Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 21,197 times

Advertisements

So im here in Phoenix, and i have a dilemma, i moved into an apartment that has phone jacks and cable hookups, but when i call Qwest to set up my DSL service, they're telling me the landlord made an agreement with the cable company to where i cannot have traditional landline/DSL service.

I would not mind having Cox but i have to run 10000 wires from the phone box to the various rooms, and they charge $20 more a month for less than 1/2 the speed i can get from Qwest.

The phone jacks have voltage on them from some where, so i cannot just plug the MTA adaptor into a jack and use them, so unless i buy a whole new phone system ~$100 and i still have to pay Cox $60 more a month for less than what i got with Qwest (no LD and less than 1/2 the speed i had)

Any advice on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,645,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad162 View Post
So im here in Phoenix, and i have a dilemma, i moved into an apartment that has phone jacks and cable hookups, but when i call Qwest to set up my DSL service, they're telling me the landlord made an agreement with the cable company to where i cannot have traditional landline/DSL service.

I would not mind having Cox but i have to run 10000 wires from the phone box to the various rooms, and they charge $20 more a month for less than 1/2 the speed i can get from Qwest.

The phone jacks have voltage on them from some where, so i cannot just plug the MTA adaptor into a jack and use them, so unless i buy a whole new phone system ~$100 and i still have to pay Cox $60 more a month for less than what i got with Qwest (no LD and less than 1/2 the speed i had)

Any advice on this?
Is Cox Cable mandatory in your lease? I would call Qwest again and ask for more details, or I would just call again and get a diff representative until they will install. What your landlord is doing might be against anti trust regulations but thats not small claims stuff and you don't want to pay for that litigation. Other than that I would suggest you get more details from Qwest and get in touch with the FCC if you can.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM

318 posts, read 868,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad162 View Post

Any advice on this?
I'm sorry that I can't comment on this but the fact that they might even be able to do this is scary. I know that corporations do it all the time in contractual agreements, but the fact that some dickwad landlord would throw this into your lease is scary.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM

it's a management company that made the agreement apparently..

i'm just pissed because i want the 40meg down 5meg up VDSL they have but i cant get it, and the same speed from Cox is going to be ~100/mo

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,843,942 times
Read the lease. They may have an exclusive agreement. Or it may be that cable is provided in your rent and that needs to be specified in the lease. Read the lease and go from there.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Read the lease. They may have an exclusive agreement. Or it may be that cable is provided in your rent and that needs to be specified in the lease. Read the lease and go from there.
No cable provided in the lease, i'm paying cox directly.. im upset though considering that the most i'm getting on my 25Mbps connection from ~8am-midnight is ~4mbps and all cox says is "well your signal level is good", so i dont know what im suppose to do with them, they're worse than Time Warner was back in Ohio at this point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting