Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 AM

354 posts, read 854,980 times

Advertisements

If I have multiple dogs will it be impossible for me to find an apartment to rent? Currently I have a 60lb English Setter and I recently fell in love with another English Setter that is about 50lbs who needs rescued.

I waited a long time to get my first dog because I know how much harder it is to rent with a dog. My Landlord ownes a lot of properties and he said I am one the few tenants that he allows to have dogs. He said he only allows me to have dogs because I have been a very good tenant and he knows I won't let them destroy the place. I have had my dog for six months and she hasn't done any damage so far. The problem is I don't think I will be living in the area I'm currently in for more then a year or two and I really don't want to start saving for a house right now.

My question is it much harder to rent with multiple dogs then it is with one? Landlords would you rent to someone with two big dogs? Tenants do you have any experiences renting with multiple dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
I can speak for myself as a LL. Nope. Past experience with tenants who have one dog and the past experiences of tenants who do not care for a property and thier animal, I would refuse to rent to anyone with 2 big dogs. You may be responsible and your dogs may be well behaved, but your up against history. You may be able to find a house to rent, not one of mine.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 AM

354 posts, read 854,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I can speak for myself as a LL. Nope. Past experience with tenants who have one dog and the past experiences of tenants who do not care for a property and thier animal, I would refuse to rent to anyone with 2 big dogs. You may be responsible and your dogs may be well behaved, but your up against history. You may be able to find a house to rent, not one of mine.
I don't think it's fair to judge all dog owners because some of us are irresponsible but I understand where your coming from! When I walk my dog I get embarrassed seeing where people haven't cleanup up after their dogs. When your walking them its very easy to pick up after them yet people still let them crap on the sidewalk in front of other people's houses. I'm sure many LL have had really bad experiances renting to people with pets.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:16 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I don't think it's fair to judge all dog owners because some of us are irresponsible but I understand where your coming from! When I walk my dog I get embarrassed seeing where people haven't cleanup up after their dogs. When your walking them its very easy to pick up after them yet people still let them crap on the sidewalk in front of other people's houses. I'm sure many LL have had really bad experiances renting to people with pets.
ddm, you are right, it is not fair. But from the landlord's point of view, it is hard to know which dog owners are irresponsible. A lot of landlord's just say no as it eliminates the guessing.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
My liability carrier has done site inspections to verify presence of prohibited breeds...

I do not allow dogs... it keep things simple and avoids any appearance of special treatment.

Liability is my primary concern... letter carrier won a mid 6 figure law suit a few doors down from one of the rentals I manage and I've had to deal with dug-up lawns, owners not picking up after their dogs, urine stains/damaged hardwood and one tenant that kept a dog locked in the bathroom during the day and the dog actually broke through the door and tore-up the floor.

You maybe will find someone... just don't know who.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-10-2010 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Will it be impossible? No. Will it be much harder to find a place and cost you a lot more money? Probably.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 12,081 times
There are plenty of options for you to rent with two good sized dogs.. I have 2 English bulldogs, one is 45 lbs and the other is just about 40. I also have 3 cats, and have never had any issues renting a place. I have rented from both private owners and rental communities and have not had any issues. I pay my pet deposit, clean up after my animals, and shampoo carpets regularly because I do not like to walk in and smell my pets... It may cost you more money up front as many people are cautious about renting to pet owners, but you can find quite a few great places to rent!! Good luck!!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,482 times
You might have to do more legwork to find a landlord that will take pets but they are out there. My current landlord has no problem with pets (nor did my previous). I have a dog and a cat. At one time we had two dogs. I find that private owners are a little more lenient. Our landlord is so OK with it that he actually just put in new carpet while we still have the dog and cat. Of course we have also lived in the same house for 13 years.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 AM

383 posts, read 641,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
If I have multiple dogs will it be impossible for me to find an apartment to rent? Currently I have a 60lb English Setter and I recently fell in love with another English Setter that is about 50lbs who needs rescued.

I waited a long time to get my first dog because I know how much harder it is to rent with a dog. My Landlord ownes a lot of properties and he said I am one the few tenants that he allows to have dogs. He said he only allows me to have dogs because I have been a very good tenant and he knows I won't let them destroy the place. I have had my dog for six months and she hasn't done any damage so far. The problem is I don't think I will be living in the area I'm currently in for more then a year or two and I really don't want to start saving for a house right now.

My question is it much harder to rent with multiple dogs then it is with one? Landlords would you rent to someone with two big dogs? Tenants do you have any experiences renting with multiple dogs?
What I would do...I own three dogs one cat...we rented but now own a home. My dogs are show dogs, so they are crated when we aren't home or at my trainers boarding facility when we travel. Crate train your dogs, and get them to a trainer. Not that they're bad dogs, just so you can get a reference from said trainer that they are trained, well behaved...and etc. Then prepare to put down a huge deposit on them for the next rental. Oh and look for a home, preferably with tile or hardwood floors.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:53 PM

66 posts, read 137,032 times
I currently rent with 5 cats and 3 horses. If you're looking for a rental near Dunnellon, FL, this one is available and she'll take your dogs. She'll take anybody that can afford $1100 a month at this point. Nice house, 6 acres, nice neighborhood. Great landlady. We bought a house and will be out by 12/1. Landlady has already said she's refunding my security deposit. Lots of hungry landlords in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting