Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,608,179 times

Advertisements

When I rented the condo I am living in about a month ago I paid a pet deposit for my cat. Even though she only knows about my cat In the lease it says pets allowed: "1 dog and/or 1 cat". Since it legally says 1 dog and 1 cat does that mean I can have a dog too or should I still ask for permission. Just curious since I may be aquireing a dog soon.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Yes, it means you can have one of each but I would still ask permission as it's likely you'll be required to pay an additional pet deposit.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,302,636 times
I wouldn't mess around with it. The fact that you're asking if you should ask permission suggests to me that you know you should. Don't give your landlord a reason to evict you. (Plus, you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the homeowners association in the complex has placed on pets. Many condo associations will limit the size of dogs or breeds of dogs. What if you went out and got a dog on the sly, and it turned out to be in violation of the HOA, and all your neighbors saw the dog when you were out walking it and reported the violation to the HOA? And you can't HIDE a dog the way you could possibly hide a new cat. Dogs have to be walked.)

Just ask. Be upfront and honest. It's the smarter move. And if she says no, then postpone getting a dog until you can find a different place to live.

(And ditto the other poster on the issue of the pet deposits, which are usually per animal.)

Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,608,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I wouldn't mess around with it. The fact that you're asking if you should ask permission suggests to me that you know you should. Don't give your landlord a reason to evict you. (Plus, you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the homeowners association in the complex has placed on pets. Many condo associations will limit the size of dogs or breeds of dogs. What if you went out and got a dog on the sly, and it turned out to be in violation of the HOA, and all your neighbors saw the dog when you were out walking it and reported the violation to the HOA? And you can't HIDE a dog the way you could possibly hide a new cat. Dogs have to be walked.)

Just ask. Be upfront and honest. It's the smarter move. And if she says no, then postpone getting a dog until you can find a different place to live.

(And ditto the other poster on the issue of the pet deposits, which are usually per animal.)
No if I knew the answer I wouldnt have asked. I figured my LL may wonder why I was asking if I could have a dog since it technically says I can in my lease agreement. I have the HOA rules and size/breed restrictions but the kind of dog I am enheriting will be fine. Since you all seem to lean to the idea of asking my LL I will go ahead and do so. Thanks

Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,939,066 times
Quote:
In the lease it says pets allowed: "1 dog and/or 1 cat".

That and/or business tells you that you will need to ask and that you will likely have to pay a second pet fee..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting