Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryl strazdas View Post
Can a tenant in Florida who gets housing assistance break her lease because we put it up for sale????
Not without either paying an early termination fee if such is a lease clause or relying on state laws which rely on landlord mitigation of losses by re-renting as soon as possible. The tenant is protected under Federal laws because, basically, any existing lease legally transfers to a new owner. So given the limited amount of information given, the answer is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufrankjun View Post
just curious can landlord do this, and if the landlord sold the condo unit, what tenant can do?

Tenant can do nothing about it. The lease agreement has to be honored by the new owner. Yes the LL can sell property with tenant occupying. Apartment buildings get sold like that all the time

Old 02-22-2014, 08:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Tenant can do nothing about it. The lease agreement has to be honored by the new owner. Yes the LL can sell property with tenant occupying. Apartment buildings get sold like that all the time
And that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

This is the OLD question....there was a new one posted.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not without either paying an early termination fee if such is a lease clause or relying on state laws which rely on landlord mitigation of losses by re-renting as soon as possible. The tenant is protected under Federal laws because, basically, any existing lease legally transfers to a new owner. So given the limited amount of information given, the answer is no.

you can't force a tenant to stay in a unit if they want to leave...so yes, they can break their lease 'without reason'. You do not need a reason to break your lease...you do however have to pay for the consequences for doing so.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condos2castles View Post
Are current tenant and new owner of condo in Los Angeles allowed to have communication prior to escrow closing?

Really up to the LL. When I had a apartment all of the sudden I has to make my check out to a new company. That's how I found out about the new owners. There was no communication.

If I were to sell I would communicate with tenants.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Can a tenant in Florida who gets housing assistance break her lease because we put it up for sale????
Breaking the lease is breaking the lease. She still has obligations to honor. Your selling the property makes no difference. She can't just walk away from it. The new buyer will be obligated to honor her lease, nothing really changes for the tenant.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Standard Housing contract is only fixed for the first 12 months... after that, a tenant need only give proper notice.

In my area, it is more complicated for landlords because landlords must show cause...

Old 03-16-2016, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,525 times
I'm living in south beach Florida ,rent a apartment from the condominim association this men's the association owners the property ,s the entire building was sold and I still have 2 years in my contract
Legally I have to living?

Old 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,525 times
I'm living south beach Florida , rent a apartment belong to the condominium association with a 3 years contract after my first year living there a company start buying the building a do not want brake the lease a want stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting