Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You should be able to find the perfect place for you and your pets. After many many years of renting w/dogs there are a few things to be advised of, though. First and foremost...be sure you look for a place w/tile floors. No carpet and no hardwood or laminate, for obvious reasons. I don't know why LL's insist on carpet. It baffles me. Anyway, Besure you have a yard and a clear rental/lease that allows your pets. Maybe now is,indeed, the time to start saving for that house of yours.
As to carpet... I can't rent without it.

Had a beautiful 4 unit building with gorgeous refinished hardwood... absolutely couldn't rent it... in desperation, I had a tenant said she would if I would install carpet... I did and ended up doing the other 3

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-22-2010 at 12:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You should be able to find the perfect place for you and your pets. After many many years of renting w/dogs there are a few things to be advised of, though. First and foremost...be sure you look for a place w/tile floors. No carpet and no hardwood or laminate, for obvious reasons. I don't know why LL's insist on carpet. It baffles me. Anyway, Besure you have a yard and a clear rental/lease that allows your pets. Maybe now is,indeed, the time to start saving for that house of yours.
I've never seen a house with all tile floors. All houses in our area have carpet, laminate, or hardwood floors. Expensive houses may have tile floors in the bathrooms, but that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As to carpet... I can't rent without it.

Had a beautiful 4 unit building with gorgeous refinished hardwood... absolutely couldn't rent it... in desperation, I had a tenant said she would if I would install carpet... I did and ended up doing the other 3
Carpet is by far the norm here too. We do have some rentals with some laminate floors, with carpet in bedrooms. And some with hardwood floors, and carpet in bedrooms. It is what is expected here. Personally, I hate hard floors, and would never rent or buy someplace with no carpet.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
The Oakland Housing Authority built a number of apartments with all vinyl floors... no carpet, hardwood or tile. The Maintenance Director said the upfront cost is a little higher, but is quickly recovered on turn-overs.

Tile must be a regional thing.

Friends that originally came from Mexico have a lovely home they built... it is all Tile... I commented that I had only seen this in places like Hawaii and Florida and learned it is rather common in the part of Mexico they are from.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 PM

383 posts, read 641,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I've never seen a house with all tile floors. All houses in our area have carpet, laminate, or hardwood floors. Expensive houses may have tile floors in the bathrooms, but that is all.

Carpet is by far the norm here too. We do have some rentals with some laminate floors, with carpet in bedrooms. And some with hardwood floors, and carpet in bedrooms. It is what is expected here. Personally, I hate hard floors, and would never rent or buy someplace with no carpet.
My house has all tile, and no I had the carpet pulled and replaced it with 20" tile, but then again I own this home...errr or rather the bank does. The last rental we lived in, were all tile and wood floors. With dogs you must choose carefully. I, personally hate carpet....they get so nasty, even without pets.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
My house has all tile, and no I had the carpet pulled and replaced it with 20" tile, but then again I own this home...errr or rather the bank does. The last rental we lived in, were all tile and wood floors. With dogs you must choose carefully. I, personally hate carpet....they get so nasty, even without pets.
I really don't think it has to do with own vs. rent. The office I work in is, in addition to a property management company, also a builder of higher end custom homes, and a real estate office, so I see many many homes, both owned and rented, and in all price ranges. In my area, tile is an accent, to be used in entryways and bathrooms. For example, in the house I grew up in, which was a 6000 square foot beauty, there was only tile in the entryway, and in the master bath. The kitchen was hardwood, the shop was glazed concrete, the other bathrooms and the laundry room were vinyl. Everything else was carpet. That is totally the norm here.

And in that house, we had the same carpet for 12 years, and it looked almost as good the day we moved out as it did the day we installed it. And we always had a cat, that entire time. My current house has 7 year old carpet that still looks brand new, and I have 2 cats. Good quality carpet that is well cared for doesn't get nasty. But it does take a little bit more care than hard floors do, which renters don't tend to do, I agree with that.

I think Ultrarunner is right and that it must be a regional thing. I bet that if I searched our MLS today, out of thousands of homes listed, there MIGHT be one or two that have tile floors. And they would probably be in the uppermost 5% price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting