Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 787 times

Advertisements

My tenant signed a year rental agreement and left Sept 30, 2014. Three months before the lease terminated. The home was left dirty and there was some minor damages like a medium size hole in the wall, the carpet was soiled, stove was dirty, and so forth. I placed an ad in Craigslist for two weeks stating that the home was in disarray due to last tenants but would be available November 1. Did I make a mistake by stating that my former tenants left the home in disarray? Is this considered false accusation? I am new to this so any knowledge you can share with me would greatly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
I don't see how it could be considered any form of defamation, but what it tells potential renters is the place is a steaming pile of pig slop with damages just short of an explosion and they will regret renting so they should be looking elsewhere.

Next time just say "unit is occupied and will become available XX date." Its best to make it presentable instead of trying to show it while its not ready because most tenants will not see the other tenant as causing the issues, they will see you as the slumlord renting a derelict place.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
What you said is basically unprofessional. In the future don't advertise until the property is move in ready, and then stick to describing your property instead of former tenants.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
If you were in a hurry to get traffic but the place was not ready for occupancy until Nov 1st, it would have been better to just say not available until Nov 1st. Then you could have explained to each prescreened potential applicant that you felt worthy of viewing the house that the place is getting a major cleanup. No need to present anything else. You do prescreen people before they get to see the place, right???

But, don't worry about defaming former tenants by your prior advertisement regarding the condition of the place.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emileekayla2 View Post
My tenant signed a year rental agreement and left Sept 30, 2014.
Three months before the lease terminated.

The home was left dirty and there was some minor damages...
Who owns the home? You, right?

Taking care of your property is YOUR job.
How it got dirty or broken is immaterial.

Quote:
I am new to this so...
When a tenant leaves the LL's #1jo is to "make ready".
Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it isn't.
But until it's done you can't and shouldn't do anything else.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:49 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't show a place dirty. All you will get is a tenant who thinks the dirt looks OK and that dirt is acceptable to the landlord.

You can start to advertise that the place will be available on the first, but you don't show. You take phone numbers to call when the place is ready to show.

The worst I do is in the winter, I don't clean carpet until the new rental agreement has been signed. Prospective tenants do understand that people are tramping through with mud or snow on their feet, so I am putting off cleaning the carpet. However, I would not do that if the carpet actually looked dirty and I certainly wouldn't show if anything else about the house needed cleaning or repair.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:52 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Adding this: I let my applicants know I am a tough landlord and I would not let on that any tenant trashed my house. Let them think I won't allow a tenant like that to rent from me. Try to scare off the slobs before they apply.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Word of advice.

Be professional. Even if the tenant is a crap head. Don't show a place dirty. Fix it paint it clean it etc. Then simply advertize/show it. Don't get in lengthy discussions about your last tenant and bad mouth anyone. Theire gone. Move on. Concentrate on screening and finding better tenants. I personally don't show until it's ready to rent.
You can be nice and still get your point across about your expectations. You show a clean well maintained place the tenant knows that's what you expect. You can also put in the lease periodic inspections for rodents leaks and furnace filter changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting