Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times

Advertisements

How do you negotiate a rent price for a dwelling I am interested in?

Also it seems like whenever I move out, the property tries to keep me by offering some kind of promo but by the time they offer that deal. I am already ready to move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Make sure the new LL wants you, then begin the bargaining. Also, if your thinking of moving, tell your present LL and see if you can get a promo offer ahead of time. If your that good, the LL will be glad to negotiate before it's too late. If you find a place with a better deal, tell your prsent LL and try for the same deal. Be ready to split the differance. The LL may not match an offer for another place, but maybe at least bargain a bit. You need to decide the best deal for you.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Lets see now....I'm a regular customer at Walmart and spend a hefty sum over a yrs time in shopping there.

Next time I go and find an item marked $195.99...think I'll offer a price of $174.95...after all I'm a good cash paying customer and they should give me a better price.

LL's have mortgages to pay along with property taxes etc...give me a break!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I'm chuckling as I sort of agree with both the previous posters. When I was renting out residential property I would have been taken aback by a potential lessee who tried to whittle me down as the rent was always extremely fair and the inclusion of utilities was a major plus. When I dealt with commercial property the standard was set where market value was concerned but was also very fair but there were certain negotiable issues nonetheless.

I confess to being a little confused by the OP's post. A little more info would help.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I don't encounter much in the way of negotiations with a prospective renter price wise...

Sometimes, if a Landlord really wants you... you can negotiate the rent start date or amenities... like appliances...

A tenant that is too aggressive while apartment hunting can be a sign of things to come and a real turn-off to prospective Landlords...

If the unit is too expensive... then why even bother looking?

On the other hand... I see nothing wrong with asking for consideration at lease renewal... both the Landlord and Tenant will have established a track record which can effect the renewal decision.

I've written more than a few letters for co-workers faced with steep rent increases... in all but one case with new ownership and management... accommodations were granted.

One had lived in her apartment for 13 years and never had a single issue... a new management company sent out steep increases as leases came up for renewal... she wrote the owner, with whom she dealt with at move-in simply saying she would like to stay under her present terms and conditions, has a perfect rent history and the unit was in excellent shape... the owner sent her a copy of the letter he sent to the management company saying he is more than happy to extend her lease under the existing terms and conditions and was pleased she had contacted him with her concern.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
You need to tell your LL you are considering moving out BEFORE you actually make arrangement to do so. Then you can get those offers and take advantage of them.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Make sure the new LL wants you, then begin the bargaining. Also, if your thinking of moving, tell your present LL and see if you can get a promo offer ahead of time. If your that good, the LL will be glad to negotiate before it's too late. If you find a place with a better deal, tell your prsent LL and try for the same deal. Be ready to split the differance. The LL may not match an offer for another place, but maybe at least bargain a bit. You need to decide the best deal for you.
Not when you have already moved the furniture and stuff out of the old apartment. Why would they give you promo ahead of time? They know the tenant will stay.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Lets see now....I'm a regular customer at Walmart and spend a hefty sum over a yrs time in shopping there.

Next time I go and find an item marked $195.99...think I'll offer a price of $174.95...after all I'm a good cash paying customer and they should give me a better price.

LL's have mortgages to pay along with property taxes etc...give me a break!!!!!!
The taxes, etc is built it to the rent. They can always get another tenant though.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
When in reality I am not then they might even cancel my renewal offer in advance too.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

You'd be surprised just how flexible ppl can be when you hold cold hard cash under their nose.

Not just Wal Mart, but landlords, car dealers, ppl selling their homes, ppl selling their personal belongings...cash has a funny way of changing prices in ppl minds.

I see nothing wrong with haggling a price..we do it all the time when we buy a home or a car..why not when renting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting