Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:21 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a long story. A friend of mine lives in an apartment and has a contentious relationship with the landlord. Recently he had a large snafu with his student loan payment in which the company added(not his fault) a couple of extra zeros to his payment. So this caused some bounced checks obviously. He called his landlord and told him of the problem and that his check might bounce. The landlord refused and issued him a "notice to quit" and a "notice of lease termination" which included a demand that he vacate within in seven days (not a "notice to cure or quit" "pay or quit") etc. The check presented to the landlord cleared

Now my friend does not want to continue with the landlord, and wanted to know whether the lease with the landlord was in fact terminated and if he was free to move Can he vacate within seven days without penalty(as demanded the letter did not mention damages)? The landlord only wanted him out if he was responsible for the rent until it was rerented. Now that this is not the case the landlord does not want out of the lease. Is he allowed to do this even though he was terminated it, or can my friend vacate and the lease is terminated. Must he leave within the 7 days? He would like more time but he is willing and able to vacate in this time period in order to get out of the lease. THe friend does not wish to litigate against the landlord(for his breach) but wants to leave.
Also to note is that his rent is current etc and he has no lease violations.

Last edited by jdm2008; 11-20-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
You need to make clear sentences. What your saying does not make alot of sense. There needs to be a reason for the lease termination. If the LL issued a reason for termnation and your friend wants to move, then move. He/she has 7 days. Do it.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You need to make clear sentences. What your saying does not make alot of sense. There needs to be a reason for the lease termination. If the LL issued a reason for termnation and your friend wants to move, then move. He/she has 7 days. Do it.
The landlord served my friend with lease termination for non payment of rent(because he thought the check would bounce). The check cleared after the landlord issued the lease termination(if he didn't pay he would have been in violation and liable for the vacancy). So the landlord had no reason to terminate and tried to withdraw the termination. My friend did not want to stay so he wants to leave anyways. The landlord says he is liable till he gets the rented because he withdrew his request/demand.

Last edited by jdm2008; 11-20-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 07:01 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
How much time is left on the lease? If only about 6 months, why not just take his time and enjoy the holidays and look more carefully for the next place......

Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
How much time is left on the lease? If only about 6 months, why not just take his time and enjoy the holidays and look more carefully for the next place......
It's longer than that and I agree but the landlord's maintenance issues were serious(sewage) and even though he has corrected them(after he was fined) he is retaliating/harassing and entering excessively

Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The landlord served my friend with lease termination for non payment of rent(because he thought the check would bounce). The check cleared after the landlord issued the lease termination(if he didn't pay he would have been in violation and liable for the vacancy). So the landlord had no reason to terminate and tried to withdraw the termination. My friend did not want to stay so he wants to leave anyways. The landlord says he is liable till he gets the rented because he withdrew his request/demand.
My question would be why your friend is asking you what to do instead of a lawyer.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
My question would be why your friend is asking you what to do instead of a lawyer.
He is probably asking me because I'm not charging $400/hr....

Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
He is probably asking me because I'm not charging $400/hr....
Then he's sure to get exactly what's he's paying for.

There are low cost legal aid clinics, even law schools offer legal advice. Pro bono work is a requirement for lawyers. There are viable options for good legal advice to help your friend. Be a friend by suggesting he consult someone who can actually help in this situation.

Friends are priceless, and God bless you for wanting to help, but this is not something a buddy can help with. Unless that buddy is a lawyer.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
If a Pay or Quit notice is served, you have 2 options. Pay, or Quit (meaning move out). He has paid his rent, it's not late, so the Notice has been satisfied. the LL no doubt jumped the gun by serving the notice before he even knew if the check would bounce but still, if there is no late rent, the notice is a moot point.

Now the issue of retaliation is another matter. If your friend believes this is what's happening then yes, he needs to get some legal advice before proceeding.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
If a Pay or Quit notice is served, you have 2 options. Pay, or Quit (meaning move out). He has paid his rent, it's not late, so the Notice has been satisfied. the LL no doubt jumped the gun by serving the notice before he even knew if the check would bounce but still, if there is no late rent, the notice is a moot point.

Now the issue of retaliation is another matter. If your friend believes this is what's happening then yes, he needs to get some legal advice before proceeding.
He wasn't given a notice to pay or quit though. He was given a notice to quit(lease termination and vacate demand)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting