the plumber elaborate what exactly was needed to fix the problem and at what cost?
Judging from the OP's first post, they have no idea what the problem was/is.

Quote:
This problem has been going for quite a while the sub pump was broke
A "sump pump" is used in basement areas to pump groundwater from around a building's foundation. It has absolutely nothing what-so-ever in common with a sewer line. If your sump-pump fails, your house won't fill with sewage.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
Quote:
Judging from the OP's first post, they have no idea what the problem was/is.

A "sump pump" is used in basement areas to pump groundwater from around a building's foundation. It has absolutely nothing what-so-ever in common with a sewer line. If your sump-pump fails, your house won't fill with sewage.
zipp if it fails it will fill up because it wont pump the sewage water out and if the ll hooked the pump up to the sewer line(illeagle in many places) it can clog the main

Old 08-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
zipp if it fails it will fill up because it wont pump the sewage water out and if the ll hooked the pump up to the sewer line(illeagle in many places) it can clog the main
Sump pumps don't pump sewage, they pump clear groundwater. "sewage" wouldn't ever be routed to a sump pump. These are completely separate systems.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
Quote:
Sump pumps don't pump sewage, they pump clear groundwater. "sewage" wouldn't ever be routed to a sump pump. These are completely separate systems.
If the line is backing up the pump would pump the iquid part out from the basement and if it is the kind called a trash pump it would also pump out the crap.
and if afool hooks pump the the main to handle floods it can cause a cloag in the line. i did not say it was used to pump sewage. but you do get people who hook the basment sump to the seawer line. to pump out the basement.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-13-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting