Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just nod politely and, when they're done with all their "New Rules" tell them you'll think about it and get back to them.
Or just say "no" and get up and walk out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:26 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
Gee, maybe you should have a tape recorder -- put it in front of them prior to the meeting and say, "I seem to have been confused about your rules previously, and so I'd just like to make sure I understand everything you say here today correctly."

Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Gee, maybe you should have a tape recorder -- put it in front of them prior to the meeting and say, "I seem to have been confused about your rules previously, and so I'd just like to make sure I understand everything you say here today correctly."
Or show up with a lawyer. That would be awesome to watch.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Awaiting the next installment and hoping the OP did the right thing!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 PM

13 posts, read 17,365 times
@STT That's exactly what I did. They didn't say anything about raising my rent and kept asking me about my car. I told them that my car was still at the mechanics (which it is), and that I'd get back to them as soon as I consult with my parents this weekend.

So, basically, I'm not sure what to do next. They already took my checks, too. $590.25 for prorated and $630 for October rent.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 PM

Oh, and it looks like I can't get out of my contract until August 2011. I will also have to find someone to fill in my spot for the summer or pay myself. Our landlord is a lawyer, btw. I'm guessing he'll most likely take legal actions against me if I try to sneak away.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 PM

The demand about the car is, as you must know, totally outrageous. Kudos to you for staying quiet, though. Don't feel intimidated by the LL being a lawyer. As much as I respect those who've passed the bar and practice law, it doesn't mean that they know everything and also doesn't mean that they're not approachable.

You''re paid up through the end of October so you have ample time to find another room-mate to take your place.

My suggestion is that you contact the LL in writing and advise him that, even though you're a joint lessee, the supplementary and extravagant demands of your fellow leaseholders where "house rules" and use of your personal vehicle are concerned have made it impossible for you to remain on the premises. Advise him that you have in all good faith paid rent through October. Advise him that you'll place ads to seek a replacement tenant but ask him to take you off the lease as of October 31st. Not likely he'll take legal action against you.

Your room-mates seem to have a surreal obsession about your car and their demands are way out there. Simply tell them NO! The basic rule where a personal vehicle is concerned is not to allow anyone other than the designated driver(s) on the insurance policy access to the vehicle. Seems they don't have cars and are looking for the patsy roomie who has one and will fall for that nonsense. Argh!

I hope this helps and that you can get out of this very bizarre situation as soon as possible. You need to be concentrating on studying and not this nonsense.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The demand about the car is, as you must know, totally outrageous. Kudos to you for staying quiet, though. Don't feel intimidated by the LL being a lawyer. As much as I respect those who've passed the bar and practice law, it doesn't mean that they know everything and also doesn't mean that they're not approachable.

You''re paid up through the end of October so you have ample time to find another room-mate to take your place.

My suggestion is that you contact the LL in writing and advise him that, even though you're a joint lessee, the supplementary and extravagant demands of your fellow leaseholders where "house rules" and use of your personal vehicle are concerned have made it impossible for you to remain on the premises. Advise him that you have in all good faith paid rent through October. Advise him that you'll place ads to seek a replacement tenant but ask him to take you off the lease as of October 31st. Not likely he'll take legal action against you.

Your room-mates seem to have a surreal obsession about your car and their demands are way out there. Simply tell them NO! The basic rule where a personal vehicle is concerned is not to allow anyone other than the designated driver(s) on the insurance policy access to the vehicle. Seems they don't have cars and are looking for the patsy roomie who has one and will fall for that nonsense. Argh!

I hope this helps and that you can get out of this very bizarre situation as soon as possible. You need to be concentrating on studying and not this nonsense.
good advice. I cant help but think what obnoxious brats these girls are!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM

So what happened?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 PM

There's another meeting tonight. One girl wants my room and is willing to pay $650 for it. I have a feeling they'll tell me that whoever pays most gets to have the single room.

Sorry for the late update, I've been busy with school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting