U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Rental #1 12 50.00%
Rental #2 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,770,558 times

Advertisements

If you had 2 apartment rentals to choose from, both with the same rent:

1) First one in an upscale neighborhood (i.e. Irvine, CA or Newport Beach, CA) but quality is not that great (very small, old, not many facilities).. pretty much bare minimum.

2) Second one in a so-so great neighborhood (i.e. Anaheim, CA) but the quality is excellent (lots of space, new, furnished, convenient, etc.)

Which one would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM

2,419 posts, read 5,407,730 times
To me, location is much better. Than again, I don't spend much time inside my apartment. In all actuality, it's just a place to hang my hat. If you spend lots of time in your home, you may opt for the better place in a so-so neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 PM

232 posts, read 1,392,577 times
What makes the neighborhood so-so? Is it a higher crime area? Or is it just an older neighborhood?

Unlike the prior poster, I tend to spend a lot of time within my apartment (stay at home mom), so I would consider the size and function of an apartment to be more important, although the neighborhood would definitely be a consideration. I could have the best apartment in the world, but if my place is broken into, that would lead to me no longer feeling safe there and no longer able to enjoy it.

Why don't you make a list of pros and cons for each choice? What do you like about them? Compare that - if there is one choice that has a lot more pros, then maybe you should go with that one.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 PM

7,688 posts, read 25,679,222 times
In the past, I have always gone for the crappy apartment in the great location. Every time, I have regretted it. Even if you have considerate neighbors (sure, that happens! sometimes!!), you're going to hear a lot more of them in the old creakbox than you are in a well-built new building. But what has happened to me every time is I get the worst people in a great neighborhood as neighbors, which amplifies the issue even more. So this time I'm going for a well built building in a slightly sketchy area - but it's gated and has afterhours access control.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 AM

17 posts, read 39,297 times
I'm not sure which specific areas of Anaheim you're talking about, but over all, I'm familiar with all the cities you mentioned. Except for the Anaheim Hills area, which is soooo expen$ive, most of Anaheim is not brand new or upscale yuppy-type areas like Irvine or Newport Beach.

The Irvine and Newport areas are probably more in line with the younger generation who want to live close to upscale shops, restaurants, hidden treasures of coffee shops and boutiques, not to mention having a beach address for Newport.

For my money's worth and the bit of wisdom that comes with age, I'd go for the so-so great neighborhood. If Irvine and Newport float your boat, go for the "posh" *address* and best of luck to ya.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 PM

914 posts, read 3,951,296 times
Definitely the great apartment in the so-so neighborhood. I'm with sonarrat in that whenever I live in a neighborhood that is very nice or trendy, I tend to have the most craptacular neighbors.

I'm a homebody, so I like being home anyway. I would definitely give up some local amenities for a super awesome apartment.

Right now I live in a so-so apartment in a so-so neighborhood. Meh.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:31 PM

158 posts, read 506,470 times
I'd much rather live in a shoebox in a better neighbourhood than I would living in a better apartment in a sketchy area. Believe me.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:52 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,935,489 times
I prefer a better neighborhood with an average apartment. Better neighborhoods translates to less obnoxious neighbors in my experience.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,852,881 times
Better neighborhood any day of the week. I'll take my chance with less poorer construction than with annoying and obnoxious neighbors.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,462,006 times
Tend to go with the better apartment if the apartment community is, as you said, gated and the apartment complex was nice. I own an investment property in a pretty sketchy part of town but the gated condo community is great and the people who live/own there are all really interesting....kind of artsy..but generally a group of people you would expect to live with in a great part of town. So this little mecca sits like a hidden jewel with beautiful mouldings, built-ins, granite, stainless, etc. My tenant loves it. He'd pay 2x the rent anywhere else. Outside the gates is pretty ethnic and commercial, but not high crime. However, 4 blocks over is high end real estate again....city life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or