Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is really funny. Either you have poor reading comprehension skills or you did not read my initial post in which I said these people are relatives . . .Nowhere did I say I was their landlord.
A combination of both at the time.

I do apologize for being the rude dolt in my response especially since you clearly stated the facts that my dumb-*rse brain didn;t comprehend.

My sincere apologies for being the jerk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Very interesting. Can someone tell me what to search to find applicable City statutes on this issue . . . what words to put into google or whatever . . .

Thanks again!

I am not sure why this is not common knowledge or maybe it is and I am the only one who cannot figure it out.
I'm not certain why you are borrowing trouble over something you may have no control over.

You should first have this discussion with the elderly relatives involved. Unbenownst to you, they may already have a plan in place. If not you can offer to help put a plan in place and volunteer to be that executor of their will/estate. They may accept your help; or, they may not. At this point it is their decision, not yours.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Thank you, Pacific. Not a problem. And Lifelong . . . good points. The problem is that people call me at the last minute with emergencies and I don't always know how to respond, so wanted to be prepared. They don't have wills and if they did, I would not want to be executor. I think you may have missed that they are both on the fringe of society . . .

Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Normally the landlord has obtained a contact (next of kin, In case of emergency, etc) on the rental application. In the event of death, or removal from the premises for more than the period of time the rent has covered, the terms of the rental agreement are executed. In the absence of an agreement, the landlord operates according to local and state laws, code, or ordinance.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
You know this has been a wakeup call. Think I am going to ask my LL. Right now my son & I live together so not a problem but IF we were to get seperate apts [and I move to Fla LOL] It would be nice to know how this is handled. I sure I would not want to come 1000 miles nor he to clean each others apts out! THANKS OP!!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 PM

You're welcome. Let us know if you find anything interesting.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
I have two unhealthy relatives and have been wondering about what would happen to their apartments if they were to die. I am the one in the family who is expected to figure this stuff out and I have been racking my brain and wonder what happens . . . both of these people are somewhat on the fringe of society, which is why it is more of a problem than you might think it would be for regular relatives:

Person #1: Lives maybe 200 miles away - no one in the family has ever been to his apt. He has a close friend in town that I know of. The relative is not in great health and is in his early 70's.

Person #2: Lives locally. Is disabled and has a very filthy environment. Can hardly be visited because of the state of the apartment. Has a maid, but there are still issues.

What is the normal course of events when someone dies who lives in an apartment and does not have close relatives? Who cleans out the apartment? Do people hire other special crews to do this? What about going through papers and stuff?

What do landlords do when someone dies in an apartment? What if a person dies on the 30th of the month and rent is due?

Has anyone else thought about these issues? I just want to be prepared and I honestly have no idea what to do. It feels very overwhelming.

When a person dies intestate (without a will), the local jurisdiction takes over and settles the estate. They attempt to notify any relatives or next of kin. They also put a notice in the local newspaper stating that anyone having any claim against the estate needs to file the paperwork with the court.

The best thing you can do is let the landlord know who you are and how to get in touch with you if a death occurs. That way you can be available when the estate is settled to put in a claim for any of the personal items of the deceased that you feel you are entitled to.

The court appoints an administrator who pays any outstanding debts from the assets of the estate.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
The LL can only take any direction from the tenant as to who is or would be allowed into the unit. As a LL, I would NOT allow anyone into a unit without the approval of the tenant. That is why I get an emergency contact on the application. As has happen in the past, that is the only person i will allow into a unit if the person is incapacitated or dies. The best route to go is to have the relatives, who are the tenants, tell the LL who can be allowed into the unit,
As was previously stated, the LL can put everything into storage until the courts designate an executor in the absence of an emergency contact in the lease.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
With no living relatives, the county will clean out the home or apt and sell anything of value at auction.
The county I used to live in held an aution once every month and sold all the items of the deceased who either had no relatives, or had relative far away and wern't interested in traveling to the location. In the latter case, they would sell the property, settle any claims, and send any monies left over to the next of kin.
Those auctions were fun, you could find abslutely anything a person might own, including vehicles, boats, mobile homes, anything and everything you might imagine.
Inside the warehouse were rows and rows of boxes. You stand behind a counter and ask to see box number XXX, and they let you look into it, then you can recored the box number if you wish to bid on it.
It's like treasure hunting, some times you get gold, sometime you get gravel...! A fun way to spend a Saturday, because it takes all day.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Wow. That is fascinating. What state is that? I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting