U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM

688 posts, read 1,059,043 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a place in Wash DC / MD area and have discovered that many places ask for an "administrative fee" that is often several hundred dollars, an "application fee" that runs $25-60 per person, sometimes a "TV fee" in addition to the usual security deposit, etc.

I am not an experienced renter, but I don't recall EVER seeing these types of crazy add-on fees. These fees are not being charged by just one or two ultra lux places, rather by about 75% of the properties we have researched! The administrative fees aren't immediately evident- uusually a small notation soemwhere on the website.

Is this commonplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,266,888 times
I've never heard of those charges. But as a LL. I'd be very interested in knowing what they are for and how to begin charging them for my rentals. If I tried to charge those things I would have lots of vacancies.
I'll be anxious to find out if anyone knows what they are and where they came from.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,015,115 times
there are a few complexes that have those fees where i live, but i don't even know what a tv fee would be for.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Call the local apartment house association and ask... my local one is glad to answer questions.

Don't know how it works in WA

Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 PM

688 posts, read 1,059,043 times
Good idea! Some of these properties have townhomes and condos associated with the management companies- the fees may be an HOA- but I will certainly ask-

Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM

2,060 posts, read 5,063,310 times
The tv fee may be down to an exclusive cable/satellite agreement the building has, we rented one apartment in a high rise that had a quarterly fee due to the company that you had to get your Directv from. Cable wasn't allowed.

The application fee is usually to run your credit report. Around $30-35 is normal. The admin fee - I've seen it at one place but we didn't end up renting there...

Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
We are looking for a place in Wash DC / MD area and have discovered that many places ask for an "administrative fee" that is often several hundred dollars, an "application fee" that runs $25-60 per person, sometimes a "TV fee" in addition to the usual security deposit, etc.

I am not an experienced renter, but I don't recall EVER seeing these types of crazy add-on fees. These fees are not being charged by just one or two ultra lux places, rather by about 75% of the properties we have researched! The administrative fees aren't immediately evident- uusually a small notation soemwhere on the website.

Is this commonplace?
WHere are looking? I've never heard of this? I've rented all over new england and now New York. If you are in NYC don't let on that you are new to the city.....

Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM

5,396 posts, read 13,104,692 times
You and everyone else in the USA have the federally guaranteed legal right to watch FREE modern high quality digital TV. Which you do NOT pay anyone for. Especially in or close to the cities that is a no brainer.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,603,555 times
Quote:

Is this commonplace?
Fees are being added to rentals by predatory property mgmt companies all over the country. It's out of control. I've read literally hundreds of reviews in various cities I'm researching, and there are many, many complaints about fees for everything, some of which are added after the lease is signed. In big metro areas, these prop mgmt companies are getting away with a lot of very questionable tactics due to the competition for places to live and renters not having time or resources to take them to court.

One very large mgmt company in Michigan is "double dipping," in other words, asking tenants for 2 months rent if they break the lease due to a job change, etc, and then they are renting the apartment sooner than 60 days, against Michigan law. One tenant found out after they paid the 60 days of rent that their apt was rented after 30 days, and challenged the prop mgmt company, asking for one month's rent back since the unit was rented. Their response was: "Take us to court if you don't like it." So, basically the Big Boys are intimidating tenants and getting away with predatory illegal activities.

In addition, I would ask any potential rental company to clearly spell out ALL fees associated with a rental, and get it in writing. If they refuse, move on and look elsewhere. A several hundred $$ administrative fee needs to be specifically understood as to what it is for, prior to signing a lease.

Also, I would find out if these places are double dipping on cleaning fees, in other words, asking an tenant who is leaving to pay fees to clean their apt and sometimes not returning deposits, and also asking a new tenant to pay a cleaning fee for the same unit. That's also double dipping. Be sure to ask about all fees associated with exiting an apartment. Many of those fees are not disclosed up front, and tenants don't know about them until they get hit with bills at the end, or their deposits are not returned. Renting is a nightmare these days.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:32 AM

18,373 posts, read 20,110,894 times
Quote:

Is this commonplace?
It sounds like itís becoming commonplace. My buddy called a few weeks ago saying some places out here (Ca) wanted $300 admin fees on top of application fees.

I charge none of those things except for a $38 application/background check fee. I guess I could charge admin fees because itís not illegal to do so. I just CANT charge over a certain state mandated application fee. Sort of like your bank or our esteemed government. They canít tax you without having to have a majority vote, but they can raise fees at will.
There are no limits for admin fees or any other fees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or