Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I get the impression, whether it's a complex or smaller building that all landlords are the same. All they care about is collecting rent and delaying or skipping repairs.
And again, that should have been on your list of priorties in choosing an apartment, not trying to catch the LL in a lie about how much was spent on renovations.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
And again, that should have been on your list of priorties in choosing an apartment, not trying to catch the LL in a lie about how much was spent on renovations.
What should have been on my list?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
What should have been on my list?
You did a lot of posting on the rental forum in the search process asking questions. If you've had past problems with how quickly maintenance requests and repairs are followed up, it should have been at the top of your list. You would have gotten better responses had you posted in the DC forum and could have gotten some great references instead wasting time with all the bs you posted.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You did a lot of posting on the rental forum in the search process asking questions. If you've had past problems with how quickly maintenance requests and repairs are followed up, it should have been at the top of your list. You would have gotten better responses had you posted in the DC forum and could have gotten some great references instead wasting time with all the bs you posted.
DC forum? I think you have me confused with someone else.

And besides, unless you're a psychic, I don't know how a renter can predict that a landlord will be faster vs. another in handling repair requests.
Another thing - my current landlord requested I give them post dated checks until the end of the lease. I declined. Why? First of all the lease stipulates payment on the first of the month and it's my option to send them the check by the first, not hand them all over in advance. Second reason is that if I have to hold back a check and deposit it with the rental board (i.e. landlord refuses to make urgent repairs), I'd have to call my bank and pay a $10 cancellation fee for the post-dated check given to the landlord, not to mention the time and aggravation. So far I've paid for Sept,Oct,Nov on time but the landlord seems to think it's okay to deny me heat and a functioning shower.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:

And besides, unless you're a psychic, I don't know how a renter can predict that a landlord will stall on their end of the deal-making repairs.
No dear..you posted you live in DC.

Thats what questioning and references about potential landlords would have answered. Its not just a matter of you passing their criteria as a good tenant, they have to pass yours as a landlord as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
No dear..you posted you live in DC.
If you're so sure, find and link my post where I said I live in DC. Otherwise you my dear, are welcome to eat humble pie.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:

And besides, unless you're a psychic, I don't know how a renter can predict that a landlord will be faster vs. another in handling repair requests.
Another thing - my current landlord requested I give them post dated checks until the end of the lease. I declined. Why? First of all the lease stipulates payment on the first of the month and it's my option to send them the check by the first, not hand them all over in advance. Second reason is that if I have to hold back a check and deposit it with the rental board (i.e. landlord refuses to make urgent repairs), I'd have to call my bank and pay a $10 cancellation fee for the post-dated check given to the landlord, not to mention the time and aggravation. So far I've paid for Sept,Oct,Nov on time but the landlord seems to think it's okay to deny me heat and a functioning shower.
This is a long thread and I haven't read what other advice you've been given.

Heat and a functioning shower is a habitability issue.

Put the repairs in writing and send them certified mail and keep a copy for your records, you have the right to demand heat and a functioning shower.

......if you're given the run around and vague dates for repair, contact Code Enforcement in your area, but you need to be present for the inspection. The Ll will have no choice but to make the repairs n the time frame Code alots, or face imposed fines.

Last edited by virgode; 11-03-2010 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
If you're so sure, find and link my post where I said I live in DC. Otherwise you my dear, are welcome to eat humble pie.
I might have to eat the humble pie ...for now....I'm not researching you, sorry but you're not that important.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I might have to eat the humble pie ...for now....I'm not researching you, sorry but you're not that important.
Well that teaches you not to assume people live in DC, insist they do, when in fact they don't.

In other news, I just got a call from the so called plumber, after 9pm no less. He was supposed to come fix the shower-he says he's not available tomorrow but he can come Saturday around noon. This is after I told the landlord Friday's my day off and specified that I'd be available pretty much all day. Well guess what? I'm not available Saturday (work). So it looks like the repair will be further delayed. In the meantime the LL's cashed the Nov check. Nice....

Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Well that teaches you not to assume people live in DC, insist they do, when in fact they don't.

In other news, I just got a call from the so called plumber, after 9pm no less. He was supposed to come fix the shower-he says he's not available tomorrow but he can come Saturday around noon. This is after I told the landlord Friday's my day off and specified that I'd be available pretty much all day. Well guess what? I'm not available Saturday (work). So it looks like the repair will be further delayed. In the meantime the LL's cashed the Nov check. Nice....
Lets see here...you want your shower repaired, but you're not willing to make concessions and allow the plumber to enter without your presence?

Why don't you give the LL a call and request him/her to be present for the repair in your absense, or you could ask a friend or family member to be there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting