Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times

Advertisements

She may not be able to read English if she is from another country.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
... our friend here will continue to push the issue like everything else she posts.
Nothing much to add except to repeat this comment which sums it up. Yawn.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,537,392 times
ValueAddedWorker, I'm really glad you're not my neighbor. You sound creepy. Please just leave that woman alone. Put a card in her mailbox if you must, but do NOT just knock on her door.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
The majority of responders to this thread automatically call a guy who wants to say hi to a single woman living above him a stalker.
Where did you get that from? Indeed there seems to be some confusion about what sex you are and several have responded on the assumption that you're a woman. You've been called a stalker because regardless of your gender you sound like one although I'm more inclined to just put you in the category of someone who's just extremely and overbearingly nosy.

Quote:
I think the problem is that these same responders are too influenced by the media about crime and stuff to realize there are actually good people in this world who just want to be nice to their neighbors now and then.
Nonsense. You're so darned thick-skinned and insensitive that you don't understand that some people enjoy their privacy and don't get all excited about someone new moving into the 'hood. They take their time, observe and mind their own business until they decide whether or not you're OK and there's nothing wrong with that. If you crave attention so much why you don't start up a "Welcome Wagon" and when somebody new moves in you can run over to their place with cookies and coupons and maybe eventually change the whole tone of your neighborhood. Weekly coffee klatches, group hugs on Sundays - the possibilities are endless.

Your agenda in any case isn't about being friendly to your neighbor, it's about getting cosy with her and then laying it on to her about how she sounds like an elephant above you and that you want her to stop walking around at night.

And, by the way, you might heed poster jasper's comment. She may speak some English but it's more than likely she doesn't read it too well...

Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
You're putting words in my mouth Kimmy. Show me where I wrote that I told the LL about the neighbor's walking practices.
Quote:
All I know from the landlord is she's "quiet".
So, if you haven’t reported the noise to the Landlord, what on earth was this discussion you refer to about?

Quote:
Yeah, tell me about it. The majority of responders to this thread automatically call a guy who wants to say hi to a single woman living above him a stalker. I think the problem is that these same responders are too influenced by the media about crime and stuff to realize there are actually good people in this world who just want to be nice to their neighbors now and then.

Quote:
Y Besides the fact we haven't talked, she does tend to stomp around late at night (12-3am), so one woman suggested to befriend her, even bring her baked goods to get on her good side and then later on ask her to be conscious of the creaking/thin floors. Besides, I'd like the first contact with my neighbors to be a positive one. You can catch more flies with honey, as the saying goes.
And here we find the true motive for your desire to “make friends” with her, and it’s a pretty self-centered one. Certainly not about just wanting to be nice to your neighbors now and then, clearly.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Now kimmy you should relax & chill. The op was just asking a simple question. Hes obviousely a people person.

Well, maybe you and the OP can move in together....and I don't have to relax or chill......the op is being an ass...and obviously...so are you.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
Quote:
OK enough bickering ladies and gents. Now that I've collected opinions about whether or not it's a good idea to get to know your apartment neighbors, it's time to take some action. I'm planning to either drop a card with a nice message in the mailbox or mail it to her. I know her name (the LL told me) and another neighbor confirmed it. I can address it directly to her and say something like,
Hi Luisa,
My name is VAW and I'm you're new neighbor. I met your son and he seems like a great guy, you must be so proud. While I've met a few other neighbors, unfortunately you and I haven't crossed paths yet. I'd like to get to know my neighbors and practice my Spanish which I understand you're fluent in. Would you like to practice your English with me? The next time you're outside and you want to say hi, feel free to ring the bell or call me at .......
All the best and say hi to Enrique (her son) for me.

Y creo que su respuesta será ... mira aquí caer *******, muerto y déjame en paz.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,061,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And here we find the true motive for your desire to “make friends” with her, and it’s a pretty self-centered one. Certainly not about just wanting to be nice to your neighbors now and then, clearly.
I dunno about everyone else but I would not want someone else's first impression be that of telling them about their noise. I'd rather have someone introduce themselves first and once we establish a acquaintance, then I'd find it easier to bring up a issue.
It's just easier to go to the landlord though and voice my concern there.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Skeet09, that you agree with VAW is just fine and you're entitled to your opinion but, if you took the time to review VAW's posts and threads (which isn't difficult to do and is right there at the click of the mouse) you might understand why so many posters are in disagreement with VAW's attitude where rentals and employment are concerned.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
Quote:
Yes.

In case you're still confused, the goal was to get to know her. She already came out on the balcony in her nightgown at in the morning but turned back around when she saw me in the yard. Who knows, maybe she wanted to flash me but had second thoughts.
Who knows, maybe the woman is feeling smothered by your constant trying to get at her, through her son, her boyfriend, and other neighbors. And she also may have a sense of propriety - it truly isn't proper to be seen in your nightgown. Why cannot you leave her alone? She has made it abundantly clear, that being left alone is what she wants.

Quote:
OK enough bickering ladies and gents. Now that I've collected opinions about whether or not it's a good idea to get to know your apartment neighbors, it's time to take some action. I'm planning to either drop a card with a nice message in the mailbox or mail it to her. I know her name (the LL told me) and another neighbor confirmed it. I can address it directly to her and say something like,
Hi Luisa,
My name is VAW and I'm you're new neighbor. I met your son and he seems like a great guy, you must be so proud. While I've met a few other neighbors, unfortunately you and I haven't crossed paths yet. I'd like to get to know my neighbors and practice my Spanish which I understand you're fluent in. Would you like to practice your English with me? The next time you're outside and you want to say hi, feel free to ring the bell or call me at .......
All the best and say hi to Enrique (her son) for me.
Oh good, confirm in writing that you've been stalking her. She obviously wants to be left alone. It's always about you - YOU would like to get to know your neighbors. She is one who obviously does not. As the LL told you, she is quiet - which is another way of saying "leave her the HE*L alone."

If you were the new neighbor doing all this to me, I'd take that note to the LL AND the police and get a restraining order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting