U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:48 PM

11,289 posts, read 14,783,805 times
Default Question about mothballs and roach killing

A few weeks ago someone here said mothballs can help kill roaches. I don't have experience with mothballs so I want to know what the best way to apply them would be

there are a lot of warnings on the box and the directions are confusing since they mention putting them in enclosed bins of clothes to kill moths

would i place them in the closed bags inside the back of the fridge and inside the cabinet under the sink?

I am assuming to never open the bags the mothballs are are sitting in since it could be hazardous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:00 PM

158 posts, read 285,190 times
I found this link about repelling roaches, and it does mention mothballs.

Moth Balls - Roaches, like moths, don't like the smell of moth balls. One common remedy is to drop a couple moth balls behind the stove to keep the bugs from hanging out back there. One or two in the cabinet under the sink can be helpful as well. Moth balls are not good for humans, so don't place them near food or food prep areas.

One thing that helps is to keep a spray bottle handy. Fill it with a few drops of Palmolive dishwashing detergent and water. Spray directly onto any roaches that you see. Trust me, the vermin don't like that spray at all. They curl up and die.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,908,519 times
Moth balls may make roaches relocate, but I do not think they will kill them.

There are effective baits, and boric acid will work.

See here for an interesting saga: How To Get Rid Of Roaches and Kill A Cockroach Infestation

Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 PM

2,637 posts, read 5,812,675 times
Boric acid powder is the most effective. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN everything, put all food in fridge or airtight containers, wipe out all your cabinets, and put the powder liberally, but avoid places that pets or children can get to.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:35 AM

21,282 posts, read 24,396,794 times
Earlier this month there was a similar thread posted and this was my response which might be helpful to you:

"Here in the Caribbean we have roaches everywhere and the best product I've found (and I've tried sprays, bombs, powders, etc.) are Evergreen Roach Tablets manufactured by Fervil Company Inc, PO Box 235, Saint Just, PR 00978. They are very inexpensive and very effective, small tabs that you simply tuck into crevices, behind stoves, refrigerators, sinks, etc. If you can't find them at your local outlets you can probably find them online or even contact the manufacturer directly. Hope this helps."

The main ingredient is boric acid but they're much easier to use than the powder which can get all over the place - and the roaches cart them off and taken them back to the nests.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM

Default do you have a phone #

to Fervil as i could not locate them online. I can write to them to ask about products and procing

would i take the mothballs out of the bag? from what i see they can be toxic if handled not sure what to do with them

Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM

6,948 posts, read 15,934,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
would i take the mothballs out of the bag? from what i see they can be toxic if handled not sure what to do with them
How would the roaches be affected by the moth balls if you didn't take them out of the bag?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Bear in mind that mothballs will not kill roaches, only repel them.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:56 PM

Default when i bought the cheap mothballs

at a 99 cent store i didn't realize all the warnings about inhalation etc on the box since i never bought them before

when i opened the box all of a sudden i noticed all the warnings that talk of respiratory tract irritation and how many should be used to store clothes (I know i am using them to repel roaches not to store clothes)

how many of these mothballs can be put behind the stove, in cabinets and behind the fridge?. i wanted to put down a lot but i don't know how much is too much to cause irritation, or if they will cause any respiratory irritation at all, maybe that is just the manufacturer covering themselves

Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
to Fervil as i could not locate them online. I can write to them to ask about products and procing
No, I don't have a 'phone number but you can always call directory assistance in PR - or check Home Depot as the HD here carries them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting