Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabblesavant View Post
Is that legal?
In the state of Missouri, if you are renting a single family dwelling the only protected class is race.

Even if it weren't, they would have to PROVE that would be the reason I wasn't renting to them. All I have to say is "Sorry" and not give them any explanation at all.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:46 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,130,095 times
I know California has a specific law prohibiting discrimination based on marital status so it is likely there is no federal law. A lot of people think it is discrimination but it is her choice. I don't rent to people with FICO scores less than 800 and I get a lot of flack about that. It is just what I am comfortable with.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,130,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
In the state of Missouri, if you are renting a single family dwelling the only protected class is race.

Even if it weren't, they would have to PROVE that would be the reason I wasn't renting to them. All I have to say is "Sorry" and not give them any explanation at all.

20yrsinBranson
It looks like there is more than just race in Missouri Missouri Labor | Discrimination in Housing
In fact Familial Status Discrimination could be interpreted as unmarried couples.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
It looks like there is more than just race in Missouri Missouri Labor | Discrimination in Housing
In fact Familial Status Discrimination could be interpreted as unmarried couples.

That is incorrect. May I refer you to the following:

Chapter 213, Missouri Revissed Statutes, Section 213:040, wherein it states:

13. Nothing in this chapter, other than the prohibitions against discriminatory advertising in subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section, shall apply to:

(1) The sale or rental of any single family house by a private individual owner, provided the following conditions are met:

(a) The private individual owner does not own or have any interest in more than three single family houses at any one time; and
(b) The house is sold or rented without the use of a real estate broker, agent or salesperson or the facilities of any person in the business of selling or renting dwellings and without publication, posting or mailing of any advertisement. If the owner selling the house does not reside in it at the time of the sale or was not the most recent resident of the house prior to such sale, the exemption in this section applies to only one such sale in any twenty-four-month period;...

So you see, that if you are renting a single family house, and you are not using the services of a real estate broker, the ONLY class that is protected in discrimination is RACE. Please feel free to read the entire statute for yourself, since quoting the entire thing would be impossible, and against CD's TOS.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting